You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 8th - Repealed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 404142
Poll Question: Will you vote to Repeal the 8th amendment?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
74 [64.35%]
41 [35.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by randyrandolph randyrandolph wrote:

i wonder would we see #hometovote out in force again in a UI referendum.

I think the entire apparatus of a UI referendum would be truly interesting. But I think there remains a lot of work before it could be held, and to be honest, I don’t see it as a natural extension of the equal marriage or repeal votes.

UCDfan will be interested to know that I have seen a small internet campaign seeking to repeal the 27th amendment, but that certainly won’t carry the same interest or activity as the 2015 and 2018 votes, and I suspect there is little political will for it.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by randyrandolph randyrandolph wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

One of the interesting upshots of this referendum is the "what's next" mantra that I'm beginning to hear. I'm trying to figure out what would actually promote the same level of civic activity and interest, in the same nature of equal marriage and repeal the 8th.
Getting the Brits out!
i wonder would we see #hometovote out in force again in a UI referendum.
Who would need to vote in that? Just NI citizens? Or would we have to vote on whether to accept them or not
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Ex pat me hole. There's very few expats... immigrants living in other countries is what most of us are. 

Whatever Postman Pat 

It's pure bolloxology used by those who don't want to be lumped into the same bracket as other misfortunates from places like Romania and Poland. 

The Brits came up with the term for their immigrants living abroad in places like Spain and we're adopting it for the same  snobby reasons.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 3:18pm
Agreed. It is intertwining class and ethnicity to make out some people are better than others. It is pretty disgusting language to use.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 3:47pm
Coleman, I'm not entirely sure I agree. I thought the term became popular by those who were sent by their companies to foreign shores to carry out their trade? Or those who independently left having procured employment on their departure.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 4:27pm
I see that Ruth Coppinger is already talking about amendments to the proposals in terms of legislation on the back of Friday’s vote. I felt there would be TDs who might support the repeal, but would want the legislation on their terms, and that this might be a stumbling block on the way to legislating.

Edited by Het-field - 29 May 2018 at 4:27pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Coleman, I'm not entirely sure I agree. I thought the term became popular by those who were sent by their companies to foreign shores to carry out their trade? Or those who independently left having procured employment on their departure.
That is most likely the case and, ignoring the possible rights and wrongs of that, it is now being used as a way of grading people. There is no escaping that.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 1:18pm
Yeah, it's simple. The white doctors and teachers getting paid €100k plus a year in Dubai, tax free, swanning around in a 100% air conditioned existence, are "ex pats"; the subcontinental folks outside in the 45 degree heat building the city around them and dying of treatable illnesses, sleeping 20 to a room in a prefab, basically held as bonded labourers for €20 a week, those lads are the good for nothing greedy "immigrants" or "economic migrants".
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 1:35pm
In fairness Dave, I think most people would classify that as slavery.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 404142
  Share Topic