Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Curious Case of David O'Leary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 11:00pm
In fairness you dont become Arsenal's all time record appearance holder by not being liked in the game. Particularly at a club like Arsenal where there was, perhaps, the biggest of drink/lad cultures. 

But it wasn't just Tony C. Didn't Aldo say in his book that one of them took a sh*te under his bed and it sat there brewing for days? And it wasn't done for the craic.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 11:05pm
Probably Aldo
Looks the sort 
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 11:09pm
Its not that O'Leary does not want management, management does not want him. He also thought that Mick McCarthy was a donkey compared to his own inflated sense of his own abilities. The fact that he let Dunphy do his bidding made him unpopular in the Ireland squad, which Cascarino alluded to. 

Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Presume he was just fed up with management and walked away. Defof thought at one stage he'd have been Irelamd manager one day. I wonder he he ever actually throw his name into the ring at any time

I remember an interview way back when he was asked & he deemed it a later in his career job, a winding down number. At that stage he obviously thought he had a managerial career stretching out ahead of him. He didn't. 
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 11:47pm
He never seemed the sharpest knife in the drawer. I saw him a few times as a TV panelist and thought he was poor enough, not the most articulate or insightful of people.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 11:54pm
Anyone speaking I'll of Dave O' Leary on an Irish football forum after that penalty can f**k right off Thumbs Up
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 12:00am
Jack didn't fancy him from the 1st game against Wales.  It wasn't personal.  He just felt Dave fannied around at the back and he didn't want defenders to pretend to be players.

Left him out of the Icelandic Triangular squad along with a few other mind but he wouldn't cancel his holiday plans when he was belatedly called up and only then did it become a personal issue.

Think he was called up for Spain away in 1988 when a load of players were injured and he got back in that way.

There's a Kenny Live of them together from 1993 on Youtube where Dave says they get on well blah blah blah.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Bukowski View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 2:52am
I remember O'Leary's Leeds were high tempo and effective, unfashionable and didn't bother with a #10 playmaker of any sort. Tough and direct. Some very good players. Kewell.
He wasn't a fan of Robbie Keane, he preferred Viduka and Alan Smith.

So many years since I watched them play it's all hazy.
Would like to hear from someone who can compare them to today's teams.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Might be way off but always got the impression he wasn't much liked in the football world, it's a relatively small world
Cascarino more or less said that in his book, can't remember the exact words but along the lines that his regard for himself as a player was not the reality and his arrogance made him unpopular.

Wouldn’t believe one word that comes out of Cascarinos mouth.  I know which one is a decent man who hasn’t cheated on his wife etc etc.  

Ah now Eamon you can't say that 
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 10:54am
He did a good job at Leeds but it soured towards the end. He sued the club after he left.

At Villa, he was very publicly critical of Doug Ellis (his boss) until he had enough and fired him just before selling the club. Don’t think any Villa fans were sad to see him go and MON came in and did a better job.

Don’t know what happen at UAE but he ended up suing them after leaving too.

If you’re a chairman of a club looking at that track record, you’d probably look elsewhere. 
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

I remember O'Leary's Leeds were high tempo and effective, unfashionable and didn't bother with a #10 playmaker of any sort. Tough and direct. Some very good players. Kewell.

That Leeds team were great to watch. They had real quality all over the pitch- high temporary and combative midfielders with a sprinkling of real class, Kewell and Viduka stand out. Dacourt and Batty in the central midfield- Erik Bakke was there too and Lee Bowyer. Ian Harte and Rio Ferdinand part of the back line. O'Leary was a good manager but he spent bucketloads and always seemed to me to be more of a manager who could buy a good team rather than build one.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 11:05am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Might be way off but always got the impression he wasn't much liked in the football world, it's a relatively small world
Cascarino more or less said that in his book, can't remember the exact words but along the lines that his regard for himself as a player was not the reality and his arrogance made him unpopular.

Wouldn’t believe one word that comes out of Cascarinos mouth.  I know which one is a decent man who hasn’t cheated on his wife etc etc.  

LOL
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 11:18am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

LOLLOL
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

That Leeds team were great to watch. They had real quality all over the pitch- high temporary and combative midfielders with a sprinkling of real class, Kewell and Viduka stand out. Dacourt and Batty in the central midfield- Erik Bakke was there too and Lee Bowyer. Ian Harte and Rio Ferdinand part of the back line. O'Leary was a good manager but he spent bucketloads and always seemed to me to be more of a manager who could buy a good team rather than build one.

Always thought Bowyer was a bit of an unsung hero in that team. Chipped in with a lot of goals from midfield. Kewell was probably the star man. 

With regards the spending, think it got ridiculous at the end. They signed Seth Johnson from Derby when O'Leary wasnt really bothered about signing him and offered him like double the wages he was expecting.
Murph View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 12:36pm
never liked O'Leary after I seen an article in a soccer mag when I was young,the question was who would he most like to meet,his answer was the pope  and OUR queen aswell as being a  tory supporter,did he not get death threats over  that 

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 1:48pm
He didn't say 'Our Queen' did he?! LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Murph View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 2:00pm
Yes his exact words in the article were our queen

Bukowski View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2024 at 2:13pm
[[/QUOTE]

Always thought Bowyer was a bit of an unsung hero in that team. Chipped in with a lot of goals from midfield. Kewell was probably the star man. 

With regards the spending, think it got ridiculous at the end. They signed Seth Johnson from Derby when O'Leary wasnt really bothered about signing him and offered him like double the wages he was expecting.
[/QUOTE]

Seth Johnson, you're absolutely right. I forgot about him. I felt sorry for him at the time, never lived up to the price tag.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic