You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suicide

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suicide
    Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 12:15pm
I can't search for threads for some reason - so I apologise in advance if there already is a thread of this title.

I really want to make a few points -

I lost a friend to suicide before christmas - newyears his best buddy took an overdose - I had to deal with my own brother who was on a right downer this christmas, mostly because his buddy commited suicide in november. I lost another friend 5 years ago who commited suicide in thailand - when I heard the news I did a search and the goddamed Thai Police had a video of themselves cutting my friend down from the stairs where he hung himself - it was bad enough to know he had killed himself, but to see him hanging there, well it will never leave my mind. He was a gent, but he hit hard times.

Christmas is a tough time for people -

My brother never even did his intercert - he had a trade but he has very little business now, it really gets to him that he can only get minimum wage jobs, he had a chance at work abroad but he won't fly - he could not afford expensive presents for his kids this christmas - which for him was a huge deal - he could'nt get a loan from the credit union he has too many debts -

Look out for people this time of year, check in on them, meet up with them and make sure no one is alone - after a bout of drinking the world can look very black and it only takes a moment and the decision can never be reversed.

Please keep it in mind this time of year.

athlonecelt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athlonecelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 12:24pm
Great postClap
Something we all should take some sort of responsibility for.
You're worth a lot more to everyone else  than what you earn.  
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by athlonecelt athlonecelt wrote:

Great postClap
Something we all should take some sort of responsibility for.
You're worth a lot more to everyone else  than what you earn.  

Spot on.

And well said Andkend. Have been fortunate enough to not lose anyone close to me through suicide so far in my life, although one of my best mate's dads hung himself about six months ago. He did it while his wife (my mate's mum) was in hospital with some form of depression too. Needless to say the family are left completely and utterly devastated. It's something this country in particular has had terrible issues with over the years too sadly.
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 1:45pm
unfortunately one suicide can have a domino effect -

Excercise is a great help for depression - routine of training.

Make them feel needed important -

You are worth way more than what you earn -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v--fTVAWE8

I love this!!!
Vivakenbarlow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivakenbarlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 3:39pm
Spot on andkend

Suicide gets swept under the carpet so much in this country. This is done to save the family from any further anguish but it might help if people were a bit more open about it. My mates a copper on the northside of dublin and i can tell you there have been a serious amount of suicides in the area he works over the last few years- loads of people who would have had a few quid cant take the financial strain of the recession
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 3:46pm
I know of 2 lads aged 34/35 who committed suicide just before Christmas.
Unbelievable stuff.

Unfortunately I know too many people affected by suicide. 

Edited by horsebox - 03 Jan 2013 at 3:46pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 4:10pm
A lot of the time there are no warning signs too. It's such a hard thing to get your head around. It's an epidemic in Ireland right now
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 4:12pm
people go to the doctor if they are physically ill,
mostly no one goes to see a therapist at all when they have symptoms of depression or of any other mental problem . Andkend is right , keep a good eye on your mates and family.

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 4:20pm
Suicide is the most selfish act possible. The pain is felt by those left behind. Harsh but true.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 4:36pm

Mate of mine works in Iarnriod Eireann and he's told me some horror stories about lads cleaning trains and finding different parts of bodies found under and around the engine from people throwing themselves in front of them. He says it happens fairly regularly but never makes it into the public domain.

The Belfast trains are the worst for it apparently because they're the fastest and people killing themselves know. Some of the drivers are granted leave a few months if they hit them, and sometimes they don't come back to the job. Imagine driving the train coming around the corner  and making eye contact with the person the second before it hits them.

Defo a topic that should be talked about more openly. Think we've the highest suicide rate in Europe.

67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Trapped Trapped wrote:

Mate of mine works in Iarnriod Eireann and he's told me some horror stories about lads cleaning trains and finding different parts of bodies found under and around the engine from people throwing themselves in front of them. He says it happens fairly regularly but never makes it into the public domain.

The Belfast trains are the worst for it apparently because they're the fastest and people killing themselves know. Some of the drivers are granted leave a few months if they hit them, and sometimes they don't come back to the job. Imagine driving the train coming around the corner  and making eye contact with the person the second before it hits them.

Defo a topic that should be talked about more openly. Think we've the highest suicide rate in Europe.

i think its finland who have the highest due to the climate there but i reckon its very high in ireland alright , everyone knows someone...

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 4:40pm

Edited by Andkend - 04 Jan 2013 at 8:33am
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

Suicide is the most selfish act possible. The pain is felt by those left behind. Harsh but true.

I don't think thats fair - usually the person is so low that they think they are a burden on their friends or families and that they would be better off without them.

Anorexics look in the mirror and see non existent fat - its the same with depressed people - they only see the negative -

Alot of it is done under the influence of alcohol which is an depressant -

Its a complicated subject - thats for sure.
c90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

i think its finland who have the highest due to the climate there but i reckon its very high in ireland alright , everyone knows someone...

6th lowest according to IT in october

Maggie Thatcher, Winston Churchill, Lawrence Of Arabia, Elton John! Yiz can all go f**k yerselves
irish boogie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish boogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 5:31pm
Great first post and really good to see it being discussed on here , while we are talking about helping others its worth remembering if we don't mind our own mental health we cant help others.

Just a small point but its best to use the phrase died by Suicide rather than the word commit. just a habit of using the word commit for years.Thumbs Up

Suicide was decriminalised in Ireland in 1993 
Thank You Torun and Tyskie
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 6:16pm
Good to see this being discussed on here, and pertinent that one of our charities on here for 2013 is SHINE/See ChangeClap
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 6:30pm
Have witnessed the domino effect it has. 3 good mates who were in my class in secondary school commited suicide all in the space of 6 months of eachother. Having lost my brother through tragic circumstances 5 years ago I can relate to the grieving side of things, however although my brother died tragically at least we know how he died, why, etc which helps alot with the grieving. IMO suicide is a very selfish thing to do but at the same time who knows what these people are going through when they are in that dark place.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2013 at 6:38pm

Happened to my dad a few times, he said that you'd see pieces of body all over the place or that half their brain be gone but they'd still be alive. There must be months of railway staff lost to suicides because they get like 14 weeks off or something over it.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic