You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The correct amount of abuse?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The correct amount of abuse?
    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 11:38am

Recent fan behavior is a topical subject at the moment. We had Rangers supporting singing anti Irish songs and Bohs fans singing about Mandrious girlfriend in the last week and there was a lot of comment on it. 

I personally enjoy loud hostile grounds either as a home or away fan. I see some lines that shouldn't be crossed. Chants about the likes of Hillsborough or Munich are pretty grim and I don't understand why anyone would sing about such a topic.

In all honesty, most of the anti Catholic/ Irish stuff such as the Billy Boys or The Famine song doesnt bother me but I'm coming from the position of a Dublin fella who hasnt really encountered discrimination at all. I could sit in the away end in Ibrox and that wouldn't rile me in any way. Maybe someone from Glasgow or Derry might disagree though. Anything relating to the Troubles would be  absolutely crossing the line however.  

I heard Ian Wright defending Roy Keane after someone in the crowd called him an "Irish C**t". Again, I wouldnt give a sh1t about that. You could call me that all day and I wouldn't flinch. I wouldnt even disagree Smile
However, the abuse that Wright himself has had to endure was horrific and unacceptable. 
I suppose that's because I don't really view Irish people as being socially oppressed in the modern era. Perhaps I'm misguided here and you might view it differently. 
I personally wouldnt lump all racist incidents in together. Monkey chants and use of the N word are despicable but maybe calling Bendnter a Danish prick is bad but is it off limits in your view?

Is all personal abuse off limits now for you? That means no more calling the linesman a fat fook. Or the big nosed right full a beaky bollox. There was a lot of people in Lansdowne singing about Eriksens wife when we played Denmark. Was that out of order? 

Anyway, I think most people would agree that there is a line of abuse that shouldn't be crossed. The question is, where is the line for you?
El Puto Amo
Sponsored Links

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 12:13pm
There has to be a certain amount of abuse/vitriol especially in the likes of derby games, the game needs it, we’re not there to be friends with each other, like last Sunday but the sl*gging Mandroius missus got crossed the line, by all means abuse Turkey teeth or any other player but his missus has nothing to do with it. 

That said I did enjoy Rovers fans moral crusade rather than talk about their own poor showing again. 

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 12:56pm
Agree that the abuse about Mandriou's missus was out of order. By all means, direct abuse at the individual but it shouldn't involve anyone else.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 1:12pm
f**k off 
AKA pedantic kunt
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 1:15pm
do we need to shout any abuse at a player? personally if im watching a game i might rant and rave to the people im with but not roaring and shouting at a player. is there anything worse than watching a match on tv when the camera zooms in on a player taking a corner or missing a chance than seeing some fat t**ser shouting or cursing in his face? They look pathetic. 
I love beer gardens
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 1:56pm
Sure most of the players love winding up opposition fans, from a Bohs perspective Burke & Finn have been at it for years, Gaffney on Sunday in front of the Jodi it’s all part of it for 90mins. But anything outside that or other than the players isn’t on IMO. 

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

do we need to shout any abuse at a player? personally if im watching a game i might rant and rave to the people im with but not roaring and shouting at a player. is there anything worse than watching a match on tv when the camera zooms in on a player taking a corner or missing a chance than seeing some fat t**ser shouting or cursing in his face? They look pathetic. 

Thats a bit too sanitized for my liking. I don't know if you were at the home game against Israel under Kerr when Dudu was acting the bollox? Would you honestly not give him a bit of stick in that instance?

El Puto Amo
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 2:24pm
I bet anything the same people trivialising centuries old, institutionalised anti-Irish racism are the same people who were frothing at the mouth when fellow Irish fans were abusing say Shota Arveladze or Peter Lovenkrands because of what club they played for when Georgia and Denmark rolled into town.

Funny how that works.

Also the same people who when Australian politicians and morning show hosts casually make discriminatory remarks about Irish people, or when Australian businesses make "No Irish Need Apply" signs, generalise and say "Ah well it's our own fault for acting the maggot out there".

Can you imagine that logic being used if you substitute an Irish person with a black person?

The New York Times literally had a headline calling those college students who died after falling off a shoddily constructed balcony in Berkeley "drunks".

Which goes to show how entrenched these kind of views are.

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I bet anything the same people trivialising centuries old, institutionalised anti-Irish racism are the same people who were frothing at the mouth when fellow Irish fans were abusing say Shota Arveladze or Peter Lovenkrands because of what club they played for when Georgia and Denmark rolled into town.

Funny how that works.

Also the same people who when Australian politicians and morning show hosts casually make discriminatory remarks about Irish people, or when Australian businesses make "No Irish Need Apply" signs, generalise and say "Ah well it's our own fault for acting the maggot out there".

Can you imagine that logic being used if you substitute an Irish person with a black person?

The New York Times literally had a headline calling those college students who died after falling off a shoddily constructed balcony in Berkeley "drunks".

I defo wasnt frothing at the mouth when the Rangers lads were getting stick. I did laugh as the crowd were initially booing the wrong Danish player. Part of the craic is when a player becomes the pantomime villain, and some of them embrace it. 

El Puto Amo
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Thats a bit too sanitized for my liking. I don't know if you were at the home game against Israel under Kerr when Dudu was acting the bollox? Would you honestly not give him a bit of stick in that instance?

no but i remember that game and i was shouting at the tv LOLLOL i prob just not the type to shout and roar at a player. shouting get up or something like that i wouldn't see an issue but insulting a player or cursing at him i would see as a bit needless. i'm no holy joe either!!
I love beer gardens
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Funny how that works.

The hottest of hot takes 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 3:26pm
Ye f**kin Geebag, Poxbottle or Whoresboot are all acceptable 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic