You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taxi Drivers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 11:16am
It would be great if it worked the other way.. customers should refuse to get a taxi on one particular day and make a big deal out of it
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

It would be great if it worked the other way.. customers should refuse to get a taxi on one particular day and make a big deal out of it

been thinking this the whole time, or else get a taxi and get them to drop you off at the garage on the edge of the airport or something, be f**king brilliant
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 12:11pm
fair play to the taxi drivers, a great bunch of lads  ClapClapClap

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0824/dublin-airport-taxi-dispute.html

Agreement reached in Dublin Airport taxi dispute

Updated: 10:45, Friday, 24 August 2012

Agreement has been reached between the Dublin Airport Authority and representatives of taxi drivers following overnight talks.

Talks between the DAA and taxi unions, aimed at resolving the two-day-old dispute at Dublin Airport, began at 5.30pm yesterday and concluded after 6am today.

The agreement will see the 70 parking spaces that had been at the centre of the dispute reinstated to taxi drivers for a two-week period, with talks taking place during that time to find a more permanent solution.

Around 400 drivers took part in three slow driving protests yesterday, leading to severe traffic congestion in and around the airport.

The row began on Wednesday after the DAA took back the 70 parking spaces, which had previously been available to taxi drivers.

The authority has said that there is adequate space for taxi drivers even without these spaces, though taxi unions have said some of the other suggested parking locations are not suitable.

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 12:54pm
http://www.irishtimes.com/letters/index.html#1224322862974 

2nd letter down. Apparently it's all the fault of the DAA and nothing to do with the fact Taxi drivers are whingey cúnts
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Town on Friday and Saturday nights have more heavy traffic then at 10am on a Tuesday, and it's all taxis. There should have been a cap on the number of taxi licenses when they rightly deregulated.

no fcuking way shoudl there, dublin is an absolute pleasure now , you walk out of a bar city centre and straight into a cab and home

try queuing for three hours in the pissing rain down at trinity college or accross form the USIT offices from about 2-5 on a sdunday morning in order to finally get a cab to lucan , f**k THAT
Its not an either or Roger, there is a middle ground. 

The amount and quality of taxi's is often an inverse relation to each other. 
AKA pedantic kunt
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Town on Friday and Saturday nights have more heavy traffic then at 10am on a Tuesday, and it's all taxis. There should have been a cap on the number of taxi licenses when they rightly deregulated.

no fcuking way shoudl there, dublin is an absolute pleasure now , you walk out of a bar city centre and straight into a cab and home

try queuing for three hours in the pissing rain down at trinity college or accross form the USIT offices from about 2-5 on a sdunday morning in order to finally get a cab to lucan , f**k THAT
Its not an either or Roger, there is a middle ground. 

The amount and quality of taxi's is often an inverse relation to each other. 

perhaps there is a middle ground baldrick but in this case i would be happy to let the market dictate the amount of taxis , if fellas arent making money from it then they can leave the industry.

what we have now is so far preferable to what we had before that any "middle ground" could actually lead to a regression.

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 1:02pm
Ahern and Bobby Molloy  did supposedly offer a cap on the number of licences based I would imagine on some concessions and the Taxi Drivers allegedly told them to more shove it up their hole so to speak

Edited by Denis Irwin - 24 Aug 2012 at 1:06pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
da scientist View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
I've a tiny micky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da scientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 1:05pm

Da Scientist keep your racist opinions to yourself or you'll be banned

can u not go fishing in the whatever section no more?? Big smile
The main thing is not to panic
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

****s of the highest order. Let away with murder in this country for years, all the while moaning about it and telling everyone who will listen, whether they want to or not. f**k off
On a side note the condition of taxis in this country is an absolute farce as well, imagine getting off the plane from new York, first time in Ireland and your greeted by a fat moany prick in a 94 VW jetta with 400,000 miles on the clock. You'd be surprised some of them don't turn around and get back on the plane.
FFS in Skopje last summer 90% of the taxis were brand new Renault fluences

LOL

So true.

Got a taxi home from Vicar St once and it was in a large people carrier and the taxi man was a fat f**ker who kept cutting farts out to beat the band.
It was such a bad experience that myself and the miss's were in tears of laughter.

On the other hand got a taxi home from the same place some time later in a brand new Mercedes and travelled home in luxury.

I pick and choose my taxi now if at all possible.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

****s of the highest order. Let away with murder in this country for years, all the while moaning about it and telling everyone who will listen, whether they want to or not. f**k off
On a side note the condition of taxis in this country is an absolute farce as well, imagine getting off the plane from new York, first time in Ireland and your greeted by a fat moany prick in a 94 VW jetta with 400,000 miles on the clock. You'd be surprised some of them don't turn around and get back on the plane.
FFS in Skopje last summer 90% of the taxis were brand new Renault fluences

LOL

So true.

Got a taxi home from Vicar St once and it was in a large people carrier and the taxi man was a fat f**ker who kept cutting farts out to beat the band.
It was such a bad experience that myself and the miss's were in tears of laughter.

On the other hand got a taxi home from the same place some time later in a brand new Mercedes and travelled home in luxury.

I pick and choose my taxi now if at all possible.

Reminds me of a taxi we got in into torun from our hotel, it was a 6 seater people carrier from the early 90's, on the dash the taxi man had what I can only describe as a 14 inch portable tv (as old as the car) mounted on the dash playing the Nutty professor through a DVD player also mounted on the dash. He had the sound turned off of course as he wanted to listen to some traditional polish music.
This was strange enough but it gets Breyer, the taxi driver was very over weight, wearing jean shorts and a white vest with his gut dangling dangerously round his knees. Then we noticed in the front passenger seat he had his dog, a little terrier who growled and farted the whole journey into town. Most of wet ourselves laughing for the entire journey but one of lads puked within seconds of getting out.
Strangest, funniest taxi journey I have ever, or will ever take
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 1:46pm
.... Duplicate

Edited by 9fingers - 24 Aug 2012 at 1:49pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 2:36pm
The market can only do what it does if there is way that we can reward the best taxi drivers and punish the jokers by not using them.  Then the cream comes to the top and the market works. However taxi businesss is an imperfect market therefore the laws of the market do not work.  I.E. If I get a taxi and he is a joker, I have no way of punishing him or of spreading the word that he is a            not a good taxi driver and vice versa for very good taxi drivers. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 2:42pm

The market can only do what it does if there is way that we can reward the best taxi drivers and punish the jokers by not using them.  Then the cream comes to the top and the market works. However taxi businesss is an imperfect market therefore the laws of the market do not work.  I.E. If I get a taxi and he is a joker, I have no way of punishing him or of spreading the word that he is a            not a good taxi driver and vice versa for very good taxi drivers. 

You could stay in his cab and give him an hour of your wisdom
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
da scientist View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
I've a tiny micky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da scientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 2:39am
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

You could stay in his cab and give him an hour of your wisdom

LOLLOLLOL
The main thing is not to panic
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 9:24am
As if they are not excessive enough ffs..

The Irish Taxi Drivers' Federation says a proposed 3% increase in taxi fares does not go far enough.

The proposal from the National Transport Authority Review goes to public consultation today, which allows everyone to have their say on how the increase might affect them.

But Irish Taxi Drivers' Federation President Joe Heron says the review only looked at increased operating costs for taxis between 2014 and 2016 and is already out of date.

"It will be two years before the next review," he said.

"We were asked if we would take this 3%, or reject it and wait and have another review next year.

"Now if there was another review done next year, it would be 2019 before that would be passed, so it is vital that we take this, even though it's probably slightly less than half of what we need to keep in line."

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 12:39pm
Very rarely get taxis - only as a last resort. Will usually get a nitelink home from town if I'm on my own.

Absolute robbing coonts
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Very rarely get taxis - only as a last resort. Will usually get a nitelink home from town if I'm on my own.

Absolute robbing coonts
what bugs the fook out of me is the fact there is no competition among firms by some charging below the regulated Maximum fare. So the market is a cartel
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Absolute robbing coonts
what bugs the fook out of me is the fact there is no competition among firms by some charging below the regulated Maximum fare. So the market is a cartel

Yep. On a similar point I've used Uber in the UK and the US and it is absolutely brilliant. Shocking that it's not allowed in Ireland. More or less zero waiting time when I booked it and about half the cost of a normal taxi.
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic