You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The EIRE's best ever goal in a major finals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Poll Question: Which was the most beautifully worked goal?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [5.17%]
7 [12.07%]
2 [3.45%]
2 [3.45%]
3 [5.17%]
5 [8.62%]
34 [58.62%]
2 [3.45%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

How has Matt Holland got more votes than Ray v Italy ffs 

From the point of view of technical brilliance, Houghton’s goal against Italy was a long way from Holland’s. Pagliuca’s positioning was wretched and Baresi’s header set him up.

Holland’s strike, was technically, very good.
Sponsored Links

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 12:56pm
I was only thinking of starting a similar thread.

Tj you must be reading The 42s articles on USA 94 as well LOL
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 1:45pm
Aldridge’s goal against Mexico would be mine. Brilliant move, great movement from him and a technically perfect header. 
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 1:49pm
The next one ....
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

I'm actually not sure what Robbie Brady's penno against France is doing in that poll tbh - when I saw the ball hit the post, I thought he had missed only for the net to ripple a split-second later. LOL

I was particularly impressed with his technique of putting the ball on the spot.  Flawless hand eye co-ordination.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

I was only thinking of starting a similar thread.

Tj you must be reading The 42s articles on USA 94 as well LOL

I was reading some stuff online that gave me inspiration alright. Saw Freewheelers pics of USA 94 and felt nostalgic for those tiki taka goals of days gone byCry

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 2:43pm
To take a different approach to this, what's the worst?

Duffer's against the Saudi's?
Quinn vs Holland?

I know it was a peno shootout but Cascarino's peno was shocking. Don't know how the keeper didn't save it.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Quinn vs Holland?

I know it was a peno shootout but Cascarino's peno was shocking. Don't know how the keeper didn't save it.

Quinn’s was good. He had a fraction of a second to beat the keeper to the ball and get sufficient purchase on the connection to put it in the net.

I suspect Duff’s wouldn’t have ended up in the net if he was shooting at Buffon.

Sean St Ledger’s goal was an excellently executed set piece.
houghton88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote houghton88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 4:01pm
Aldo's goal against Mexico is the best Goal Ireland have ever scored!!! 

Had everything. Excellent possession, build up play, delivery and finish. 

Close Thread!!
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Aldridge’s goal against Mexico would be mine. Brilliant move, great movement from him and a technically perfect header. 
yeap. I thought the same. Great goal. We should have drawn that game. And the Paul mcgrath goal vs the netherlands should have stood!!!
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Quinn vs Holland?

Quinn’s was good. He had a fraction of a second to beat the keeper to the ball and get sufficient purchase on the connection to put it in the net.

I suspect Duff’s wouldn’t have ended up in the net if he was shooting at Buffon.

Sean St Ledger’s goal was an excellently executed set piece.
Shame many of us (me included) couldn't really celebrate it properly, no thanks to that Clown who blew a whistle as the ball was arriving in the penalty area, I thought it was the referee ordering the free to be re-taken. By the time I realised the goal stood (thanks to the referee doing nothing to stop the players celebrating), it just wasn't the same as the elation we would normally have when we score a goal.

As well as that goal worked out, it must go down as one of the most anti-climatic goals we've ever scored.  Wouldn't be surprised if someone had shoved that whistle so far up yer man's hole that he would have needed hospital surgery to get it removed.  God knows he deserved it!
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Definitely Whelan vs USSR. To quote the great Jim Beglin as lampooned on the Apres Match that covered that game:

"He's shinned it I know, but...f*ck it."

Honourable mention to Hoolahan vs Sweden. Great technique to control it on the half volley with his weaker foot.
So true - probably the only other player on that pitch who could have got a shot like that off perfectly was Zlatan.  If anyone else had tried it, the ball would probably have ended up hitting someone in the upper tier of the stand. LOL

This -

It’s was an outrageous strike.
You could try that 20 times and miss the target every time.

Holland, Wes etc were brilliant strikes but you expect them to at least hit the target. This was something else. 

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Gerry Geary Gerry Geary wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

yeap. I thought the same. Great goal. We should have drawn that game. And the Paul mcgrath goal vs the netherlands should have stood!!!

Correct on both counts 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 5:36pm
Aldridge's header imo is the best.  Nearly all our goals were ugly route 1 jobs.

Euro 88:  A big hoof down the pitch and the ball being headed around in a chaotic mess clearance.
Euro 88:  A big long throw in followed by a great goal but he shinned it.

Italia 1990:  A big hoof from Bonner and McMahon getting caught in possession. Good strike.
Italia 1990:  A big hoof from Bonner followed by a poxy jammy break and Quinn scored.

USA 1994:  A big hoof from Sheridan up to Houghton who scored a mish*t from a poor clearance.
USA 1994:  Good Aldridge goal.

2002:   Cant remember the build up but a good strike from HOLLAND.
2002:  A big hoof from Finnan, a knock down and a Robbie KEANE goal.
2002:  Good KEANE finish against the Arabs
2002:  sh*te goal from DUFF who always had a girly aul shot on him.
2002:  Ugly aul goal from BREEN

2012:  Set piece decent header from ST.LEDGER

2016:  Decent goal from HOOLAHAN
2016:  Decent goal from BRADY

So to sum up. Most of our goals were dinosaur jobs. But the top 3 goals from a  footballing point of view were imo:
1. ALDRIDGE
2. HOOLAHAN
3. BRADY

Compare our goals to say Romania.  Lovely goals in 1994 against ARGENTINA.  Good football.

I look forward to a day THE EIRE play ball.

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 6:53pm
Duffs girly shot LOL
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Duffs girly shot LOL
For a player who played at such a high level for such a long time he had a very poor kick of a football. His shooting had no power at all and his crossing was little better. 
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

So to sum up. Most of our goals were dinosaur jobs. But the top 3 goals from a  footballing point of view were imo:
1. ALDRIDGE
2. HOOLAHAN
3. BRADY

You decided to put none of what you think are the best 3 goals in the poll options? Big smile
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

1. ALDRIDGE
2. HOOLAHAN
3. BRADY

You decided to put none of what you think are the best 3 goals in the poll options? Big smile

LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic