You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sunderland Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13251326132713281329 1451>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 7:34pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Sponsored Links

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 6:11pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 11:30am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 6:33pm

Bad news for Sunderland but no great surprise and with the Newcastle takeover set to go through happy days.

Thumbs Down

Edited by Double Maxim - 21 May 2020 at 6:37pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 2:38pm

Tommy showed some early promise at Sunderland just a shame he didn't fulfill it.

The injuries didn't help.

‘I swapped a Volkswagen Golf for a BMW and thought I’d made it’ @MIUI| https://www.the42.ie/thomas-butler-bmw-5107895-May2020/

Edited by Double Maxim - 27 May 2020 at 2:42pm
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:35pm
Thomas Butler comes across really well in this as an intelligent guy, honest and reflective. He was also a very talented player who with luck could have been a top player for Sunderland and Ireland for many years. Injury problems did for him as they have for so many others and his comment about players constantly having to endure a threshold of pain are instructive. People naturally make assumptions about inflated salaries, flash cars , bling etc but there is a downside. I recall meeting Tommy Smith in Liverpool when he played for them and thinking he was a pig ignorant bollocks but I felt sorry for him in later years when he was crippled by injuries exacerbated by playing when he shouldn't have. Fair play to Thomas Butler for his honesty about what it was really like behind the hype.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 8:05am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Thomas Butler comes across really well in this as an intelligent guy, honest and reflective. He was also a very talented player who with luck could have been a top player for Sunderland and Ireland for many years. Injury problems did for him as they have for so many others and his comment about players constantly having to endure a threshold of pain are instructive. People naturally make assumptions about inflated salaries, flash cars , bling etc but there is a downside. I recall meeting Tommy Smith in Liverpool when he played for them and thinking he was a pig ignorant bollocks but I felt sorry for him in later years when he was crippled by injuries exacerbated by playing when he shouldn't have. Fair play to Thomas Butler for his honesty about what it was really like behind the hype.

Yes I met Thomas several times when he was a Sunderland player always came over as genuinely friendly and switched on.

He was managing Newcastle's Woman's team and I think he's s football agent now?

Good luck to him.

Edited by Double Maxim - 28 May 2020 at 8:07am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 8:16am
Older article about Tommy Butler interesting insight.

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 11:36pm
Interesting article about Dennis Tueart in today's Irish News- I had forgotten that he came out of retirement in 1985 to play for Derry City when they first came into the League of Ireland after 13 years in football exile after exiting the Irish League ( due to the political turmoil in NI ). It was another ex Sunderland player, Derry man Eamonn McLaughlin who played for them back in the 60s, who persuaded him. Tueart played a blinder in that first match, setting up all of Derry's goals in a 3-1 win, and stayed around for nine games in total. He enjoyed his time at Derry and retains good memories of it.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 12:12am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Interesting article about Dennis Tueart in today's Irish News- I had forgotten that he came out of retirement in 1985 to play for Derry City when they first came into the League of Ireland after 13 years in football exile after exiting the Irish League ( due to the political turmoil in NI ). It was another ex Sunderland player, Derry man Eamonn McLaughlin who played for them back in the 60s, who persuaded him. Tueart played a blinder in that first match, setting up all of Derry's goals in a 3-1 win, and stayed around for nine games in total. He enjoyed his time at Derry and retains good memories of it.

Thanks for that Dennis and Eamonn get a mention in this article.

kevblackcat12 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevblackcat12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 5:05pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by kevblackcat12 kevblackcat12 wrote:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2020/5/28/21268730/mick-mccarthy-sunderlands-right-man-at-the-right-time&ved=2ahUKEwiz_7ezuNnpAhXWSxUIHeqzA54QyM8BMBN6BAgEEAQ&usg=AOvVaw0nbx-RwjUPzclWgc25yMJG&ampcf=10
I Think he's the man for us

Good piece by Michael Dunne.

Yes I'd certainly have Mick back he knows how to manage well with little money.

It's whether he'd come back to Wearside in division one?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 10:56am

"Cup holders Celtic and Sunderland before a mach in 1937. Both teams knew the pain of losing a team mate in the rough world of pre-war football. https://t.co/roMTkr0O0D https://t.co/NLr7Gf6P1p" / Twitter @MIUI| https://mobile.twitter.com/tirnaog09/status/1266992985964675072?s=20

Edited by Double Maxim - 31 May 2020 at 3:31pm
SunlunBhoy View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SunlunBhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 4:19pm
Great article Tony.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 5:45pm

Some crackers there from Aido.

Cool 

https://youtu.be/9gIb_jLwAKk

Edited by Double Maxim - 01 Jun 2020 at 5:48pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 12:07pm

Quinners son "Dad why couldn't you have made me support Arsenal and Man city the other clubs you played for." 

I often asked my dad a similar question without mentioning the above clubs!!! 

Edited by Double Maxim - 05 Jun 2020 at 12:07pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 1:37pm

Another season in division one no surprise there then

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 4:42pm
Sure you probably would have just lost in playoff final again 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13251326132713281329 1451>
  Share Topic