You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steven Reid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steven Reid
    Posted: 18 May 2010 at 2:29am

Celtic are said to be on the verge of signing midfielder Steven Reid on a free transfer. Reports in various newspapers on Tuesday morning say the Republic of Ireland international, whose contract with Blackburn Rovers comes to an end over the summer, has held talks with the Hoops.

Neil Lennon is believed to have recommended the signing of the 29-year-old as Celtic look to improve their squad to challenge Rangers for next season’s SPL title. Loan signings Robbie Keane, Diomansy Kamara and Edson Braafheid will also need replaced, with all returning to their parent clubs shortly.

Reid has been dogged by injuries during his seven year stint at Ewood Park and spent time on loan at Championship clubs QPR and West Bromwich Albion last season after failing to break into Sam Allardyce’s plans.

A central midfielder who can also play out wide, Reid managed just 42 appearances in the past four seasons with Blackburn, suffering persistent back and knee injuries.

He played just three times at the start of the 2006/07 season, forcing his way back into the team for the following campaign and impressing under Mark Hughes. But he suffered another knee injury after just four games of the 2008/09 season and didn’t return to the Blackburn team until August last year.

Reid appeared to get his career back on track last season with his role in helping West Brom gain automatic promotion to the Premier League, playing 10 times following his March move.

The Baggies want to keep Reid at the Hawthorns for their shot at staying in the English top flight next season but Celtic have made a hopeful approach to the London-born player, who started his career with Millwall.

Capped 22 times by the Republic of Ireland on account of his grandparents’ nationality, Reid was part of their squad at the 2002 World Cup and came off the bench in their two group matches with Cameroon and Germany.

Last updated: 18 May 2010, 07:45

i see from the daily record he was at lennoxtown yday for talks
put em under pressure!
Sponsored Links

dunloybhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 2:30am

Neil Lennon in swoop to take freed Blackburn midfielder Steven Reid to Celtic

May 18 2010 By Keith Jackson

CELTIC yesterday launched a surprise bid to sign Republic of Ireland international Steven Reid - in a move sanctioned by interim boss Neil Lennon.

Record Sport can reveal the 29-year-old - up for grabs as a free agent after leaving Blackburn - was at the club's Lennoxtown HQ yesterday to open talks on a Parkhead contract and was last night on the brink of agreeing a deal.

But crucially, it's understood Reid's name was first put forward as a suggested summer signing by current caretaker boss Lennon - the first indication that the man from Lurgan is on the verge of being given the job on a permanent basis.

Lennon spent the final few weeks of the season drawing up a list of the transfer targets he would go after were he to be handed full control as Tony Mowbray's successor.

And the fact chief executive Peter Lawwell is forging ahead in his attempts to seal the deal for Reid - on a wage packet likely to be worth around £20,000-a-week - proves the board are prepared to back their man's judgment with hard cash.

Reid has fallen out of the plans at Ewood Park since the arrival of Sam Allardyce as boss and was farmed out on loan to QPR and West Brom.

He had been expected to accept a long-term deal to stay at the Hawthorns but Celtic have now jumped to the front of the queue for his signature.

Sources close to the deal say Lawwell is confident an agreement will be concluded soon - and insist it will be done with Lennon's blessing.

Record Sport was told last night: "The talks went well with Steven and Celtic feel a deal is close. Suffice to say, Neil Lennon. knows all about the player and if he felt for a minute that this was not in Celtic's interests then these talks would not have been taking place."

put em under pressure!
The Saint View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 2:45am
thought he was signing for west brom
FAIlure

Good shot, lovely ............ oh good jaysus
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 3:01am
Good stuff. At least he has a couple of offers.
Good chance for him to win trophies.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 3:11am
if he stays fit it will be beneficial for both teams
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 3:20am
very good player if he can stay fit and would do well in scotland
sadly i cant ever see him having an injury free run of games the way his career has been
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 4:25am
Cant see him lasting injury free in Scotland, them coonts up there will kick lumps out of him
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 5:16am
Don't mind where he plays just as long as he plays
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
zoolander View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoolander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 5:25am
Would be a good move for Reid. Hope it materialises. Always did a decent job for Ireland and it would be good to have him back in the squad for the qualifiers.
It's a walk-off!
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 6:51am
Good he has an option. Could do well at Celtic but if WBA want to keep him that's also a great move. Although I want to see him back in Centre Mid
Pubes View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pubes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 6:56am
i think his day as past.. along with players who are still capable at international level (steve finnan) Trap doesnt rate them anymore or just doesnt want to take the risk of playing them again and having to do without them when they get injured..i dont know what it is.. but both should be in the ireland set up without a doubt
Carmody 10 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmody 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 7:02am
Good man Reid
Hopefully he can just settle down now
Out of order
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 7:08am
he will be a good addition to the celtic treatment room
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 7:15am
Hopefully West brom get him. A fit Steven Reid is good enough for EPL
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 7:39am
Yeah I thought he'd agreed to join the Baggies, but I'd love to see him at Celtic Park, player like him was sadly missing the last couple of years.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 7:43am
Celtic are today awaiting an answer from Irish midfielder Steven Reid, who has been handed the chance to become the club’s first signing of the summer.

Senior sources at the Parkhead club confirmed they have opened talks with the 29-year-old.

But Reid is also expecting to be offered a deal at West Brom – where he has just completed a short-term loan – as he prepares to become a free agent after failing to win a new contract at Blackburn.

The player would cost around £1million per year in wages, but Celtic believe he still represents value for money – especially as he is a Bosman – and have moved quickly to try and lure Reid north.

After talks were held in Glasgow over the last few days, when the player was shown around Celtic Park and Lennoxtown, the ball is now in his court.

Reid – who has been capped 22 times for the Republic of Ireland – can play in the centre of midfield or out wide.

At 6ft 1in, he has the stature and experience which interim manager Neil Lennon has informed chief executive Peter Lawwell and major shareholder Dermot Desmond is essential to add to the squad which failed to collect any trophies last season.

Reid has been plagued by knee injuries in the past few seasons and, after regaining full fitness, struggled to win his place back at Blackburn when Sam Allardyce took over last term.

He was loaned out to Queens Park Rangers then West Brom for the final few months of the campaign as he battled to prove he has regained his fitness.

He played a significant part in helping the Baggies win promotion back to the Premiership, and the chance to perform at that level again could be the biggest obstacle to Celtic convincing him he should move to the SPL.

Reid had planned to go on holiday this week where he would mull over his options.

And he accepts it is a crucial stage in his career. He acknowledged: “I know I can still play Premier League football, and I am disappointed I haven’t played the amount of games I hoped to at Blackburn this season. But that is football.

“I definitely feel I can still offer a Premier League club something because I still feel I am good enough at that level. It may sound strange but I feel as though I’m ready for a new challenge.

“I played a few games at West Brom, got myself fit and really enjoyed playing a part in helping them get to the Premier League. It is a decent club and I was delighted to have been involved.

“There has been no contract offer at the moment from West Brom, but we have had initial talks.”
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/...reid-1.1028634
put em under pressure!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 7:44am
its good to see that he has options and hes hopefully getting back to fitness again
put em under pressure!
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 7:46am
Lads alot of yiz (not me) reckoned Duffer was finished............Stephen is still only 29, younger than Duffer.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic