You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steve Staunton

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:11pm
I want SK to be a success but how long will he get?

Stans first 2 competitive games were a defeat. 1 nil v Germany and Cyprus.
I wouldn't want the World Cup qualifying to be effectively over by March. Possibly 3 games that month so hopefully we could get some of the lower pots out of the way and build some confidence. 
The dark side.. And the light
Sponsored Links

avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

I want SK to be a success but how long will he get?

Stans first 2 competitive games were a defeat. 1 nil v Germany and Cyprus.
I wouldn't want the World Cup qualifying to be effectively over by March. Possibly 3 games that month so hopefully we could get some of the lower pots out of the way and build some confidence. 

Cyprus were the 5th seeds and did us for 5!

But yes, he needs some handy fixtures early doors to keep the wolf from the door.

The Covid crisis reduce manager salary expectations going forward across the board, so a good replacement shouldn't be costing a fortune, certainly well south of 1mil.

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:15pm
Stan did have Keane, Duff, Given, O'Shea Finnan 5 excellent players in their prime.

Plus players like Carr, Kilbane, Dunne, Doyle etc

Edited by lassassinblanc - 18 Nov 2020 at 1:17pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:17pm
this is some top class revisionism.  

I reckon McAteer Ian Harte Gary Kelly are now posting.  

In fact aVfc is Aston villa football club.  Could it be Stan himself.  I reckon we have a scooby doo moment on our hands which is apt as he didn’t have a scooby doo of management. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Stan did have Keane, Duff, Given, O'Shea Finnan 5 excellent players in their prime.

Stop bring facts into this Lassie ffs 

Some amount of revisionist bollox from the Anti SK brigade. Ignoring the players that were at Stans disposal.  

I'd they're secretly hoping for a loss tonight

Edited by Denis Irwin - 18 Nov 2020 at 1:21pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:22pm
Our expectations were a lot higher with Stan took over, we had a fairly good squad that looking back on you would snap your hand off ya for it now. At the time, a top 2 was kind of seen as the measuring of success or failure but we were a distant 3rd and Cyprus took 4 points from us. San Marino nearly getting a result off us was seeing as just as embarrassing.  

Times have changed a lot and I think a similar set of results probably would buy you a second campaign 

Edited by t_rAndy - 18 Nov 2020 at 1:23pm
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Some amount of revisionist bollox from the Anti SK brigade. Ignoring the players that were at Stans disposal.  

Just tó clarify I'm pro Kenny. 

Despite results we've played well. As mcclean said though we need to capitalise on opponents mistakes which we aren't at the moment 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:27pm

Despite results we've played well. As mcclean said though we need to capitalise on opponents mistakes which we aren't at the moment 

Wasn't aimed at you lassie Thumbs Up
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:28pm

Wasn't aimed at you lassie Thumbs Up

Wink
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:37pm
No.

I always think the marker here is that in spite of finishing third, IIRC were were out of contention for qualifying with three rounds of games to go (two for us). Wales and Slovakia outscored us, and without Ireland's late goal in San Marino we would have finished joint 5th, and without Finnan's late goal in Dublin against Cyprus we would have finished 4th. 

Trappatoni was let go for a similar performance in 2013. But since the mid 1980s we always went into the last round of games with something to play for. This was an exception, and even with new and young players around, and a spine, the games against the likes of Cyprus raised enough questions.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:38pm
Maybe we are just unlucky with managers with the name Stephen / Steve

Edited by Claret Murph - 18 Nov 2020 at 1:39pm
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:39pm
[QUOTE=Claret Murph] Maybe we are just unlucky with managers with the name Stephen / Steve

Hang on as i look up Steveis
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Maybe we are just unlucky with managers with the name Stephen / Steve

Hang on as i look up Steveis

This one's free at the moment. Surprisingly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_McClaren
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 7:43pm
As bad as things are right now, it was far worst under Staunton. Stan had a far higher calibre of players to pick from where as now we are plainly lacking in players of the quality of Kevin Doyle, never mind Robbie Keane. 

Kenny’s earned the right to be Ireland boss with his track record in LOI and the U21s. Staunton was a complete novice with zero experience who go the job due to being a golfing buddy of John Delaney (allegedly). No comparison 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 12:38pm
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 2:56pm
I don't think people want to remember.
The dark side.. And the light
Deco79 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deco79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 3:12pm
Rather read about what a great player he was.
SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 8:33am
Staunton was some player for both club & country. He was elite level. Hate that he became this maligned figure because he was thrown in the manager role by that gobsh*te delaney. He should never have been offered the role.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>
  Share Topic