Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The disgraced John Delaney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 493494495496497 539>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Daragho Daragho wrote:

I think one of the reasons why various stakeholders trusted what the FAI were saying was that JD was highly litigious - he quashed or threatened to quash any public dissent. 

For a good while Emmet Malone in the Irish Times was questioning out loud JD's oft-repeated assertion that the association would be debt free by 2020. it didn't take an auditor or accountant to work out that was fanciful in the extreme, with a huge stadium debt and not much revenue coming in to service it.

Emmet Malone and every other soccer writer.
It was blatantly obvious to anyone with a passign interest that there were issues with the accounts. 
Sponsored Links

irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by irelandshirts irelandshirts wrote:

irelandshirts let himself down on liveline today.   Absolute motherhood and apple.pie stuff.   

I was as surprised as anyone to get an email from a liveline researcher and asked would i come on the show to talk about the segment in Champagne Football which refers specifically to Roy Keanes signatures being forged on Irish shirts by a member of the backroom team and also in general about Irish football shirts with reference to my museum project.

I did say to the researcher and Joe even said it at the start that with all the serious revelations in the book that it was an unusual angle to look at but there you go. Its their show.

For what its worth i didnt think it was a big deal about the shirts being signed and its not exactly new news as this story was known in 2002 and has been published in other books and players have spoken about it already.

RE the accounts i said that the book reveals in great details the exact figures and transactions etc that went on. My main point was that for many people looking at the FAI who may not be fans or have no real interest in football at all they would have seen the revenue streams from the Aviva Stadium, tournaments, sponsors, UEFA tv money etc and also the accounts that were being audited by very prestigious firms over the years (joe made sure on air i didnt mention any by name) and thought that the association was on somewhat of a secure financial footing. People including myself wrongly trusted what they were seeing and reading from a national association and reputable accountants etc. The Government also gave large amount of taxpayers money to the FAI during this time i assume also based on the accounts they were seeing.

Liveline should have had Mark Tighe onto talk in forensic detail about the accounts in the book. I bought it Saturday and read it cover to cover in one day and will re read it over the next while again. Im not an accountant and i failed pass maths in the leaving and got a D3 in it when i repeated my leaving cert so im not the person to talk about figures with!!!

Ive been campaigning for an Irish football museum for nearly 18 years now. The not for profit project is dedicated to James Nolan who passed away in Poland in 2012. I was certainly going to use my 20 minutes on primetime national airwaves that i was invited on to discuss to try and appeal for support for this project and i wont apologise to anyone for doing so either.

I think that's a perfectly fair approach. If Joe Duffy wanted to get more forensic then RTE have numbers for a few at YBIG or Mandate including myself. They surely have Zeno's number. They had other options.

I listened back and it sounded like a light enoughsegment which is what I expected. It's liveline, not Prime Time. 

Ireland shirts just wondering why you agreed to go on.  Seems a strange choice to go on the show when you thought the shirt signature thing was a non story and you had to expect they were going to drift off to a more general discussions on other revelations in the book.  It was a very strange slot.  I just thought you came across very lightweight on the show.  Nothing personal as you seem like a really sound guy who has done great work on the book and the museum is a great idea.  Just not sure what your opinion on anything was, other than we should have a shirts museum. 

As I said Baldrick the show contacted me not the other way around. I even said that I thought out of all the stories that emerge in the book that one about some signed shirts was hardly the hardest hitting point in the book.

I expressed that to the researcher also and told them my opinion of that part of the story BEFORE they said they wanted me to go on the show.

Like I said Baldrick I was asked to go on to talk about Roy Keane signed Ireland shirts and my museum project.

Its funny baldrick but if you listened to the piece Joe started by being not too happy about the shirts being signed to actually coming around and agreeing with me that there was no malice involved. Listen to it.

So I changed Joe's mind on liveline. You don't have to shout or rant to get your point across or accepted.

When I was launching the book I was asked to do an interview with Dave Fanning who was standing in on the Ryan Tubridy Show. The book sold out before the interview finished. People listen to the radio.

I was invited on to speak about Ireland football shirts and I used my time to appeal for support for the project on national airwaves.

I didn't know I was going toe to toe with anyone or was in competition with someone? Does anyone think out of the entire book that this was the major incident worthy of a spot on national radio? No it wasnt but that's not for me to decide.

As for my opinion I gave my opinion on the shirt signing incident.

I gave my opinion on the accounts of the FAI.

Most importantly for me and my project I gave my opinion on the importance of an Irish football museum and remembered James Nolan whilst doing so.

For me it was a chance to speak about the museum project and that's what I did.

Edited by irelandshirts - 24 Sep 2020 at 7:40pm
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 7:48pm
Fair enough you went on to promote the museum project and book. Makes sense.  

I agree if you have something to sell radio is a great way to get publicity as Irish people do listen to the radio in huge numbers esp liveline.  

Again I meant no malice by comments, I just thought you were a little naive and too nice on the whole JD thing but if it’s not your bag that’s fair enough.  

AKA pedantic kunt
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 8:00pm

I agree if you have something to sell radio is a great way to get publicity as Irish people do listen to the radio in huge numbers esp liveline.  

Again I meant no malice by comments, I just thought you were a little naive and too nice on the whole JD thing but if it’s not your bag that’s fair enough.  

Like I said Baldrick I was asked on to speak about Irish shirts mainly on what was a brief radio slot.

I took the time to try and promote my museum project as much as I could. Sorry if I let you down buddy.

WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 8:15pm

Like I said Baldrick I was asked on to speak about Irish shirts mainly on what was a brief radio slot.

I took the time to try and promote my museum project as much as I could. Sorry if I let you down buddy.

Ha ha you didnt let me down.  Best of luck with museum and again no malice meant. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 9:06am

irelandshirts let himself down on liveline today.   Absolute motherhood and apple.pie stuff.   

I was as surprised as anyone to get an email from a liveline researcher and asked would i come on the show to talk about the segment in Champagne Football which refers specifically to Roy Keanes signatures being forged on Irish shirts by a member of the backroom team and also in general about Irish football shirts with reference to my museum project.

I did say to the researcher and Joe even said it at the start that with all the serious revelations in the book that it was an unusual angle to look at but there you go. Its their show.

For what its worth i didnt think it was a big deal about the shirts being signed and its not exactly new news as this story was known in 2002 and has been published in other books and players have spoken about it already.

RE the accounts i said that the book reveals in great details the exact figures and transactions etc that went on. My main point was that for many people looking at the FAI who may not be fans or have no real interest in football at all they would have seen the revenue streams from the Aviva Stadium, tournaments, sponsors, UEFA tv money etc and also the accounts that were being audited by very prestigious firms over the years (joe made sure on air i didnt mention any by name) and thought that the association was on somewhat of a secure financial footing. People including myself wrongly trusted what they were seeing and reading from a national association and reputable accountants etc. The Government also gave large amount of taxpayers money to the FAI during this time i assume also based on the accounts they were seeing.

Liveline should have had Mark Tighe onto talk in forensic detail about the accounts in the book. I bought it Saturday and read it cover to cover in one day and will re read it over the next while again. Im not an accountant and i failed pass maths in the leaving and got a D3 in it when i repeated my leaving cert so im not the person to talk about figures with!!!

Ive been campaigning for an Irish football museum for nearly 18 years now. The not for profit project is dedicated to James Nolan who passed away in Poland in 2012. I was certainly going to use my 20 minutes on primetime national airwaves that i was invited on to discuss to try and appeal for support for this project and i wont apologise to anyone for doing so either.

I think that's a perfectly fair approach. If Joe Duffy wanted to get more forensic then RTE have numbers for a few at YBIG or Mandate including myself. They surely have Zeno's number. They had other options.

I listened back and it sounded like a light enoughsegment which is what I expected. It's liveline, not Prime Time. 

I did get a call. Told them I didn’t have a view on it. Very tedious, pick your battles etc. Must have been an exceptionally slow news day when they picked that out. 

The pressing matter at present is why facilitators remain in the FAI particularly the Bold McGlue 
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

I did get a call. Told them I didn’t have a view on it. Very tedious, pick your battles etc. Must have been an exceptionally slow news day when they picked that out. 

The pressing matter at present is why facilitators remain in the FAI particularly the Bold McGlue 

Thought they might have asked for Geno and you told them they'd a wrong number. Wink
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 10:07am
I’ve been called worse Tongue
ontheball View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ontheball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 1:33pm

Yes, you certainly have been called a lot worse in certain quarters. LOL
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 2:17pm

True. At least it wasn't prefaced by 'known troublemaker'. Ouch

Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 2:36pm
Dexy's never wrote a song about zeno.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Dexy's never wrote a song about zeno.

Still time Big smile
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 8:45am
CRISC expenses ?  Surely not 
AKA pedantic kunt
royal rover View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royal rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 1:14pm
what do you mean about CRISC expenses being throw about?
royal rover
wicklowrunner View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wicklowrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 1:31pm
*allegations
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by wicklowrunner wicklowrunner wrote:

*allegations

Well said WW , it's put up or shut up time .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 2:15pm
Any new members of the London club in the last six months going by the name of John and from Waterford???!!!!
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Any new members of the London club in the last six months going by the name of John and from Waterford???!!!!

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 493494495496497 539>
  Share Topic