You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Decline of the EPL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 54>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

And Liverpool are 13/2 to be eliminated at the group stage with Skybet, so I don't know where you got the 1/10 from. I can't see anyone else offering the market on oddschecker.

You realize betting isn't simply twisting the figure around for one option and another?

I.E. Liverpool to qualify 1/10 - Liverpool not to qualify 10/1 

Of course. They take a margin on both. I'm not an idiot.

Look, Liverpool could easily need a result on the last day. That's not easy qualification or boring.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 27 Sep 2017 at 11:04pm
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 11:07pm
"Liverpool are not guaranteed to make it by any stretch"

You seem to think their task is a hell of a lot harder than it is.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 11:08pm

The point is Liverpool may need some manner of result in the last game. That doesn't quite tally with Baggio's initial post. No matter the opponent, that always has the potential to be nervy, rather than easy or boring.

There's a good chance of at least two of the English sides needing a result on the last day.

All 4 English sides will qualify, you can bookmark this Big smile

I suggest you get your abacus out.

United.
City.
Liverpool.
Chelsea.
Spurs.

I'm not saying they won't either. I'm just saying it's a bit much to say it's all easy or boring.

And even if Liverpool get six against Maribor and Sevilla get six against Spartak, it's hardly a stretch to see Liverpool losing away to Sevilla and Spartak beating Maribor at home, meaning Liverpool absolutely need a draw in the last game.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 11:11pm

"Liverpool are not guaranteed to make it by any stretch"

You seem to think their task is a hell of a lot harder than it is.

No I don't. The odds on them not making of 13/2 seem about right.

The fact is, if they need a point on the last day to make it, which well they might, you probably cannot characterise it as "easy" and certainly not "boring".

They'll most likely make it but guaranteed? Nope. Sorry.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 11:15pm
Wow apologies for making a mistake............

Sevilla and Liverpool could very well end up playing for a draw, not to mention you seem to think Liverpool aren't capable of beating Sevilla away which imo they are. 

They will get the job done and qualify regardless.

Edited by Green Devil - 27 Sep 2017 at 11:16pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 11:19pm
Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs's groups are far from settled though I still expect Liverpool and Chelsea to top theirs.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 11:21pm
I don't think they aren't capable of beating Sevilla away. Don't twist my words. I never said that. I said it's not a stretch to see Liverpool losing to Sevilla. That is very, very different.

I also think Liverpool will indeed qualify; I haven't said that I think they won't. I just don't think it's *guaranteed*, or that it'll *necessarily* be easy or boring, particularly if they need a point on the last day, which well they might. If Liverpool and Sevilla get six points from the next two games, Sevilla will want a win to top the group.

It is unlikely to be a procession. You can't disagree with that. Liverpool might even be qualified after five games, but I'd probably give odds against on that right now. Do you disagree with that?

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Just checked
They're 1/10 to qualify and 6/1 not to with bet365

Indeed they are. My bad. Couldn't find the prices on betfair or, strangely, Coral.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs's groups are far from settled though I still expect Liverpool and Chelsea to top theirs.

I think Spurs have a swagger about them now, they seem settled in the CL (last season was a disaster and a big learning curve) and when you have players like Lloris, Kane, Vertongen, Toby, Demebele etc I really doubt Dortmund away will faze them.

Dortmund aren't the team they were 3 to 4 years ago as we all know.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 11:25pm

I don't think they aren't capable of beating Sevilla away. Don't twist my words. I never said that. I said it's not a stretch to see Liverpool losing to Sevilla. That is very, very different.

I also think Liverpool will indeed qualify; I haven't said that I think they won't. I just don't think it's *guaranteed*, or that it'll *necessarily* be easy or boring, particularly if they need a point on the last day, which well they might. If Liverpool and Sevilla get six points from the next two games, Sevilla will want a win to top the group.

It is unlikely to be a procession. You can't disagree with that. Liverpool might even be qualified after five games, but I'd probably give odds against on that right now. Do you disagree with that?

Just checked
They're 1/10 to qualify and 6/1 not to with bet365

Indeed they are. My bad. Couldn't find the prices on betfair or, strangely, Coral.

They do have Maribor away though, so they may not go gung-ho against Liverpool either knowing that if they better Liverpool's result in the last game they'll top the group.

TBH we've both made our points, no point in dragging it out. 

For me personally Liverpool will win 3 from the last 4 games and avoid defeat in Spain. 

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 11:48pm

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I think Spurs have a swagger about them now, they seem settled in the CL (last season was a disaster and a big learning curve) and when you have players like Lloris, Kane, Vertongen, Toby, Demebele etc I really doubt Dortmund away will faze them.

Dortmund aren't the team they were 3 to 4 years ago as we all know.

Dortmund aren't the team they were but in fairness they've had bad refereeing decisions against them in both the Spurs game and Madrid one which could have seen them get some points out of those games.   I would expect them to close the gap to at least one point on Spurs after their respective double headers. Spurs will be in for a very tough match in Dortmund so a draw there would be vital. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 6:48am
I expect Dortmund to get 6 points against Apoel in their next 2 games.
So Spurs really need to get something against Real Madrid to keep their lead.

Have tickets to the home match so looking forward to it. The whole point of top 4 is to play games like this.

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 28 Sep 2017 at 6:48am

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 7:54am
United, Liverpool, City and Chelsea will qualify! Spurs to miss out.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 9:56am
All 5 teams top of their groups and will all make the last 16

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 11:38am

All 5 teams top of their groups and will all make the last 16

Can they meet in the 2nd round or is that only in the 1/4 final stage?

I think we could see a team in the 1/2 final stage.

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 5:34am
Spurs and Man city.
Clap
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 10:23pm

EPL clubs created history tonight with all five clubs successfully qualifying for the knockout stages of the CL .

No country has ever had five teams in the last-16 stage of the Champions League before. 

Clap
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

<P itemprop="deion">EPL clubs created history tonight with all five clubs successfully qualifying for the knockout stages of the CL .

No country has ever had five teams in the last-16 stage of the Champions League before. 

Clap

Wouldnt get too excited just yet.
They had 3 out of 4 teams in the semis during their dominant period and still lost.

Although I do think City have s fantastic chance this year if the draw is kind to them.

Cant see any of the other 4 winning it.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 1:43am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

EPL clubs created history tonight with all five clubs successfully qualifying for the knockout stages of the CL .

Clap
You'd still have to expect the winner to come from one of the Big Five - Barca, Real, PSG, Bayern and Juve, with only Man City likely to make it the Big Six.

But that said, the EPL is showing great strength in depth beyond their top one or two teams eg topping half the eight Groups.

And if you compare their aggregate record against the other big leagues, it stands out, too:

ENG - PL.30  W.21  D.6  L.3  Pts.69/90 = 76.7%
ESP -  PL.24  W.11  D.10 L.3 Pts.43/72 = 59.7%
ITY  -  PL.18  W.8   D.4   L.6  Pts.28/54 = 51.9%
GER - PL.18   W.7   D.3  L.8  Pts.24/54 = 44.4% 

They've pissed an awful lot of money up the wall in recent years, but it may finally be beginning to pay off now.

And in my opinion, the key is not players, academies, facilities, stadia etc, but coaches - all five coaches of the English teams in the CL are foreign, with only one of them (Mourinho) having long experience in the country, and Pochettino a reasonable turn. 

Edited by Territorial - 07 Dec 2017 at 1:46am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 54>
  Share Topic