You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suicide

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Trapped Trapped wrote:

Mate of mine works in Iarnriod Eireann and he's told me some horror stories about lads cleaning trains and finding different parts of bodies found under and around the engine from people throwing themselves in front of them. He says it happens fairly regularly but never makes it into the public domain.

The Belfast trains are the worst for it apparently because they're the fastest and people killing themselves know. Some of the drivers are granted leave a few months if they hit them, and sometimes they don't come back to the job. Imagine driving the train coming around the corner  and making eye contact with the person the second before it hits them.

Defo a topic that should be talked about more openly. Think we've the highest suicide rate in Europe.

Living in London this is fairly common on the underground. The amount of times line are partly suspended cause of people throwing themselves under trains. Half an hour the line is fully up and running again. Life goes on!

Yeah I read somewhere alright Ireland has the highest suicide rate in Europe ad being from Leitrim I can confirm that we have the highest suicide rate in the country.
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 7:04pm
El Nino - very sorry for your loss, I cannot imagine what its like to lose a brother -

Do you think the reason it does not get such public exposure (except in Thailand) is because of the 'domino effect' that it gives people ideas?

I have never been a shrinking violet or shy - in fact I would quite happily talk the hind leg off a donkey - so making friends and getting out and about always came naturally to me, but for some people its not that easy -

I think forums like YBIG and supporting the Irish team is a great interest and hobby for people - ok there is sl*gging and the various team rivilary - but in general its a great way to meet people and to travel -

I was so shocked by the atmosphere and camaraderie of euro - even my mam and dad made friends and keep in touch with a couple they met in Poznan from our town but who they never really got to know before euro -

It's a great outlet and gives people something to safe for or to look forward to -

I am back to this again, but never under estimate the positive effects of excercise and training on your mood, endorphins galore after an hour or two doing some physical activity.

Any sort of team sport on a weekly basis is really really positive -

balance in life - a bit of the good the odd bit of the bad - keeping that balance is what leads to a healthy mind and body. If you like food, eat but work it off, if you like a drink why not but run the toxins off the next day -
Metal Paul View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
The Dude

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metal Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 7:14pm
Good first post Andkend. My sister's best friend took her own life at 17, I lost a good friend 11 years ago. He never got over the suicide of one of his best friends a few years earlier. That same suicide led to the father's death a couple of years later, he also never got over the death of his son. It's tragic the amount of suicides that go unreported, I understand that it helps the families grieve in private but maybe if it was made more public it could help people who are depressed and maybe they would go seek some help. 
"There are no chicks with dicks Johnny, just guys with tits."
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 11:46pm
Kerry has the second highest rate of suicide in the country. I know many people who been affected by it and I just cant explain it. I lost a cousin to it a few years ago and he was only a child really. No signs of depression , loads of friends and seemed to have a very bright future. His parents are active in the fight against suicide and encourage people to come together and talk. Because of them amongst others, Pieta House is supposed to be opening a centre in Kerry shortly. People young and old find it very hard to talk about their feelings and they need to be encouraged to do this. Always be aware
Gizzmo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gizzmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 1:06am
Work with young people for the past 14 years and we can name at least name 30 plus young people and adults that have died by suicide. have to say it never gets any easier to deal with - some of the young people I worked very closely with - the absolute sadness and grief is the hardest thing to get through the not knowing and the never getting answers for family and friends. There is very little services that deal with issues especially in crisis and 24 hour services - the government continues to reduce mental health service and other support services, i think the problem is getting worse and think its great that people are standing up and encouraging people to talk - get help but we've still a long way to go 
Richard Dunne For Captain
Shay Given is GOD !!
sheasy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

Suicide is the most selfish act possible. The pain is felt by those left behind. Harsh but true.
Think this is the view of a lot of people when the word suicide is mentioned.  I don't agree with it, I genuinely believe that people who take their own lives have reached such a point that they do not deem themselves worthy anymore.  Obviously there are cases where somebody drinks too much and they make a decision that can never be reversed, but for those people who have suffered from depression for such a long period of time and finally decide to commit suicide, I really feel in their own minds that they had absolutely no other choice.  It's an illness just as bad as any other you can think of, it should be treated in the same manner.
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by sheasy sheasy wrote:

Suicide is the most selfish act possible. The pain is felt by those left behind. Harsh but true.
Think this is the view of a lot of people when the word suicide is mentioned.  I don't agree with it, I genuinely believe that people who take their own lives have reached such a point that they do not deem themselves worthy anymore.  Obviously there are cases where somebody drinks too much and they make a decision that can never be reversed, but for those people who have suffered from depression for such a long period of time and finally decide to commit suicide, I really feel in their own minds that they had absolutely no other choice.  It's an illness just as bad as any other you can think of, it should be treated in the same manner.
On the Ball and true!!!!
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 1:57pm

Facts about Suicide

How many people die by suicide?

1. Around one million people complete suicide each year worldwide. This figure is higher than the combined numbers of people who die by homicide and war. It is also higher than the number of people who die in road traffic accidents in most European countries12
Having just read this I am in a state of shock

We have seen a huge reduction in road deaths over the last few years, is it possible to reduce the number of deaths by suicide with campaigns similar to that of the Road Safety Authority which have helped reduce road deaths.
I know nothing :-)
athlonecelt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athlonecelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 2:11pm
If you believe it to be the ultimate selfish act just think

The thought of leaving a grieving family and suffering a horrible death is less scary than living one more day.
Can you imagine
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 2:11pm

What about the person who clearly isn't well or happy? Should they be made live a life of suffering and be judged if they actually went ahead and killed themself? 

How about the people who have no friends or family and they end up killing themselves? They may not leave any pain behind for others like a person who may have loads of friends and family but at the end of the day it's a life lost and ultimately they're decision has to be respected.

My uncle Brendan killed himself in August 2001, i was only 11 and he was like the big brother i never had and still to this day i think about him and often shed a few tears from time to time but never will i call him selfish. 

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Andkend Andkend wrote:

El Nino - very sorry for your loss, I cannot imagine what its like to lose a brother -

Do you think the reason it does not get such public exposure (except in Thailand) is because of the 'domino effect' that it gives people ideas?

I have never been a shrinking violet or shy - in fact I would quite happily talk the hind leg off a donkey - so making friends and getting out and about always came naturally to me, but for some people its not that easy -

I think forums like YBIG and supporting the Irish team is a great interest and hobby for people - ok there is sl*gging and the various team rivilary - but in general its a great way to meet people and to travel -

I was so shocked by the atmosphere and camaraderie of euro - even my mam and dad made friends and keep in touch with a couple they met in Poznan from our town but who they never really got to know before euro -

It's a great outlet and gives people something to safe for or to look forward to -

I am back to this again, but never under estimate the positive effects of excercise and training on your mood, endorphins galore after an hour or two doing some physical activity.

Any sort of team sport on a weekly basis is really really positive -

balance in life - a bit of the good the odd bit of the bad - keeping that balance is what leads to a healthy mind and body. If you like food, eat but work it off, if you like a drink why not but run the toxins off the next day -
your spot on with everything you have said I used to play with my local team and never had a care in he world but then just over 4 years ago I was told my brother was very sick and would be unlikely to make Christmas that year and wouldn't live to see his 18th. This along with the stress of going into my leaving cert year messed with my head, I stopped playing sport and slowly but surely started to be depressed and isolated myself at home to spend as much time as I could with my brother. There was times I considered ending it all to free myself from the hell I was in because I had no release from it after I stopped playing sport but ultimately I would stop myself from doing any harm to myself because I was lucky I knew I had people that I could talk to ( not everyone has this) and I thank these people every time I see them because without them who knows what I would of done. I've struggled through the passed 4 years and happy I did because my brother is now 19 and in best health he has been in for years. I still have bad days when I think about it but when in the end of the day I'm still here and get to enjoy good days with my brother that I wouldn't get to enjoy if I would of did anything
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
CSCD View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 4:51pm
Its a terrible illness and still very much a taboo subject for society unfortunately.

Pipscharity.com are a fantastic charity in Belfast. Ive worked on a few documentaries for them and they work very very hard for the community.
Johnner View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 3:37pm
Lost me best mate to suicide before Christmas .Don't think i will ever get over it. If he could just see the pain he has left behind and his family, his mam and dad are broken. It's just horrendous . I know some people say it's selfish but just imagine the pain you must feel to actually go through with it. 

I got a booklet from console called living with suicide and if i had of read it before i think i might have known something was up with him. Every house in Ireland should be issued this booklet because educating yourself on the subject could save someones life.
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Johnner Johnner wrote:

Lost me best mate to suicide before Christmas .Don't think i will ever get over it. If he could just see the pain he has left behind and his family, his mam and dad are broken. It's just horrendous . I know some people say it's selfish but just imagine the pain you must feel to actually go through with it. 

I got a booklet from console called living with suicide and if i had of read it before i think i might have known something was up with him. Every house in Ireland should be issued this booklet because educating yourself on the subject could save someones life.
Sorry to hear that. True what you say about people educating themselves. It could make a great difference. As for losing your buddie all I can say is some day you will be a stronger person for what your going through and hopefully you will never experience it again 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 4:52pm
sorry to hear that about your mate johnner. its good to educate yourself but when someone is manically depressed (and believe me i know what im talking about from dealing with this first hand) there is little or no warning sign really. they could be acting as normal one day and take their own life the next as by then they ve already decided they ll do it and its almost like a relief to them, that they wont be a burden anymore. thats the big problem for me and its extremely difficult to detect if someone is going to take their own life    
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Jackthelad View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It's OUR year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackthelad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 5:02pm
Almost impossible I would say.
It's still not a discussion topic in this country, it's taboo to a certain extent. Yet, there isn't 1 of us I would say that hasn't be affected by it.
Terribly sad, and it's a major issue in this country.
Oh Poland we loved you.....
Johnner View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 5:12pm
The booklet mentions things to look out for and one of the things it says is that someone feeling suicidal might uncharacteristically ring you up a lot very late between midnight and morning time and my mate was doing that and saying things he normally wouldn't say. I didn't see the signs and thought he was just drunk and i would laugh it off . Now he never said he was suicidal  but if i had of read the booklet i would have known to be worried and could have tried to help, i think he was reaching out and i couldn't see it.  It's to late now though.
Jackthelad View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It's OUR year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackthelad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 5:13pm
Sorry to hear that.
Oh Poland we loved you.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic