You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The fall & fall of the SPL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Absolutely Use Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The fall & fall of the SPL
    Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 6:13am
The top flight of Scottish football has gone from the heights of being the 1st British club to win the European Cup, in Celtic  to what happened during the week with Hearts getting well beaten by Spurs 5-0.

Whats actually makes this result worse in that Hearts have actually played 4 league games in the SPL and a few European games while Spurs 1st league was cancelled last weekend. THe game was like a training game for Spurs. The Hearts team looked beaten before it even kicked a ball. They lacked ideas had no creativity and were unable to defend. Our course there is a huge gulf in the fund available to both manager to build there squads but the gluf in class ws endless.

Both Celtic  & Rangers also played this week and had less that flattering results, when Celtic only drawing 0-0 with Swiss side Sion and Rangers losing to a slovenian side. These results indicate the serious state that Scottish football is in. Both Celtic & Rangers have spend vast sums of money on players, maybe not this year both certainly over the years that they should be performing better than this.

Each year when the SPL starts, only 2 clubs have a realistic chance of wining the league and once in a blue moon the like of Hearts split the 2 Glasgow sides. I am a Celtic fan and have been to Parkhead on numerous occausions and have also been to a few other grounds to watch other SPL sides, but the quality of the SPL has serious dipped over the last few years, possibly even a decade or so. Scottish football needs the other sides other than the big 2 to challenage for top honours, but by doing this they will need to hang on to there better players but this is never going to happen, Scottish football is destined to struggle for forseeable future.
Say nothing till you hear more
Sponsored Links

Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 6:22am
At the current rate Scotland will be down to 28th in the co-efficient next year. Only 5 ahead of Ireland.
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG
PaddyBurke View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyBurke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 6:33am
I'd bet that Shamrock Rovers would do better than against Spurs and the Slovenian team than Hearts and Rangers did. Irish football will over take scotland at the current rate.
Absolutely Use View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Absolutely Use Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 6:36am
Originally posted by John Caulfield John Caulfield wrote:

I'd bet that Shamrock Rovers would do better than against Spurs and the Slovenian team than Hearts and Rangers did. Irish football will over take scotland at the current rate.
On current form, i'd certainly bet on Shamrock Rovers beating Hearts over 2 legs
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 7:00am
look at the most recent loi vs spl results in europe
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
samscafe View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samscafe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 7:00am
Hearts have spent the least amount of money on transfers than any other club in the spl.   Hearts are controlled by an absolute twat 'Mad Vlad' who could easily ruin Man U in three seasons, he's had 7 years of undermining Hearts.

The one year Hearts got their act together and when cruising at the top of the league he sacked the manager and replaced him with Brian Rix.   The guy is an out and out idiot. 
Certain mods are complete wankstains
athlonecelt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athlonecelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 12:18pm
Scottish football is indeed brutal. The best thing that ever happened to it was the ban on English teams in Europe. This helped Rangers to attract the top British players and dominate.  In the last ten years Celtic strike force has gone from Larsson and Sutton, to Hesselink and McDonald, to Stokes and Samaras and Hooper, what next ??????
The SPL has been absolutely blown out of the water by the Pl. Theres no way back.

At least League of Ireland can argue that we have to compete with hurling and football. 
Scottish fans are biggoted f**ks who never get behind their teams. Dundee, Aberdeen, Hibs , Hearts playin in empty stadia, no excuses.
Teams regularly lie down against Rangers as there terrible hatred of Irish / Celtic in Scotland.

Edited by athlonecelt - 20 Aug 2011 at 12:21pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 12:38pm
The only thing I can disagree with is "Both Celtic & Rangers have spend vast sums of money on players"

Neither club have much money have not spend much on players.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
samscafe View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samscafe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 12:29am
Athlone, ffs man, that has to be close to the stupidist post in the history of stupid postsLOLLOL

When the feck did we start to judge the SPL against the bloated EPL?   If you want to compare apples with apples you compare the SPL with comparible sized leagues, Scandinavia for instance, Denmark, etc. 

Edited by samscafe - 21 Aug 2011 at 12:32am
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athlonecelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 6:06am
I dont know sam. You're a bit harsh there.
The point I am making is that if you look at Hearts V Aberdeen (Aberdeen who have won European Cup) , the stadium is empty .
Where are all the fans gone ? They are at home watching the Premier League, or in a pub watching the Premier League.
In years gone by, this fixture would be a sell out. They have totally given up on their local teams.
Sky Sports has a game on telly throughout the weekend. Maybe the Spl shoul move to Friday nights. But I dont really care about them anyway.

The big bad 'PREMIER LEAGUE' is the reason for Scottish footballs struggles.
Everyone wants to be in it, adevertising in it, playing in it, watching it, etc etc etc.

I talked to a Sporting Lisbon fan, who told me they cant half fill there stadium these days and that the Premier League is more popular in f**king Portugal these days that the Portuguese league. This is coming from a nation who can produce really technical and talented footballers. The ****s are all watching Chelsea V West Brom.

Then here in Ireland we here 'sher the tickets are too expensive' , thats bullsh*t too because when Irelland played Croatia you could pick up free tickets everywhere, and nobody came. They were all at home hoping for no injurys to their premiership players.

Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 7:57am
Originally posted by athlonecelt athlonecelt wrote:

The point I am making is that if you look at Hearts V Aberdeen (Aberdeen who have won European Cup) , the stadium is empty .
Where are all the fans gone ? They are at home watching the Premier League, or in a pub watching the Premier League.
In years gone by, this fixture would be a sell out. They have totally given up on their local teams.
Sky Sports has a game on telly throughout the weekend. Maybe the Spl shoul move to Friday nights. But I dont really care about them anyway.

they won the cup winners cup
GINN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GINN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 3:38pm
rangers looked a very average side today. motherwell producing some decent play, and if not for their poor final ball probably could have had 3 points. very dissappointing scoreline for them in the end.
GINN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GINN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 3:39pm
not to mention celtic getting beaten 1 nil by st. johnston at home Dead
Absolutely Use View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Absolutely Use Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 5:43am
I didn't think it could fall much more
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 5:49am
zzz

Edited by fear-glas - 10 Nov 2022 at 8:56pm
Johnnybhoy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 6:14am
Originally posted by fear-glas fear-glas wrote:

10 years ago the lower ranked teams of the SPL couldn't compete with the English Conference when signing players, now it seems Rangers and Celtic are finding it difficult to compete with Championship teams in signing players. Celtic's demise IMO is caused somewhat by the departure of Gordon Strachan.

Not sure i agree with that, celtic and rangers demise is due to the amount of money in the english premier league anfd football in general, simple as they cannot compete with it, championshipplayers are on iger wages

the days of signing suttons, hartsons, flo, laudrup, and lennons are long long gone
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athlonecelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 6:44pm

Jaysus, samscafe will be laughing at that. He said my post about the premier league was the stupidest ever on the forum

Its all about the f**king premier league. Where are the fans in Scotland gone ? Watching Man United just like in Ireland
samscafe View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samscafe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by athlonecelt athlonecelt wrote:

The big bad 'PREMIER LEAGUE' is the reason for Scottish footballs struggles.
Everyone wants to be in it, adevertising in it, playing in it, watching it, etc etc etc.

I talked to a Sporting Lisbon fan, who told me they cant half fill there stadium these days and that the Premier League is more popular in f**king Portugal these days that the Portuguese league. This is coming from a nation who can produce really technical and talented footballers. The ****s are all watching Chelsea V West Brom.

Then here in Ireland we here 'sher the tickets are too expensive' , thats bullsh*t too because when Irelland played Croatia you could pick up free tickets everywhere, and nobody came. They were all at home hoping for no injurys to their premiership players.

Sorry man didn't mean to be harsh.   The bloated EPL will destroy leagues all around it, indeed it will eventually destroy itself because we are clearly in an era where the number of clubs who can win that league is an ever reducing number.  Man City are trying to buy their way onto that table (spending over £200 million), but lets be honest outside Chelsea, Man U and possibly now Man City no one else will get near it.     

As for crowds, Celtic and Rangers continue to have crowds that most most EPL clubs can only wish for, each week its between 40,000 and 60,000 at each home game.  However, neither Celtic or Rangers get handed £40,000,000 TV money just for turning up, at best they get £3 million.  The game in Scotland has had to cut its cloth accordingly.   To therefore make comparisons between the SPL and the current EPL is a nonsense.   However, you are wrong regarding EPL watching, thanfully it has not reached the horrible level it has in the Republic.  Its background in the pub at best up here.  What is making an impact is cost, as I said in terms of quality right now the SPL has had to cut its cloth, unfortunately it has not also cut its prices, instead for a dad to take two kids to a match you are looking at a minimum £50-£60, 4 games a month and that's a helluva amount of family budget.   It's too expensive, we have to follow the German model, get prices down, get crowds back.  Nothing compares with being there .......and its better for your liver.            
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic