You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taxi Drivers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 4:29pm
What's the 20 minute rule?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 4:47pm
They've 20 mins to get back to the airport, otherwise they've to join the back of the queue and wait. Which could be 60 mins +.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 4:58pm
I never even knew about it until I was coming back from a week om tbe beer for the Gibraltar game. I was in bits and this clown of a driver is moaning all the way because he won't make it back in 20 minutes.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

'Sorry not going that way bud'
I still remember a fella telling me that years ago when I was late to meet a relative in Dublin, me trying to explain to an old lad with a taxi licence how the system works!
There can't be many places in the world where a taxi driver says those words.

There are certainly some good points to the Uber model, snot least in actually being able to rate the service provided, I am very sceptical about any company whose aim is to monopolise the market. They don't strike me as particularly safe either. This is from their own terms of service;

UBER SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING … PERSONAL INJURY, OR PROPERTY DAMAGE RELATED TO, IN CONNECTION WITH, OR OTHERWISE RESULTING FROM ANY USE OF THE SERVICES, EVEN IF UBER HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 8:38pm
I take on board the statistic quoted PM, and as had been said in the article one assault is far too many. However, given the paper trail available I think the model Uber has employed is, on paper, the safest we've got for both customers and drivers. The paper trail being the most important aspect of the service.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I take on board the statistic quoted PM, and as had been said in the article one assault is far too many. However, given the paper trail available I think the model Uber has employed is, on paper, the safest we've got for both customers and drivers. The paper trail being the most important aspect of the service.
I would be more worried about their terms of service, the pressure 'employees' are under and the fact that they constantly know where you are. I don't like always knowing where I am, never mind an app.
Most importantly, I have a distrust for anything that clearly wants to monopolise any industry.
I think the best, for customers and drivers, is probably a mix of the two; a regulated service with a clear paper trail and an ability to review drivers. It can't be that complicated.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 8:50pm
In relation to the terms of service I don't believe that is a legal "silver bullet", And it would depend on each situation. And an injured person may still have recourse against the individual driver.

In terms of them always knowing your location, you don't have to have the app. We forfeit certain things in the modern era in the name of convenience or "free" services, or we chose not to use those services. It's a balancing act of what we would prefer to to have. Currently, Uber offer good prices, and are generally reliable and I think most users see that as a greater advantage.

I also think given mass innovation, they will struggle to monopolise the market as new and better ideas are sure to arise, and any permanent surge in pricing will eliminate the added value to the consumer.

Edited by Het-field - 27 Jul 2017 at 8:52pm
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

'Sorry not going that way bud'
You talkin' to me ?
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 11:43pm
Yeah Uber in Manchester works out really cheap. It was a godsend when my parents where over after my op for them to get around. They are stone useless when they leave the confides of Donegal so ordering them ubers was much easier than getting them busses or black cabs
daboi89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daboi89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 2:55am
Uber

got 1 taxi in 2 years here. use uber several times a week.. its sometimes 50% cheaper than cab prices .   
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 3:46am
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Can't say I'm a fan of the taxi drivers of Dublin but when the price of public transport is increasing then yo can't complain when the private sector increases .
Also you have to take into account the increase in insurance and the regulation increase .

Taxi drivers in Dublin are something else LOL
Still clearly remember after sh*tting myself going on a plane for the first time ever and by myself, landing in Dublin only to find the world's angriest Taxi man who decided to pick a fight with a bus driver who decided to pull out infront of us in peak evening match traffic, I mean like not wind down the window and call him a f**k but actually got out the car as were stuck and banged on the bus door for a chat LOLLOL
And on the way back I had some Eastern European chap give me a story about he's barred from Copper Jacks for banging a bird in the toilets, atleast he was calm and didn't make me feel like I was gonna get kidnapped like the first fella! 

In the UK, as others as said, Uber is great, they've even started dipped their toes into the takeaway market where you order from a fast food chain like McDonalds/KFC/Burger King and they'll deliver it for you. And you wonder why obesity in this country is something talked about often LOL

Edited by coyne - 28 Jul 2017 at 3:53am
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 8:28am
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

What's the 20 minute rule?

Depends on the industry :)
AKA pedantic kunt
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I live in Newcastle. If I get a taxi home from the City Centre, it's over €40. They're an absolute rip off. It puts me off going out in town. Nitelink service is sh*te now also. Was great until about 5 years ago.

Use UBER you mentaller???. I was in London 18 months ago and my brother advised on using them as they were way cheaper than the normal ones. 

Surely it's the same in the rest of the UK
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I live in Newcastle. If I get a taxi home from the City Centre, it's over €40. They're an absolute rip off. It puts me off going out in town. Nitelink service is sh*te now also. Was great until about 5 years ago.

Use UBER you mentaller???. I was in London 18 months ago and my brother advised on using them as they were way cheaper than the normal ones. 

Surely it's the same in the rest of the UK

Thick thread awaits

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcastle,_South_Dublin
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 11:52pm

Hoskins to the thick thread
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 12:31am
f**k sake
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 12:43am
Your such a tick
Chips don't bounce
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 12:49am
Punishment should be Sbyrne coming back!

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 29 Jul 2017 at 12:49am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic