You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strange things people do

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6667686970 80>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 8:17pm
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

https://www.businessinsider.com/lottery-is-a-tax-on-the-poor-2012-4o

As stated, a tax is a payment you have no option but to pay, it's not a tax 
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

your link is not working. 

Link fixed. Below here too

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/lottery-is-a-tax-on-the-poor-2012-4%3famp
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 9:03pm
I had a scratch card addiction once.  It was an itch I had to scratch.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 9:06pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/lottery-is-a-tax-on-the-poor-2012-4%3famp
Ah here Lenny, reason number one they give goes for everything in life. If a poor person lives on €80 a week and gives €40 to charity, he's has given away more relatively than a millionaire who gives €400 to the same charity.

Edited by Sham157 - 28 Nov 2020 at 9:07pm
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 9:15pm

Ah here Lenny, reason number one they give goes for everything in life. If a poor person lives on €80 a week and gives €40 to charity, he's has given away more relatively than a millionaire who gives €400 to the same charity.

It's true for things that be to be paid, like vat on shopping or excise on petrol, they're regressive taxes as they have to be paid and effect people differently based on income, along your lines above, something that isn't necessary/compulsory can never be a tax 

Doing an economics exam next week, tax is a question on it, if I tried to argue scratch cards were a regressive tax, I'd fail 

Edited by nvidic - 28 Nov 2020 at 9:15pm
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

It's true for things that be to be paid, like vat on shopping or excise on petrol, they're regressive taxes as they have to be paid and effect people differently based on income, along your lines above, something that isn't necessary/compulsory can never be a tax 

Doing an economics exam next week, tax is a question on it, if I tried to argue scratch cards were a regressive tax, I'd fail 

Frankly in my humble opinion, that article is simply misusing the term tax. Agree fully with what you're saying.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

As stated, a tax is a payment you have no option but to pay, it's not a tax 
Of course, but it is unquestionable that lotteries are created to sell hopes and dreams to those most desperate and the money is then used to plug holes in the economy as a result of government mismanagement, which is then used to give those people a sense of validation and social reward for playing the lottery. It isn't a 'tax' in the strictest sense of the word, but is really just a tax substitute.
The latest advertising for the lottery here is proof of that, showing how the lottery gives money to the NHS and to help the war wounded. It is proof that we need to remove the idea of charity from society, fast!
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Know a fella( Something wrong with him) who takes a crap facing the tank.

Going through this thread from the start,this one has me in stitchesLOL

And Gaz in an absolute oddball
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Know a fella( Something wrong with him) who takes a crap facing the tank.

Going through this thread from the start,this one has me in stitchesLOL

And Gaz in an absolute oddball

Done same myself today, some hilarious stories 
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 12:28pm
Since my father died I have taken to looking through RIP.ie

I think this is probably because I want to feel that I am not grieving alone

I'm not sure if this is healthy or not, I think it's probably unhealthy in that it makes me feel more down, but at the same time maybe I am trying to reinforce a sense of empathy and respect for others within myself (at least when I'm not calling people on the internet "****s"), to remind myself that life is about people, and given that I am starved of actually meeting with other people at the moment, maybe this is a way of doing this

But at the same time it's definitely voyeurism

RIP.ie takes you down rabbit holes

This morning I looked at a particular death notice, a young woman, I'd say in her 30s

I spent about about an hour piecing together her and family's life story, it seems a very sad one, and within a very short time I felt myself identifying very strongly with the grief her family must be feeling over the loss of what seemed like a wonderful person in a wonderful family, and I thought about leaving a message of condolence, but I didn't because I felt it would have just been weird to do so given that I didn't know her and only discovered her existence online

A couple of weeks ago I stumbled across the tragic death of a man who had put a roof on our garage at home 15 years ago, somebody I'd guess might possibly have been known to one or two posters here

And he seemed like a great man

This made me sad too

I look at the death notices of older people too, and imagine what they must have meant to their families and the stories they would have had to tell

I don't really know what the purpose of this post is except to say that this is a strange thing I have taken to doing, or is it strange?

Do other people do this or is it something people start doing as they get older or suffer a bereavement, bearing in mind that the facility to do this has only recently become available. ie. the internet

Or is it because of this time we are in, when the topic of death and sadness seems to be all around us, that I am doing this

Or is it all of this

Edited by sid waddell - 20 Feb 2021 at 12:35pm
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 1:23pm
Sid you need to keep away from rip.ie . 
Not sure why but people who i work with love death for some reason now sure it's an age thing but when they find someone they know who has died it's a case of yes i know someone .

Look maybe an Irish thing but stay off it Sid try to find things that make you happy about your Dad think positive in a time of pain .

I remember when my Dad died three days later we were sat in his house on a Saturday morning and my Sister said Burnley are playing Leeds today ( Championship ) should we go ? 
Now my Brother in law said if he was alive he would really wanted us to go and he was right and the Clarets won that day and it still makes us laugh ............... Thanks Dad Approve

Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 2:03pm
Irish culture is obsessed with death. It's a national fetish.

Sid, I find the pieces in the Irish Times every Saturday about the people who have died to be done in a lovely way and might give you some succour.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Sid, I find the pieces in the Irish Times every Saturday about the people who have died to be done in a lovely way and might give you some succour.

I don’t think we run away from it or pretend it doesn’t happen. I think the ceremony and stuff around death in Ireland is actually cathartic and healthy and one of the sad things about the last year is that has been largely denied from people who have lost someone.   It was a huge help to me to have the process of the funeral and having friends and family turn up.  I think we do death well in this country and sadly many people have missed out on that over the last year.   
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I don’t think we run away from it or pretend it doesn’t happen. I think the ceremony and stuff around death in Ireland is actually cathartic and healthy and one of the sad things about the last year is that has been largely denied from people who have lost someone.   It was a huge help to me to have the process of the funeral and having friends and family turn up.  I think we do death well in this country and sadly many people have missed out on that over the last year.   
It wasn't a criticism and the reasons why we have it are wide and varied, but we do almost obsess over it. Some of it is quite healthy, but I am not sure all of it is. I think that the big hand of the Church and the fear it uses to keep a hold over people is the problematic part.
The more positive aspects are that we deal with the emotions it brings more humanely than over here or in other parts of northern Europe and the reaction communities have to it.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 2:25pm
Well said.  I am not fan of the church and I don’t attend mass. I have been struck at times when attending mass either for a funeral or a christening or a communion that there is very little to
Replace the community aspect it brought to Irish life.  Far more bad than good in my view but I suppose sport is one way but there is not much else.  

Community is hugely important whether that’s a football club or a book club or a load of auld lads having a pint 2 or 3 times a week.  We are losing it and if one good thing comes from this pandemic is maybe an appreciation of community in its many guises.  I missed the Bohs and Dubs matches when I was away and and still do.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 2:52pm
It is definitely a social issue across Europe. We need to channel the same sense of belonging and duty that religion brought into the communities themselves. The idea there was a place that everybody needed to be every week was good for society, to discuss life on a relatively equal footing and created a community, even if what brought them there hasn't always been good for the progress of that society.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 3:06pm
They used to say the churches of the future were shopping centres which was depressing and became through in Ireland during 2000s but unsurprisingly it was vacuous. Now those shopping centres have an uncertain future too.  

You are dead right.  Europe does need to come up with community based activities which are not religious or commercially based.  

I know you didn’t like it’s a sin but the sense of community during London in the 80s amongst the gay community is obvious.  

I have said the same about this place to a lesser extent at one point but even that has gone now and it’s largely just strangers arguing online (myself included ) 
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6667686970 80>
  Share Topic