Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sunday trivia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 11:45am
Gareth Barry
365- Aston Villa
132- Man City
99 + 32*=131 (*whilst on loan)-Everton

James Milner
73 +27*=100 (*Whilst on loan) Aston Villa
147-Man City
114- Liverpool

Gary Speed
143- Leeds United (made 248 overall)
213- Newcastle
121- Bolton

Rory Delap
103-Derby
116-Southampton (made 132 overall)
134- Stoke City (180 overall)

Sponsored Links

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Just googled the fourth one. Would never have got him in a million years LOL

Definitely one you'd never think of
Any clues? Position, nationality etc?

Just throw a few names out there you'll get it eventually

Delap?

Clap

Good to see someone picked up on my little assisting clue

Ah. Missed that.

Would never have got Delap
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 1:56am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Hard to believe a player had over 100 appearances in the EPL for 3 different clubs and only got 11 caps for Ireland. I never really rated him mind you.
He was phenomenal for Stoke, especially in the early years return  to the top flight. His long throw could have been very useful for Ireland and given that Trap more or less saw our midfielders as being mostly defensive,  it was bizarre (at least to me) why he was not chosen.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

Hard to believe a player had over 100 appearances in the EPL for 3 different clubs and only got 11 caps for Ireland. I never really rated him mind you.
He was phenomenal for Stoke, especially in the early years return  to the top flight. His long throw could have been very useful for Ireland and given that Trap more or less saw our midfielders as being mostly defensive,  it was bizarre (at least to me) why he was not chosen.
Strange career alright, only played 2 competitive games for us, started the home and away leg of the Turkey playoff in 1999. Mad that he never played a qualifying group game, even as a sub. It was almost 10 years later when he got famous for his long thrown wth Stoke (08-09 season) but never was near an Ireland squad at that stage. Looks like he only started the long throw trick when he was 32.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 10:41pm
http://https://streamable.com/kppp6 I came across this the other day, which shows how frightened teams were of his throw-ins. 
It is made that other teams didn't make the most of it. They were hardly the first team to use it. Andy Legg, Dave Challinor, that Icelandic lad. Surely you use that if you have it.  I used to love watching that Stoke team, which probably isn't a popular thing to say. I thought they were great to watch.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

Strange career alright, only played 2 competitive games for us, started the home and away leg of the Turkey playoff in 1999. Mad that he never played a qualifying group game, even as a sub. It was almost 10 years later when he got famous for his long thrown wth Stoke (08-09 season) but never was near an Ireland squad at that stage. Looks like he only started the long throw trick when he was 32.

Sure remember the talk of him representing Ireland in the Javelin event at London 2012. He was handy at it as a kid.

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

http://https://streamable.com/kppp6 I came across this the other day, which shows how frightened teams were of his throw-ins. 
It is made that other teams didn't make the most of it. They were hardly the first team to use it. Andy Legg, Dave Challinor, that Icelandic lad. Surely you use that if you have it.  I used to love watching that Stoke team, which probably isn't a popular thing to say. I thought they were great to watch.

Blast from the past there. Tranmere Rovers in an FA Cup run to the semi final, right?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 11:58pm
I don't think they ever got past the quarters of the FA cup, which they did around his time there, but he did captain them in a League Cup final, which they lost to MON's Leicester.
Aldridge, who may well have ruined his managerial career by being a bit of a bully to young players, was very innovative and was always looking for novel tactical ploys. He used to keep his three fastest players on the halfway line when defending corners, one on either touchline and the other on the centre circle. When a Tranmere player got  the ball they were to knock it over the top. They had some initial success with it too.

Just reading a couple of things about Delap online there. Apparently, as  clubs were so afraid of his throws that they instructed their ball-boys not to give him a towel, Tony Pulis, in full John Beck mode, decided to get a small towel stitched inside his shirt. I have no recollection of this and I am pretty sure it is a myth. I certainly want to believe it, especially as it is embellished with a chant about said towel, to the tune of Semisonic's 'Secret Smile.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 4:01am

I don't think they ever got past the quarters of the FA cup, which they did around his time there, but he did captain them in a League Cup final, which they lost to MON's Leicester.
Aldridge, who may well have ruined his managerial career by being a bit of a bully to young players, was very innovative and was always looking for novel tactical ploys. He used to keep his three fastest players on the halfway line when defending corners, one on either touchline and the other on the centre circle. When a Tranmere player got  the ball they were to knock it over the top. They had some initial success with it too.

Just reading a couple of things about Delap online there. Apparently, as  clubs were so afraid of his throws that they instructed their ball-boys not to give him a towel, Tony Pulis, in full John Beck mode, decided to get a small towel stitched inside his shirt. I have no recollection of this and I am pretty sure it is a myth. I certainly want to believe it, especially as it is embellished with a chant about said towel, to the tune of Semisonic's 'Secret Smile.

I'm fairly certain this is true. Ryan Shotton had the same on his jersey.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 12:59pm
Which club has produced (i.e. players who came through the academy) the most world cup winners?

I don't actually know the answer I'd assume Bayern Munich? or maybe a Brazilian club? considering they've all won the most

Juventus would be another who'd probably have supplied a majority but not sure they would produced many via their own academy

Edited by lassassinblanc - 24 Apr 2019 at 1:00pm
Mulvanystrasse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mulvanystrasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 1:10pm

Which club has produced (i.e. players who came through the academy) the most world cup winners?

I don't actually know the answer I'd assume Bayern Munich? or maybe a Brazilian club? considering they've all won the most

Juventus would be another who'd probably have supplied a majority but not sure they would produced many via their own academy

Bayern Munich buy most of their players. A lot of Germany’s  WM winning teams are more likely to have come through at ‘Gladbach, Schalke, Dortmund, Hamburg etc.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Mulvanystrasse Mulvanystrasse wrote:

Bayern Munich buy most of their players. A lot of Germany’s  WM winning teams are more likely to have come through at ‘Gladbach, Schalke, Dortmund, Hamburg etc.

Well for 2014

Muller, Schweinstegier, Hummels, Lahm all came through the Bayern youth team from a young age.

Kroos I know not being from Bavaria probably would have joined from another club but he came through their academy from a technical point of view too.

Beckenbauer would have been another from Bayern academy may have been more from 1974 era.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 2:36pm
For Uruguay’s two wins the bulk of their players came from Peñarol and Nacional. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was one of them.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 2:46pm

For Uruguay’s two wins the bulk of their players came from Peñarol and Nacional. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was one of them.

True
Mulvanystrasse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mulvanystrasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 2:53pm

Well for 2014

Muller, Schweinstegier, Hummels, Lahm all came through the Bayern youth team from a young age.

Kroos I know not being from Bavaria probably would have joined from another club but he came through their academy from a technical point of view too.

Beckenbauer would have been another from Bayern academy may have been more from 1974 era.

2014 - Schalke - Manuel Neuer, Benedict Howedes, Mesut Ozil, Julian Draxler all came through the academy.
1990 - Schalke - Olaf Thon

I am sure ‘Gladbach would have produced many also like Lothar Matheus.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 3:06pm

Well for 2014

2014 - Schalke - Manuel Neuer, Benedict Howedes, Mesut Ozil, Julian Draxler all came through the academy.
1990 - Schalke - Olaf Thon

I am sure ‘Gladbach would have produced many also like Lothar Matheus.

Well two can play that game Wink

1990 : Augenthaler, Aumann, Pflügler.

All Bayern youth players

As Pre Madonna says I'd imagine it would be one of Penarol or Nacional as a good % of their 1930/50 squads were made up of players from those two.

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 5:10pm
Gonna say West Ham ?
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 5:13pm
seriously though Flamengo or Botofogo ?
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>
  Share Topic