Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steve Staunton

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 10:40am
I have always felt for Stan , the Irish job was way too big for him , if Bobby had been well he could have looked after him better but Stan was lost on the camara and as for questions will anyone ever forget when he said San Marino will  get better etc etc  Confused
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sponsored Links

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 10:46am
i am not saying he wasnt useless , or a terrible handler of the media ,

jaysis " you tell me "
or walking off making it the shortest interview ever of an irish manager

but an utter legend of a player for me and not even his eff up as manager can taint that ,

get over it lads !

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Eamo94 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 10:53am

I remember in an old “Road to (Insert Tournament Destination)” video I had as a kid, we were playing Lithuania away. There is clip of Stan marching up and down the tunnel, pushing players in the chest, shouting in their faces, "We don't get beat. We don't get f***ing beat."

I was only about 8, watching it in my sitting room, and he had me ready to wage war against the Lithuanians.

It’s exactly what Irish supporters want, then and now.

Legend of a player. Can’t believe he’s getting a job with Liverpool but good luck to him!

"I retire content that I have had the opportunity to play football for the greatest nation in the world." - Keith O'Neill
Ireland4ever View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 11:05am
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Originally posted by Ireland4ever Ireland4ever wrote:

Lets all sl*g a man who gave EVERYTHING for his countryConfused

+ Took a big payout after a dismal spell in charge. Didnt have the honesty to go when the fans wanted him out.

Can never respect the man after that.

Absolute garbage
Like Milla said, he was sacked under contract. As in any other job in the world he is entitled to a pay out.

Fans do not have, and rightly so, the power to get rid of any manager

But thats the thing, its not like any other job in the world.  He got the chance to manage his national team, a great privilege. He tried it, he plainly wasnt up to the task. Instead of going with some dignity he looked to bleed the organisation for money they could have invested in the next young steve staunton.

If Trap were to be sacked mid contract i would not hold it against him looking for the remainder, its a job to him, but it shouldnt be the same for people getting the privilege to manage their own country.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 11:08am

he looked to bleed the organisation for money

no , no way I4E , he just looked to get paid out money to which he was entitled , you are taking it way too far in my opinion.

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 11:09am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

he looked to bleed the organisation for money

no , no way I4E , he just looked to get paid out money to which he was entitled , you are taking it way too far in my opinion.

Just my opinion, we'll agree to disagree!Thumbs Up
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 11:22am
fair enough Thumbs Up
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 11:23am
I would always wish Stan well (I did so at the airport last year when we were waiting at the same gate for a UK flight) and absolutely was due the pay out he got if the FAI were thick enough to give him the contract he got.

He still comes out with deluded rubbish though about his time as Irish Manager, I read today "my record speaks for itself".  Yes it does Stan, one of the worst in recent years, he was a disaster as Gaffer.  That's the sort of comment that drove me fookin DEMENTED when he spoke about "progress" after we threw away 2 points in Bratislava and lost in Prague and when he hailed our "team spirit" after we got that injury time winner away to San Marino.  He still talks utter nonsense regarding his time as our Gaffer and stuff like " my record speaks for itself" just leaves him open to more ridicule.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Justice No. 1 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justice No. 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 11:23am
Look, if your looking for someone to blame I4E, blame the people who appointed him because he was the cheapest available option at the time. If they offered you the job would you turn it down ? I know I wouldn't. Of course he wasn't even management material but hardly his fault. He tried his best and then felt he got shafted by his employers so held out for his money that was due on his contract and quite rightly so. it makes no difference whatsoever that he's Irish and an ex player. A Contract is a legally binding agreement which has to be honoured in football if the the employer decides to terminate it unless the termination is for a reason of gross misconduct.
Having said that people really need to remember him for the player he was as that was 90% per cent of his Irish career contribution rather than one unsuccessful campaign as a manager. If anyone should have been fired after that, it should have been the appointees
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Justice No. 1 Justice No. 1 wrote:

Look, if your looking for someone to blame I4E, blame the people who appointed him because he was the cheapest available option at the time. If they offered you the job would you turn it down ? I know I wouldn't. Of course he wasn't even management material but hardly his fault. He tried his best and then felt he got shafted by his employers so held out for his money that was due on his contract and quite rightly so. it makes no difference whatsoever that he's Irish and an ex player. A Contract is a legally binding agreement which has to be honoured in football if the the employer decides to terminate it unless the termination is for a reason of gross misconduct.
Having said that people really need to remember him for the player he was as that was 90% per cent of his Irish career contribution rather than one unsuccessful campaign as a manager. If anyone should have been fired after that, it should have been the appointees

Clap
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 11:30am

How was he shafted ? it was a diastrous reign.

Nobody is saying he wasnt entitled to it as his contrct had been terminated but would of been better thought of if he had walked away with with a nominal amount as he clearly wasnt up to the task. dont think he is short of a few bob. As I4e indicated for an irishman its shouldnt be just a job
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 12:27pm

This foockin forum! I had a reply typed out and then i got the timeout error. AngryAngryAngryLOL
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 12:31pm
Terrible manager but it's not his fault he was given the job would you say no to managing Ireland??.  I wouldn't and I think alot of young managers would do the same.
He was a great servant for his country over 100 caps pretty pathetic how quick some are to forget that Thumbs DownThumbs Down.
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
McCourtsFenianArmy View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McCourtsFenianArmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 12:42pm
Would love to know the inside track on where it all went wrong. Stan obviously sat infront of a board/committee and impressed them sufficiently. Nobody actively goes out to appoint the worst manager possible. The FAI didnt do that with Stan and Celtic didnt set out to do that with Mowbray. But sometimes when things start to snowball disaster can unfold within months.

I actually thought after an initial ropey start we were starting to get it together with the wins over Wales, Slovakia etc. How would things have worked out for Stan had we held on in Bratislava that night?- we'd have had 4 games left in the group- on a high and 9pts may have got us a qualifier. All ifs and buts now but if we really had something to play for who knows how they might have panned out. We only lost 1 of those 4, albeit 3 draws.

Remember Robbie Keane on the Late Late show?- Stan seemed to at least have some senior backing within the dressingroom- hard to know if this was misplaced loyalty in a former team mate or what.

I think in the end 3 crucial things went against him
1) The obvious- results
2)His demeanor in defeat
3)The press/public

If you dont have at least 2 of them onside your in for a short stay in the hotseat.
BaileNuisBhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaileNuisBhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 1:49pm

Lets all sl*g a man who gave EVERYTHING for his countryConfused

+ Took a big payout after a dismal spell in charge. Didnt have the honesty to go when the fans wanted him out.

Can never respect the man after that.

he got a four year deal , why wouldnt he want to be paid out ?? that was delaneys fault and no one elses , stan should have been put on a one year rolling deal , its not like we beat off other clubs to sign him...

If this was a club then by all means hold out for what you can get, but this is his own national team. A non profit organisation, he effectively diverted money away from the grass roots football, the same set up that gave him his chance to earn the money he did. If he had any sort of decency he should have walked and not looked for a cent,  Kevin Keegan style. Have nothing but respect for the way he left the English set up.
Good shout. He was an embarrassment in everything he did as our manager. Media, tactics, player selection etc. Keegan knew he had taken England as far as he could and left with his head held high without taking a penny from The F.A, unlike Stan.
packiesglove View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 3:00pm

[QUOTE=The GerK]Lets all sl*g a man who gave EVERYTHING for his countryConfused

+

If this was a club then by all means hold out for what you can get, but this is his own national team. A non profit organisation, he effectively diverted money away from the grass roots football, the same set up that gave him his chance to earn the money he did. If he had any sort of decency he should have walked and not looked for a cent,  Kevin Keegan style. Have nothing but respect for the way he left the English set up.

keegan wass like a spoilt child. he quit at newcastle TWICE, when he never got his own way. with england, he quit in the dressing room. keegan never needed the dough, he spent 10 years in spain avoiding tax with all his bundesliga and english dosh. of all the players from his era, he was hardly living hand to mouth. bottom line is a contract should be paid up. 
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 3:23pm

I thought you would despise him since he played for Liverpool.

Gordon Strachan left Middlesbrough last year after he failed to progress the club in which he said he would do - he was entitled to approx 2 years worth of wages as that was how long his contract was - he never took the money.

Staunton was and still is a f**king embarrassment. So what he was a great player, listening to him on Sky or what ever is so cringeworthy. Stan needs to stand back and take a look at himself and admit he got it wrong.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
wrestler313 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrestler313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:15pm
Best of luck to Stan, bad timing with the Ireland job..legend for usThumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
  Share Topic