You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

That ref..Hannson retires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: That ref..Hannson retires
    Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 4:35pm

The Swedish referee who missed a Thierry Henry handball before the goal against Ireland that sent France to the World Cup in 2010 is to quit his full-time post.

"There is no drama in it," Martin Hansson told the Kvallsposten newspaper. "I wanted a job with greater security, workmates and not to stand or fall because of football."

The 42-year-old has been a professional referee since 2009 and said he would continue as an amateur referee.

Hansson faced severe criticism when he failed to see a handball by France's Henry in the lead-up to their extra-time equaliser against Ireland. The draw in the World Cup playoff second leg in Paris sent France to the finals in South Africa.

Hansson has officiated in Sweden's Allsvenskan since 2001 and became one of six full-time referees in 2009. A part-time firefighter even when refereeing, he now has a job with the emergency services.

"It will be like it was before we were employed full-time, when one had a normal job," Hansson told Kvallsposten.

Sponsored Links

gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 5:06pm

I don't blame the ref.  He was unsighted.  It was so obvious to the linesman.

Edited by gspain - 04 Jul 2013 at 5:06pm
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

I don't blame the ref.  He was unsighted.  It was so obvious to the linesman.

+ 1. Still don't understand how he escaped all the blame, when the camera angle showed he had a direct view across at it. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 10:54pm
mmm...bop
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 2:42am
11 Irish players ran to him after the ball went in. 11 players can't all be wrong, and were not wrong.

The ref who allowed Maradona's goal v the Brits was banned for life. Hansson was rewarded for his incompetence by going to the WC. We should have been there instead.
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 2:45am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

11 Irish players ran to him after the ball went in. 11 players can't all be wrong, and were not wrong.

The ref who allowed Maradona's goal v the Brits was banned for life. Hansson was rewarded for his incompetence by going to the WC. We should have been there instead.

Planning is a total gombeen but he talks sense here. Absolute disgrace he was sent to WC on the back of this
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 4:00am
Why is this news ConfusedConfused pathetic stuff from RTE for even reporting it!!!.
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 7:30am
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Planning is a total gombeen but he talks sense here. Absolute disgrace he was sent to WC on the back of this

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 7:57am
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Why is this news ConfusedConfused pathetic stuff from RTE for even reporting it!!!.

course its news FFS
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
ShannonHibs10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Can't resist used french letters

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShannonHibs10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

mmm...bop

AaronFever View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 10:03am

Why is this a post?

Why is the sky blue?

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
played three, won one, lost two, scored none
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 10:37am
Linesman and ref both made  an awfull mess of this. Then again, they could have been on a nice little earner at the time. Who knows, we might find out some day. 
Untill then, no point crying over spilt milk.
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 10:39am
Originally posted by AaronFever AaronFever wrote:

Why is this a post?

Why is the sky blue?

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

Linesman and ref both made  an awfull mess of this. Then again, they could have been on a nice little earner at the time. Who knows, we might find out some day. 

no chance.  Remember Anelka's dive a few minutes earlier.  It looked a penalty to me on first viewing.  A bent ref could easily have given that. 

A referee can't give a decision based on the opposing players going nuts.   

It was  a major error but it was an error.  Now Raul Nazare and your neighbours Steve.......
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 11:59am
Or maybe if our defenders on the night did their job properly....
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

no chance.  Remember Anelka's dive a few minutes earlier.  It looked a penalty to me on first viewing.  A bent ref could easily have given that. 

A referee can't give a decision based on the opposing players going nuts.    

It was  a major error but it was an error.  Now Raul Nazare and your neighbours Steve.......

Thinking the same myself, if he/they were bent, I doubt it would have went to extra time even.
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 12:32pm
Anyone have any links to this match? Would like to watch it all again.
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Or maybe if our defenders on the night did their job properly....

That's a fact, but the linesman should've done his aswell
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic