You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Thatcher destroyed football" Allardyce

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sloop John G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Thatcher destroyed football" Allardyce
    Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 12:51pm
West Ham boss Sam Allardyce believes former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher killed football in England and is to blame for the lack of good young English players in the game.

The former Newcastle United and Bolton Wanderers manager has blamed cut-backs for a lack of homegrown talent coming through and a lack of opportunities for youngsters.

"[Margaret] Thatcher killed football, no doubt about it," he said according to The Sun.

"Since Margaret Thatcher stopped teachers being paid extra money for coaching sports after school, all sporting activities have diminished on a competitive basis.

"This was a working class game but it's only at private schools where the children get the sports opportunities I had - and even then a lot of them don't play football, it's mainly rugby.

"Despite putting in place all sorts of advanced academy systems at clubs we are only producing half the players the school system used to.

"Our [West Ham's] youth trainer, Tony Carr, is fighting to find the next [Rio] Ferdinands and [Frank] Lampards with one hand tied behind his back."

Goal.com

Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 1:04pm
Think sam himself ruined football by playing hoof ball
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
R-Martinez View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R-Martinez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 1:16pm
I find it comical, now that Englands golden generation is finished a lot of big names have started to blame grass roots football. Guys like Henry Winter will talk until the cows come home about the different numbers a side at the different ages in England and Spain. bottom line is England had a team capeable of reaching a final in a major competition but there downfall was players disliked playing for England because of the media attention that came with it.
"Lennox says he's a conqueror? No. I'm Alexander, he's no Alexander" Mike Tyson
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 5:49am
He does have a point. Had a really bad effect on Scottish football too.
packiesglove View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 6:09am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

allardyce has produced teams to get results. i really get fed up with opinions like this TJ, managers like sam, wilkinson and graham taylor get slaughtered because they are not media-lovies like some. They are knowledgeable and intelligent students of the game, that have had success at many clubs, but many fans just hear and read what they want about them and take that as their opinion. Look at these managers and the skilful players they have signed..............THERE IS FAR MORE TO THESE MEN THAN "HOOF BALL" Angry
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
Sloop John G View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sloop John G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 6:16am
You cannot argue with what Sam Allardyce accomplished at Bolton. His modest Bolton team overachieved year after year. Who can forget the myriad times they foiled Arsenal?

Blackburn sacking him was a nonsensical decision.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 6:21am
Originally posted by packiesglove packiesglove wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

allardyce has produced teams to get results. i really get fed up with opinions like this TJ, managers like sam, wilkinson and graham taylor get slaughtered because they are not media-lovies like some. They are knowledgeable and intelligent students of the game, that have had success at many clubs, but many fans just hear and read what they want about them and take that as their opinion. Look at these managers and the skilful players they have signed..............THERE IS FAR MORE TO THESE MEN THAN "HOOF BALL" Angry

Allardyce is a media manConfused. What great results has he got? Bolton finishing what 6th or 7th once or twice? OK not too bad. He was reported to have done a great job at blackburn but he didnt. Hughes had them finishing in the european places while allardyce reckoned he was doing a good job if he managed to avoid relegation.   Confused   Basically he plays hoof ball which he glosses over with his bullsh*t about pro zone and dieticians and all that sh*te to make it sound sophisticated.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 6:53am

Allardyce is a media manConfused. What great results has he got? Bolton finishing what 6th or 7th once or twice? OK not too bad. He was reported to have done a great job at blackburn but he didnt. Hughes had them finishing in the european places while allardyce reckoned he was doing a good job if he managed to avoid relegation.   Confused   Basically he plays hoof ball which he glosses over with his bullsh*t about pro zone and dieticians and all that sh*te to make it sound sophisticated.
[/QUOTE]

London based newspaper media have no time for anyone north of M25. The list of people they slaughter include the late Sir Bobby Robson. Sam certainly is not a favourite of theirs. 

Djorkaeff, Okocha, Speed, Salgado, Anelka, Campo ? (all purveyors of long ball game) ??

So much snobbery surrounding this issue, would you cosider Owen Coyle a fan ?

'When I first came here as a player, there were two bowling greens outside and a couple of pitches. We changed in a room that was half the size of the media room. So when I came back having remembered it from when I left in 1995, it was just incredible. This is a legacy. 

'The job Sam did was incredible. He's a real football man and has been great for me. He's phoned me a few times with little bits of advice.

'Sam really took it on and established Bolton as a Premier League club. The football club have a lot to thank him for.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1252577/We-owe-Sam-Allardyce-big-time-says-Bolton-boss-Owen-Coyle.html#ixzz1RhdA0vZq
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 7:37am
You seem to take this very personally. I dont like his style of play. Trust me i have no interest in reading tabloid hacks or their opinions on him even if they dont like him. He may have done x y and z to improve the club but he plays sh*te football even with good players.

Wearmouth View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wearmouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 8:34am

Will West Ham play route one under Sam.

Charlie Hurley a true legend
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Sloop John G Sloop John G wrote:

You cannot argue with what Sam Allardyce accomplished at Bolton. His modest Bolton team overachieved year after year. Who can forget the myriad times they foiled Arsenal?

Blackburn sacking him was a nonsensical decision.

or Limerick Clap

"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Wearmouth Wearmouth wrote:

Will West Ham BE PROMOTED FROM THE CHAMPIONSHIP under Sam.

YES, ALL THAT MATTERS
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 12:16pm
It really bugs me with football fans over the years complaining about brands of football. I remember going to Highbury with Leeds right at the end of George Graham's reign, after great success and bundles of trophies. Graham's side was on the wane, but some Arsenal fans were decrying his whole tenure because of the "style of play " Confused  i bet they werent complaining at anfield when Michael Thomas scored..................football fans talk sh*te sometimes 
Emerald View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 12:52pm

It really bugs me with football fans over the years complaining about brands of football. I remember going to Highbury with Leeds right at the end of George Graham's reign, after great success and bundles of trophies. Graham's side was on the wane, but some Arsenal fans were decrying his whole tenure because of the "style of play " Confused  i bet they werent complaining at anfield when Michael Thomas scored..................football fans talk sh*te sometimes 

One of the great moments in football.  "It's up for grabs now.....!"  Steve Mc Mahon's face LOL 

PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 1:49pm

Originally posted by Wearmouth Wearmouth wrote:

Will West Ham BE PROMOTED FROM THE CHAMPIONSHIP under Sam.

YES, ALL THAT MATTERS
No, no, no a million times no LOLWink
Dimitar Berbatov View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Javier Hernandez

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dimitar Berbatov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by R-Martinez R-Martinez wrote:

I find it comical, now that Englands golden generation is finished a lot of big names have started to blame grass roots football. Guys like Henry Winter will talk until the cows come home about the different numbers a side at the different ages in England and Spain. bottom line is England had a team capeable of reaching a final in a major competition but there downfall was players disliked playing for England because of the media attention that came with it.

That combination of words always makes me laugh. Hwa hwa hwa hwa hwa hwa hwa hwa hwa.
New York '94, Anfield '95, Lisbon '00, Paris '04, Bari '09, Paris '09, Skopje '11, Tallinn '11 (P 8 W 4 D 3 L 1)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic