Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sunderland Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13191320132113221323 1451>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:25am
I enjoyed the first episode, but it still isn’t a patch on the original ‘Office’.
Sponsored Links

tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

@Tonyjaa I thought you might like this craic Sunderland player Chris Maguire was doing a Sunderland fans Q&A session and Chris was asked would he rather play for Rangers or Newcastle? After a long pause Maguire lifted his Celtic treble treble mug and responded saying neither. [IMG]smileys/smiley16.gif" alt="Cool" title="Cool[/IMG]

Lol

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8493164.stm fecker
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

@Tonyjaa I thought you might like this craic Sunderland player Chris Maguire was doing a Sunderland fans Q&A session and Chris was asked would he rather play for Rangers or Newcastle? After a long pause Maguire lifted his Celtic treble treble mug and responded saying neither. Cool

Lol

I'm sure he got some stick for that from his Celtic mates.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

@Terri, 

Yeah I watched a documentary on Brentford a couple of years ago and it offered an amazing insight into how they run their club.

Most aspects are based primarily on statistics, especially in player recruitment which is unbelievable for a small club to have basically mastered and it puts many big clubs to shame tbh. 

To have the foresight to make a bold decision to put all your trust into statistics was not just groundbreaking but also shows when you truly believe in something that with risk comes reward.

If you google "Benham" or "Rasmus Ankerssen" there are a few articles out there. This one is a bit old, but it's one of the best (imo):
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2718752-brentfords-moneyball-way-to-beat-football-teams-with-huge-budgets
(Apparently Benham hates the term "Moneyball" - there's much more to his approach than that - but it's an American article, where they're all in thrall to Billy Bean etc)

Anyhow since then they've modified some of their ideas, as well as introducing new ones all the time.

I particularly like their player recruitment, where Benham's company monitors literally thousands of players all over the world on behalf of Brentford. And it goes far beyond mere statistics, or even having their scouts watch prospective signings dozens of times, as the article points out.

They also go deep into a player's background to check whether he has the right temperament and attitude etc, so that it doesn't matter how talented or affordable he is, if he's a bad influence, he doesn't get signed.

Thomas Frank (Head Coach) calls it the "No Dickheads Rule" LOL

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

For sure, parachute payments are big business but as you've mentioned promotion can be done without them also and a well ran club who are patient can achieve great things (which is the way I want Sunderland to go)

Again, being in League 1 and learning (hopefully) from the mistakes of yesteryear can give Sunderland a new lease of life and a chance to build a solid platform for years to come, something the club couldn't do in the PL.

I'm actually fairly optimistic for the future.

It is 10 years since Benham bought full control of the club (he had been a benefactor before then). The stability and long term planning he's brought is absolutely key to building that platform.

There are only a bare handful of clubs in the entire 92 who can match Brentford in this respect eg it's taken them nearly 15 years to find a local, affordable site for their new stadium and negotiate the absolute nightmare of getting planning permission to proceed. But until the virus struck, they were comfortably on course to move in for the start of next season and they might still do, depending on how it goes.

Edited by Territorial - 04 Apr 2020 at 1:15pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

@Tonyjaa I thought you might like this craic Sunderland player Chris Maguire was doing a Sunderland fans Q&A session and Chris was asked would he rather play for Rangers or Newcastle? After a long pause Maguire lifted his Celtic treble treble mug and responded saying neither. Cool

Lol

Maguire also said  that Henrik Larsson was his idol as a youngster.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 4:34pm
Tom Flanagan,one of a number of Sunderland players who will be out of contract in the summer,is keen to stay with the club. The NI international defender has a young family and is happy and settled in the area. He has no indication as yet of the club's plans though these may be fluid at the moment depending on whether promotion can be achieved this season or not.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Tom Flanagan,one of a number of Sunderland players who will be out of contract in the summer,is keen to stay with the club. The NI international defender has a young family and is happy and settled in the area. He has no indication as yet of the club's plans though these may be fluid at the moment depending on whether promotion can be achieved this season or not.
Apparently twelve Sunderland players out of contract in the Summer.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:07pm
How many of the squad would you want to keep? Can’t be many!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

How many of the squad would you want to keep? Can’t be many!
See your point but whoever is the manager next season there still has to be a nucleus of players that remain as you can't start from scratch. Before the virus there was still a chance of promotion looks like the season could end up void?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:23pm
I think you would be better off starting from scratch, with one or two better pros.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:27pm

I think you would be better off starting from scratch, with one or two better pros.
No that's too much change at one time it would probably take time to gel.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:30pm

A squad full overpaid w**kers is what has held ye back! Most of them don’t care and that attitude is still in the dressing room. Needs to be removed.
kevblackcat12 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevblackcat12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:39pm
Now that Mick McCarthy has left, I would love to have him back at Sunderland only worry is I don't think he would want to manage in League 1
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:45pm

A squad full overpaid w**kers is what has held ye back! Most of them don’t care and that attitude is still in the dressing room. Needs to be removed.
A lot of them have left the club now the majority of the players are not ex EPL players but brought in from the lower leagues and come through  the Academy and in some cases aren't good enough.

Edited by Double Maxim - 04 Apr 2020 at 5:49pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 8:12pm
Nick Barnes looks like Postman Pat.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 9:05pm

Nick Barnes looks like Postman Pat.
 Big smile Terrible commentator.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 10:52pm
This Charlie Methven character trying to create a Baleaeric style night club atmosphere before a match is funny in episode 1
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 11:30pm
During the Covid19 Crisis, Could we shut down this Thread, It irks me so muchLOL
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13191320132113221323 1451>
  Share Topic