You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stephen Kenny

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 309310311312313 317>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by orourkeda orourkeda wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Sooo..... a 4-1 win.... We'd have taken that result before the game, right? 

Yes. But how much significance would you have attached to it?

The only significance I place on this is a good platform that we can build from.
Sponsored Links

Strazdas View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 8:29pm

Originally posted by orourkeda orourkeda wrote:

Sooo..... a 4-1 win.... We'd have taken that result before the game, right? 

Yes. But how much significance would you have attached to it?

The only significance I place on this is a good platform that we can build from.

On paper, yes but we don't want to crash to yet another defeat in Hungary. That would really be 'back to square one' stuff, we've lost too many matches as it is.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 8:36pm
A terrible first half performance. Flat, disorganised and inept. A shocker of a goal to concede. The scoreline did flatter us in the end as Andorra's fitness levels plummeted after 70minutes or so. I think any half decent team hammers us in the first 60 minutes. Some may cling to this result as some sort of 'proof' we are moving in the right direction. Me, I am more concerned with the level of performance which quite simply was not anywhere near acceptable for 60 minutes. I saw little cohesion and even less chemistry or creativity. I have no idea what we have worked on in training as it isn't evident during the games. I don't see us going anywhere under Kenny which is unfortunate. I am worried at what Portugal might do to us. That has 4/5-0 written all over it.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
aviva8 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 8:53pm
Delighted for parrot and I hope he really kick on same for knight but please kenny dont every player curtis(my god what a sitter he missed) or collins again. At best mcclean and hourihane are ok to come on for 10- 20 minutes the odd time but that it. 
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 9:08pm
This forum is toxic and abuse is way ott.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Dano View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 9:54pm
What results do we think he needs to stay in the job past the current campaign? 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 10:06pm
A draw at home to Serbia, two creditable performances against Portugal and two wins from the three games against Azerbaijan and Luxembourg might do it. That's a low bar to set but should be enough to finish third in the group and the FAI are skint which works in his favour. I can't see him winning even two group games in the autumn based on what we've seen up to now though.
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by Dano Dano wrote:

two or three wins against the lower seeds, don't get hammered against Portugal* and give the Serbs another rattle.. it's more about getting the young players bedded in - we're effectively taking a half-decent U21s team and playing them as our full team. there's going to be bad days - better off accepting that and enjoying watching them grow into it. 

*just for reference, a team needs to win by 4+ goals for it to be a hammering in my book, 2&3 is well-beaten, and 1 is a narrow defeat... 
Strazdas View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 11:24pm

Any defeats to anyone other than Portugal would be unacceptable IMO and would leave him in trouble.
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 11:27pm
Happy for him. 
I think he could do with some coaching on interviews.
doherty View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Book early to avoid disappointment

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 11:37pm
Hes fine just the way he is. Just needs a glass of water only thing i would say. 
I love beer gardens
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Any defeats to anyone other than Portugal would be unacceptable IMO and would leave him in trouble.

LOL
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 9:17am
So good to let the dust settle after a game before posting at times and this is one of them .

Now i did think the team looked as good as we could have put out on the night , now as for the game well we never really got behind them and king of looked out of place in the first half . I did think Knight did well and Collins should have scored but the first 45 minutes just passed us by .
The 2nd half was the same until they scored now who was marking yer man is a good question . Then we came to life a bit , you have to be happy with Parrot scoring a couple i have to say . Yep the legs were gone from Andorra but they played well up until the last 20 minutes , hey was hoping we should have pushed more forward at the end and score another one or two but will take 4 goals .

Like i say end of season game Kenny takes a win from it and we move on , I think like all of us the Hungary game will see us on the back foot but if we can get a result it will be something to build on .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 3:58am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Hes fine just the way he is. Just needs a glass of water only thing i would say. 

He needs more than a drink of water. His interviews are tough to watch. He has passion and knows what he'd like to say but a bit of coaching there be no harm. These days people expected the polished news conference and its a huge part of being a modern manager. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 11:19pm
Was delighted for him. He actually was way more relaxed in his interview actually was good to hear him rally the fans ahead of the qualifiers. 

Left foot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 3:20pm
Kenny has introduced a lot of players into the senior team and kept a good few of the more experienced players too.

I wonder if he's got a clearer picture on what his first team will be? 

Hes played hourihane in a holding midfield role for most of his games and I can't say it's been highly successful. I think if hourihane plays he's got to play more advanced.

Hes got a good headache with keepers now.

Oshea and Egan seem to be the preferred centre back pairing I would think

Knight seems to be preferred too in midfield.

Up front is not very clear. Idah? Maybe parrott now? And then you have Robinson and Connolly.

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 9:29pm
Jaysus I never realised it was cardiac arrest that had kept him in Sweden that time for a 'medical situation'.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 9:48pm
Listening to Kenny on OTB.  

I didn't realize how serious it was when he had his heart problem that time. An excellent listen.  Clap

The interview was very friendly tonight but he was asked a half probing question on the 45 minute mark off the interview regarding 'playing out from the back' and the criticism from Johnny Giles.  Kenny seems to get a bit animated and accelerates his speech and he comes across even more defensive at 48 minutes in. He's arguably providing a lot of excuses even taking into account all the things that have gone against him. 

I think TOD went easy on him after the Luxembourg defeat in a way he wouldn't afford Trap or O'Neill in similar circumstances. He could see how Kenny was stressed and ended the interview with a "well done" (if I remember correctly) which was a sympathetic action and arguably not professional when he deserved scrutiny tbh. 

I know his media skills on here are regularly criticized but I never cared too much on how he speaks in press conferences tbh. I will say though there seems to be a bit of a pattern in that he's showing that he's clearly stressed when he's asked any sort of reasonable probing question especially given the circumstances of our results under him. 

I don't want to be writing his obituary but I do feel  his greatest achievement with the Irish national team will probably be off the pitch than on it with a greater link with our underage teams and progression into the senior squad. He was already given roughly 10-15 odd players their debut since he took over and if he's not managing Ireland past the 2024 Euro qualifiers, a new manager might reap the benefits with a team that Kenny gave their debuts too. 

I genuinely fear for him on a personal level if things don't improve with the team. You can see how 
much it means to him more so than some of our previous and more successful managers when you hear how agitated he is on the OTB interview.

The summer camp looks to have been a real positive thing and a strong 3rd spot finish in our WC qualifying group would be a huge boost for him going into next year's Nations League and Euro 2024  qualifiers. 

If we finish in 4th spot, along with the Luxembourg home defeat, it'll be psychological hammer blow that Kenny may not survive going into the next campaign. 

That's how you fight loneliness,
You laugh at every joke,
Drag your blanket blindly,
Fill your heart with smoke,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 309310311312313 317>
  Share Topic