You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Targets for 60 Irish players for 2021-22 Season
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Targets for 60 Irish players for 2021-22 Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 11:29am
Very impressive first post. Clap
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 11:31am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Scully looked a cut above in league 1. Would be good to see how he gets on next season.

If he looked a cut above why was he on the bench for their biggest game of the season?

I believe he has 17 goals and 11 assists for last season and he wasn't always in the team as you pointed out. He's 22 and I suspect has fitness issues which means he doesn't finish 90mins on a regular basis.

Fixing his fitness issues is achievable especially at his age and if he works that out I feel he'll be very good.

But still to deliver what he has last season is remanarkable
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 11:55am
Excellent post greenshoots!

The main hope being with the sheer number of young players breaking through at club level, you would hope 4-5 of them will blossom into half decent players and give us a stronger spine for the Euro 2024 campaign. Pinning my hopes on the 2 young keepers, Collins, O'Shea, Connell, Knight, Parrott & Idah.
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

More work put in there to researching Irish players than O Neill and Keane put in during their tenure. 

True. 
Anyone watch the programme on BBC the other night about Roberto Martinez?
It followed him in his day to day work in the lead up to the euros, some amount of analysis and data he goes through with his team on a daily basis. 
Of course he has the players but its certainly high performance work from him, you'd wonder what ours is like in comparison
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 12:20pm
I think the overall panel for Euro 2024 is looking good.
We have some excellent senior pros and if we can get progress from the two keepers and a decent chunk of the likes of Collins, Parrott, Molumby, Idah, Connolly, Obafemi, O'Connor, Smallbone, Adebuko, McGuinness, Flynn, Roughan, Coventry, Watson, Lawal, we'd be looking at a competitive side....
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Younger Players (under 21)
Lee O'Connor - will return to Celtic after a year on loan at Tranmere. Needs to impress the new manager and nail down a spot in the first team squad even if he isn't a regular starter.
Nathan Collins - likely to move on from Stoke and Burnley are preparing a bid. Would need to become 1st team regular if he joins.
John Joe Patrick Finn Benoa - 6 substiture appearances for Getafe in La Liga back in Jan/Feb. Hopefully he can push on and get some regular action with them next season
Will Smallbone - picked up a knee injury in Jan and will be out for a while. Hopefully can get some 1st team action at Southampton when he refurns to full fitness
Ademipo Odubeko - has been on the 1st team bench regularly. Needs to get some regular experience coming on and potentially make a few starts. Getting on the scoresheet.
Mark McGuinness - was on loan at Ipswich last season and potentially needs another loan move to a Championship club or perhaps stay with Arsenal and push to become a member of 1st team squad.
Oisin McEntee - 20 yr old was given a new contract at Newcastle this summer so hopefully he can get into the first team squad at some stage next season
Festy Ebosele - made the bench last season and needs to break through and be a consistent member of 1st team squad at Derby
Shane Flynn - break through and be a consistent member of 1st team squad at Leicester
Sean Roughan - rumoured to be moving from Lincoln with Chelsea and Southampton interested. If this doesnt happen, continue to get 1st team games at Lincoln
Ansemlo Garcia McNulty - 18 yr old with Wolfsburg in Germany. Needs to push into 1st team squad from their second string.
Conor Coventry - make the jump through to the 1st team squad at West Ham and be a regular match day member
Gavin Kilkenny - 21 yr old lad who consistently makes the bench for Bournemouth. Needs some 1st team game time at this stage. Only got 1 appearance from 19 times on the bench.
Will Ferry - unused sub at Southampton towards the end of the season. Needs to get a few subsstitute appearances under his belt and push on
Conor Noss - 20 years old, regular in 2nd team at Borussia Monchengladbach, needs to impress further and secure first team appearances
Louie Watson - highly regarded by Derby and finished the season with 8 sub appearances in the 1st team. Hopefully can push on and get a starting position
Ryan Johansson- 20 year old, playing with 2nd team in Seville. Will be interesting to see if he can get close to the first team
Luca Connell - went on loan to Queens Park from Celtic last season, ended it with a couple of goals. Needs to impress new Celtic manager and get some game time
Bosun Lawal - 18 yr old highly regarded at Watford, could possibly look to get experience with the 1st team squad
Jonathan Afolabi - 21 yr old, went to Dundee on loan from Celtic last year, mostly used as a sub. Will be looking to impress the new Celtic manager or move on permanently.
Excluding Collins who's already broken through, which of these lads will make the biggest breakthrough next year?

I am going to go with Luca Connell. He wiped the floor when out on loan earlier in the year and he show huge ability in the under 21 games for us, he's also got an unreal left foot and is not afraid to take a shot at goal. He's going back to a Celtic team filled with deadwood and a new manager. I think he puts in a big pre season and the new manager sees his quality, next stop a 35 yard screamer in the old firm derby Clap

There’s plenty lads that could do it. 

Connell would be one yes I would hope he will get into the Celtic picture they are not teeming with depth at midfield. I could see Garcia McNulty getting close to first team action at Wolfsburg too.  

Festy Ebosele I think would be likely to break into the Derby team next season if staying. Will start getting very handy amongst their side. 

Odubeko with a good pre season will hopefully start getting appearances in Cup competitions/Europa League games for West Ham. (presuming he sticks with us) 

If Will Smallbone can come back and get fit he will get a run of first team games for Southampton. Only for injury he’d already be doing this his manager seems to have a very high opinion of him. 

Of the 2003 born lads Callum Kavanagh is one that may well get a first team appearance. Very talented player. 
Also Tayo Adaramola at Crystal Palace is rated really highly there. Another one that may get a first team/cup game look in this season at some stage. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

True. 
It followed him in his day to day work in the lead up to the euros, some amount of analysis and data he goes through with his team on a daily basis. 
Of course he has the players but its certainly high performance work from him, you'd wonder what ours is like in comparison

Its a crucial part of management, and its a role that has evolved in such a way that managers need to be attuned to it, and if it isn't their strongest suit, they have somebody in the management team that is dedicated to it. The Irish rugby team have had this for a long time (potentially there is somebody in the football management team), but for years, the Irish high performance director has sat alongside Schmidt and now Farrell in the booth, and is almost as visible. The closest I have heard with the FAI was when Noel King had a player identification role, after he left the Under 21 job. But it is a sports science, and when applied, I believe to the list of players that Greenshoots has mentioned, that you could undoubtedly create a team that not only should have been able to get to the Euros, but would still be in the hunt for the World Cup.

In many respects, high performance analytics is something that is way more important that haphazardly giving young players 'minutes' and assuming it will stand to them, or trying to force players to play to a standard that they aren't capable of and assuming it will come good. 
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 12:33pm

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

kin ell

+1

+2

It was as long as one of Sid's posts but I actually read this one out of interest.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Excellent post greenshoots!

The main hope being with the sheer number of young players breaking through at club level, you would hope 4-5 of them will blossom into half decent players and give us a stronger spine for the Euro 2024 campaign. Pinning my hopes on the 2 young keepers, Collins, O'Shea, Connell, Knight, Parrott & Idah.

March 2023 is the first of these games. That’s the next target. We will have a solid defence by then I think and the two young keepers I have no fear of them. Kelleher particularly but Bazunu should continue to develop too. 

What is key is the young attackers or even the likes of a Szmodics who has declared for us rise on up the ranks and continue to develop. 

I’d love to see Connolly Obafemi Parrott and Idah get loan moves tbh. The first two to the Championship Parrott to League 1 and Idah to either one. Regular gametime is vital and I don’t see Connolly and Parrott in particular getting it at their parent clubs. Drop down a level play regularly find their feet get momentum hopefully start scoring some goals too. People mention Robbie Keane but I’d point Long Walters who spent their early 20s in the Championship or lower even Damien Duff spent two seasons playing Championship football in his young 20s before coming back up with Blackburn. It’s even more competitive for young attackers today in England then it was then I’d argue comfortably so.  

Also young midfielders such as Johansson Smallbone Connell Coventry Molumby Hodge Kilkenny etc find their way and level. Jack Taylor another one at Peterborough will be intriguing to see how he handles the step up. He’s very talented and I’d be hopeful he will impress next season. 

It will be fascinating to see where these lads will be by March 2023. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 12:58pm

More work put in there to researching Irish players than O Neill and Keane put in during their tenure. 

True. 

I remember going to the Ireland open training session in LR and thinking it's great to be able to see how these elite players train under (O'Neill and Keane)

One group were taking shots on the keeper and then the other group were doing the circle and a player in the middle trying to intercept the ball. 

You'd barely see this at the academy level.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 12:58pm
Welcome, a solid addition to the forum already. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 4:57pm
I think people are probably being overly optimistic when it comes to Connell. He looks too slow to me to make it at a high level. It's a shame because he has a lovely left foot and seems an intelligent footballer, but he really is slow and that's not something that's fixable. It was telling that he didn't even get a run as a sub when Celtic were missing about 15 players after the Lennon piss up in Dubai.

Biggest hopes for me for next season would be an EPL move for Collins, maybe Knight also, Bazunu getting another good loan, Kelleher getting a run of games at some stage and the four younger lads up front getting more game time, probably on loan in most cases.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I think people are probably being overly optimistic when it comes to Connell. He looks too slow to me to make it at a high level. It's a shame because he has a lovely left foot and seems an intelligent footballer, but he really is slow and that's not something that's fixable. It was telling that he didn't even get a run as a sub when Celtic were missing about 15 players after the Lennon piss up in Dubai.

Biggest hopes for me for next season would be an EPL move for Collins, maybe Knight also, Bazunu getting another good loan, Kelleher getting a run of games at some stage and the four younger lads up front getting more game time, probably on loan in most cases.

To be fair I never considered Connell to be a slow player. He plays that holding midfield role and am not convinced he's as slow as say hourihane or Glenn Whelan who have made good careers for themselves.

I dont think declan Rice is particularly fast either.

I think he looks a very good player that has been unlucky with injuries more than anything else.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 5:44pm
I think the players in desperate need of loan moves would be 

Conor Coventry- still hasn't played men's football and when you consider that Knight is 2 years younger than him and has nearly 100 appearances he really needs to go on loan now. Hes already falling behind.

Gavin Killkenny - similar to Coventry and finding himself on the bench but unlikely to get on the pitch. Needs a loan move to a championship club.

Troy Parrott - really needs to continue the progress he's making with a loan, championship would be ideal but league 1 also good. Would be very easy to lose progress he's made by sitting in the spurs u23.

Jimmy Dunne - not fancied at Burnley but has impressed in games. A permanent move to a championship club where he could get games would be great for his development, possibly one of those players that peaks late on.

Adam idah - he's not going to get goals in the EPL as he's only played a handful of games in men's football. Needs a loan to the championship.

Jayson Molumby - had a decent first season with millwall followed by a bitterly disappointing season with Preston. Needs to be playing football week in week out now. Also needs to settle in the holding midfield role. Hes most definitely not a box to box player. I feel he could be a very good holding midfielder though.

Luca Connell - needs a loan move to a better team the queen's park. Needs to stay injury free and go on loan to a league 1 level club to get back on track but I think he could be a really class player for us.

50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 6:33pm

I think the players in desperate need of loan moves would be 

Conor Coventry- still hasn't played men's football and when you consider that Knight is 2 years younger than him and has nearly 100 appearances he really needs to go on loan now. Hes already falling behind.

Gavin Killkenny - similar to Coventry and finding himself on the bench but unlikely to get on the pitch. Needs a loan move to a championship club.

Troy Parrott - really needs to continue the progress he's making with a loan, championship would be ideal but league 1 also good. Would be very easy to lose progress he's made by sitting in the spurs u23.

Jimmy Dunne - not fancied at Burnley but has impressed in games. A permanent move to a championship club where he could get games would be great for his development, possibly one of those players that peaks late on.

Adam idah - he's not going to get goals in the EPL as he's only played a handful of games in men's football. Needs a loan to the championship.

Jayson Molumby - had a decent first season with millwall followed by a bitterly disappointing season with Preston. Needs to be playing football week in week out now. Also needs to settle in the holding midfield role. Hes most definitely not a box to box player. I feel he could be a very good holding midfielder though.

Luca Connell - needs a loan move to a better team the queen's park. Needs to stay injury free and go on loan to a league 1 level club to get back on track but I think he could be a really class player for us.

I would have thought he is the opposite of what you just said. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 8:24pm
I think Molumby has potential as both a box to box and a holding midfielder. What we know doesn't work is playing him in a more advanced midfield position tucked in behind the forwards like Preston tried. It didn't suit him at all, his game is about carrying the ball forward from deeper positions.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

True. 

I remember going to the Ireland open training session in LR and thinking it's great to be able to see how these elite players train under (O'Neill and Keane)

One group were taking shots on the keeper and then the other group were doing the circle and a player in the middle trying to intercept the ball. 

You'd barely see this at the academy level.

It might have been about 18 months after the Euros, cant remember exactly when but we had started our decline just before the end of the WC2108 qualifying campaign. But I'll never forget seeing either a post or an Instagram story of the players doing rondos at the start of a session.

If it was a team from the LSL, you would have been slating them for how bad it was. Honestly some of the worst attempts at possession I've seem from a team, regardless of them being professionals or not.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I think Molumby has potential as both a box to box and a holding midfielder. What we know doesn't work is playing him in a more advanced midfield position tucked in behind the forwards like Preston tried. It didn't suit him at all, his game is about carrying the ball forward from deeper positions.

Molumby doesn't contribute to assists or goals. Every time I've watched him I found he lacks composure in the final third. He also tends to lack positional sense and leave gaps in the midfield.

Where he looks very good is in the tackle, his energy and carrying the ball forward from deep. His passing forward from the back seems to be good too. He needs to lock down his position now.

The fact that he couldn't lock down a position at an average Preston midfield is a worry. As an attacking midfielder, box to box midfielder or holding midfielder.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic