You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Boom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 3:02pm
"The biggest killer is the price of renting is so expensive then it makes sense to buy a house in many people's situations."

On top of the expense you have the fact that tenant rights in Ireland and Britain are years behind other western countries, particularly Germany. While being a professional landlord seems to come with no moral obligations here or at home, in Germany it is bound by their constitution. The Federal Law of the German Republic includes the line; " property comes bound with duty. It must be used to serve the public good."
I doubt that is the mantra of Foxton's or Daft.ie.

Edited by pre Madonna - 20 Jun 2017 at 3:40pm
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

anyway back on topic. 

I haven't seen people behaving like they did in the boom. 

Are people buying cars on that pcp thing where if you miss a payment or some other thing like that you get hit with huge penalties? If it's the same thing I've heard about then that's where a crash is likely. 
Don't think you understand PCP. I bought a car by PCP - the penalties are the same as a bank loan. PCP worked out a lot cheaper over the term of the car, with an option to upgrade at year 3 if I need to. Totally understand if some people don't want a new car, but if you do, then PCP makes a lot of sense for people upgrading from banger to new car.

Toast the sodabread, spread mashed avocado on top, then some fried bacon or chorizo on top Heart
cullenswood View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cullenswood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

you have the fact that tenant rights in Ireland are years behind other western countries

I think you'll find that is changing.   A lot of landlords getting out of the business at this stage
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by cullenswood cullenswood wrote:

<span>you have the fact that tenant rights in Ireland are years behind other western countries</span>

I think you'll find that is changing.   A lot of landlords getting out of the business at this stage

Good, it shouldn't be a business anyway. There is still years to go before there is any kind of proper regulations.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

anyway back on topic. 

Are people buying cars on that pcp thing where if you miss a payment or some other thing like that you get hit with huge penalties? If it's the same thing I've heard about then that's where a crash is likely. 
Don't think you understand PCP. I bought a car by PCP - the penalties are the same as a bank loan. PCP worked out a lot cheaper over the term of the car, with an option to upgrade at year 3 if I need to. Totally understand if some people don't want a new car, but if you do, then PCP makes a lot of sense for people upgrading from banger to new car.

Toast the sodabread, spread mashed avocado on top, then some fried bacon or chorizo on top Heart
a drizzle of freshly squeezed lime juice and c'est magnifique
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 4:39pm
Carefully break an egg into the hollow and bang it in the oven! Crab salad in the hollow is a decent lunch too!
Still doesn't mean it has to cost ten quid when 'smashed' on bread. Keep it off burgers too, no place for it.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 4:40pm
The guy James Davidson, the economist who predicted the collaspe of 1999 and 2007 reckons there will be another one very soon. He talks about it extensively on youtube.
The US stock markets are on the 2nd longest bull run ever. 
He focuses on America but what happens in America has an impact on the rest of the world.

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 5:24pm
Ah no. The boom is getting boomier, if anything.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

The guy James Davidson, the economist who predicted the collaspe of 1999 and 2007 reckons there will be another one very soon. He talks about it extensively on youtube.
The US stock markets are on the 2nd longest bull run ever. 
He focuses on America but what happens in America has an impact on the rest of the world.

Just had a listen to him on YouTube. Makes some interesting points.

David McWilliams has been concerned for awhile with the way things are going. Reckons a Eurozone crisis is around the corner and Ireland would obviously be extremely vulnerable when it hits.

Edited by colemanY2K - 20 Jun 2017 at 5:36pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 8:53pm

<span>you have the fact that tenant rights in Ireland are years behind other western countries</span>

Good, it shouldn't be a business anyway. There is still years to go before there is any kind of proper regulations.

It is a business in every country even Germany. As a tenant you may have more rights but here you have to furnish your flat.. deffo kitchen and sometimes even bathroom.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

It is a business in every country even Germany. As a tenant you may have more rights but here you have to furnish your flat.. deffo kitchen and sometimes even bathroom.
I never said Germany was better, merely an improvement! I wouldn't be holding it up as the standard bearer for too much either! The laws on the continent are, by and large, far more humane than in Britain or Ireland.
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 10:38pm
I have a place over the south side rented to 3 Spanish lads . They told me they were missing a few bits . I told them to grab whatever they needed and we can sort it out . These lads went to war , fryin pans that I wouldn't even have in my own place ! Bins for their bathrooms , quilt covers etc . They expected it to be there and I had to set them straight that "this is Ireland" . But anytime they had a problem they would ring & I'll give you an example ... Hi John it's Juan here , im having a problem with my toilet and it will not stay in man mode ! Ah ok I says as I couldn't understand the f**ker so I went over to resolve the problem or try figure out what man mode was .... the poxy toilet seat wouldn't stay up on it's on .

So yea they expect everything and more in Europe
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 10:58pm
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 11:24pm
Man mode
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 9:44am
Did that actually happen? 'kin hell. LOL
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 11:15am
What's the catch with PCP car finance?
You look after the car and renew it after 4 or 5 years.
I presume you have to pay another lump sum, or can you just keep paying the same €250 or €300 a month?
If you want to own it outright you have to pay a lump sum?
So unless you want to pay a lump sum at the end you'll always end up "hiring" your car?
What if you haven't looked after the car and the value isn't what you signed for at the start of the initial term?

Elon Musk said by 2025 most cars will be electric/hydrogen whatever and by 2030 you'll have to pay someone to take away your petrol/diesel car.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 11:44am
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

What's the catch with PCP car finance?
You look after the car and renew it after 4 or 5 years.
I presume you have to pay another lump sum, or can you just keep paying the same €250 or €300 a month?
If you want to own it outright you have to pay a lump sum?
So unless you want to pay a lump sum at the end you'll always end up "hiring" your car?
What if you haven't looked after the car and the value isn't what you signed for at the start of the initial term?

Elon Musk said by 2025 most cars will be electric/hydrogen whatever and by 2030 you'll have to pay someone to take away your petrol/diesel car.

This sums it up really good.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-finance/personal-contract-purchase

At the end of the day you are "hiring" a new car for a set period - normally 3 years.
Most cars lose 50% of their value after 3 years but if you like driving a new car thats your call.

But if you want value for money you are better off buying a car that is 3 years old.
Lets say for example the car is £30K and you hire it for 3 years and it loses 50% of its value after 3 years and financing costs are zero.

Option A- Hire for 3 years and pay £15K over 36 monthly installments. You give the car back or can buy it for £15K
Option B - Buy a 3 year old car for £15K and pay off your loan over how many years. You own the car until it dies. 

Topper was a big fan of this and swore he was actually saving money this way....LOL

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 21 Jun 2017 at 11:44am

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

anyway back on topic. 

Yeah I could easily be mistaking it with some other hire purchase agreement - there's also supposed to be one in America that was done similar to the Fanny Mae mortgage mess, which is meant to crash soon enough. 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic