Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Direct Link To This Post Topic: That's it Robbie
    Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 7:40am
Captain Robbie Keane admits this is Ireland’s best chance at winning Group

Date: Wednesday, 11 February 2009
Section: International

Republic of Ireland Captain Robbie Keane believes the team can go on and top their 2010 World Cup qualification Group 8.

The Spurs striker made the positive declaration on the eve of tonight’s qualifier against Georgia at Croke Park, where a win would push Ireland level with leaders Italy on ten points. The winner of the group proceeds directly to the finals while the runner-up will be vying for a play-off route to the showpiece.

Keane is one of the few remaining members of the squad which reached the 2002 World Cup and is optimistic about the prospects of leading the team to another major championship.

"This is our best chance now since I have been involved in the Irish team," said the 28-year old.

"Obviously, we qualified for the World Cup in 2002 through a play-off. But this is our best chance to qualify straight.

"I believe with the players and the squad we have, there's no reason why we can't do that.

"Of course it's not going to be easy. But we have set ourselves good targets. We have played well in recent games and we need to continue that now against Georgia.

"Don't get me wrong; Italy are a great team with a great manager and great players. But I don't see any reason why we can't do it and it is up to us players to do that and prove that.

“I believe this is the best chance we have had for a long time."

Keane, who last week rejoined Spurs following a brief spell at Liverpool, is delighted to see his team-mate Damien Duff (pictured left) hit form at club level recently and can see the winger lighting up Croke Park this evening.

“It’s great to have Duffer back to his best because he had a few injuries at Newcastle. He’s been a top class player over the years and is certainly a massive figure for Irish team. The way he goes past players… I think he can give the crowd a lift.”

Now lets go and nail Georgia!
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 7:48am
I can't wait!
gouldinho View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 7:50am
I never take what Bob Keane has to say seriously so even if he says something i want to hear it would be hypocritical of me to take him seriously.
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 8:11am
good man, keano,,echoes of the other keano in that...winning mentallity, he is right there is no reason why we cant win this group...
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 8:13am
I seen Sven said of Mexcio "We will qualify for the world cup and then we'll do our best to win it when there." That should be our mentality!
Donal Cullen View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 8:28am
We will qualify for the World Cup and we will win it when we are over there.
STATEMENT OF FACT.
There are friendlier places to drink.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic