You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 735>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

I’d like the FAI to get Stephen involved in the Irish set up.

Obviously Mick will bring his own No2 but should the FAI get Kenny on board in some capacity so he can be groomed to be the next Ireland manager - a bit of forward planning.

After all the publicity I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kenny move to a bigger club than Dundalk in the near future.

+1
I understand it would have been a big step up for Kenny and without friendlies etc. maybe it wasn't the best time as qualfying for 2020 would be a big thing for our country.

I do still believe in the dream of having a fully linked youth and senior team football philosophy and there should be a head of coaching overseeing it who maybe also be U21 manager with a view that he can become the senior team manager at some point. 
Maybe it's Kenny, maybe Carsley. Maybe someone not even Irish but just best suited for role. Either way, I think the FAI should take the examples of Belgium and England and look to copy similar. You can be sure all the other associations are doing the same. We don't want to fall even further behind!

Edited by t_rAndy - 24 Nov 2018 at 11:35am
Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Guppy Guppy wrote:

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

I'm not sure I buy the "inexperienced" line. He's 47 years old and has been managing for the last 21 years.

Exactly how much experience is he supposed to get under his belt before he becomes eligible for the Ireland job?

That’s easy to answer. Manage outside of Ireland. The league is a pathetic standard with attendances lower than GAA or rugby. The pressure isn’t there. He’s never had the pressure to success of a huge club Never mind country.

He’s perfect for the u21 role, not senior. 

Do you think Liam Kelly, Harry Arter, Cyrus Christie, Scott Hogan, Callum Robinson, David McGoldrick, Declan Rice have a clue who Stephen Kenny is? They’ll quite literally go, who’s this lad. Managed in Ireland? So what?

That’s the reality, simple as that. You need to respect the gaffer. Mick appeals to the English lads, who make up the core of our team. We need Kelly, we need Crowley we need Rice. We don’t need Stephen Kenny. 

Stephen Kenny manages Dundalk, there’s villages in England bigger then Dundalk. It’s a different level of expectation which Mick has handled his entire career, bringing Wolves up, keeping a non funded Ipswich team in the Championship each season. Stephen Kenny went to Scotland, got relegated and left. He’s another Pat Fenlon essentially. Only Fenlon managed a large club in Scotland. You could argue Fenlon has more experience for tbe job.

Actually. The grass roots stuff is nonsense. We face an issue in Ireland and it’ll always be there, no matter how good we make the LOI. Players at 16/17/18 will continue to flood through the gates to English youth academies. Very few want to stick it out with Finn Harps. You all need to get some reality here. Football is the third place sports organisation in the country now. We have, and will to an extend always rely on non Irish born players to declare for Ireland. Look at Jacks teams, we need that again. 
Mick the same, since Mick left we lost the ability to get more and more to declare we’ve lost an absolute tone. Mark Noble being one who I’ve alwahs believed Mick would of got on board.

Don’t disregard how important it’ll be have an English born backroom team (Mick-Terry Connor) to get dual citizenship lads to declare. Hopefully Liam Kelly, Crowley and Rice are available for March. 

We should strive to be able to stand on our own two feet and developer out own players and not rely on other jurisdictions to do that. 
The child prodigies will still go off to England I'm sure but for the rest we can do so much better in this country to help young footballers reach their potential in this country. Maybe they get a move to a better league on the back of it. 
To help people reach their potential you need give them the right platform and that is facilities, coaching, contact hours and competition. Football is seriously lacking in these areas. That's the underlying problem wrong with football and it's much bigger than any manager or coach we could hire in the short term. It will get worse if we don't make a complete overhaul of system as more and more people looking to the GAA and rugby. 
Kenny has not managed at the top level but he buys into the need that we need to change the philosophy. I think that's why people were excited about him potentially coming on board as maybe its one step closer.to yhr dream. Whereas Mick feels like more of the same  
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

I'm not sure I buy the "inexperienced" line. He's 47 years old and has been managing for the last 21 years.

Exactly how much experience is he supposed to get under his belt before he becomes eligible for the Ireland job?

That’s easy to answer. Manage outside of Ireland. The league is a pathetic standard with attendances lower than GAA or rugby. The pressure isn’t there. He’s never had the pressure to success of a huge club Never mind country.

Do you think Liam Kelly, Harry Arter, Cyrus Christie, Scott Hogan, Callum Robinson, David McGoldrick, Declan Rice have a clue who Stephen Kenny is? They’ll quite literally go, who’s this lad. Managed in Ireland? So what?

That’s the reality, simple as that. You need to respect the gaffer. Mick appeals to the English lads, who make up the core of our team. We need Kelly, we need Crowley we need Rice. We don’t need Stephen Kenny. 

Stephen Kenny manages Dundalk, there’s villages in England bigger then Dundalk. It’s a different level of expectation which Mick has handled his entire career, bringing Wolves up, keeping a non funded Ipswich team in the Championship each season. Stephen Kenny went to Scotland, got relegated and left. He’s another Pat Fenlon essentially. Only Fenlon managed a large club in Scotland. You could argue Fenlon has more experience for tbe job.

Actually. The grass roots stuff is nonsense. We face an issue in Ireland and it’ll always be there, no matter how good we make the LOI. Players at 16/17/18 will continue to flood through the gates to English youth academies. Very few want to stick it out with Finn Harps. You all need to get some reality here. Football is the third place sports organisation in the country now. We have, and will to an extend always rely on non Irish born players to declare for Ireland. Look at Jacks teams, we need that again. 
Mick the same, since Mick left we lost the ability to get more and more to declare we’ve lost an absolute tone. Mark Noble being one who I’ve alwahs believed Mick would of got on board.

Don’t disregard how important it’ll be have an English born backroom team (Mick-Terry Connor) to get dual citizenship lads to declare. Hopefully Liam Kelly, Crowley and Rice are available for March. 
This is literally one of the worst posts I’ve read on here ever LOL
WTF has GAA attendances got to do with anything?
Mark Noble didn’t declare for us because he is English, and to say Mick would’ve got him on board is ridiculous. 
You clearly no f**k all about Stephen Kenny so please don’t bother with the history lesson. 
And then bring Bundee Ake, CJ Stander and incorrect LOI attendance figures into it LOLLOLLOL All while supporting the FAI board!! 

Brilliant gibberish! I am sure there was a point in there somewhere!
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:16pm
Kenny had never managed near the required level and was sacked from Rovers, Bohs and Dunfermline.

cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Kenny had never managed near the required level and was sacked from Rovers, Bohs and Dunfermline.

Got Longford Town, promoted, to a cup final and to the UEFA Cup. Longford!

Smashing job at Derry and Bohs, shafted by Rovers and took Fundalk from relegation battles to the team they are today. 

Edited by cardwizzard - 24 Nov 2018 at 12:32pm
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:38pm

English lads do not make up ''the core of our team''

Liam Kelly is a player struggling to nail down a place in the Championship's bottom team and has declined to be called up on more than one occasion. Given that the actual Mick McCarthy would have swam over to Dublin to play for us, I'm not sure that his attitude will be greatly appreciated, nor do I see Mick (a fella who left his father's deathbed to manage us in a game) doing an awful lot of chasing these lads. In short, I don't think the manager we appointed is the same Mick that exists in your head. 

Cyrus Christie is our 3rd best right back, and despite what MON thinks, not a midfielder. A useful squad player in the event of injuries to Coleman or Doherty. 

Scott Hogan has done fcuk all for either club or Ireland and any progress he makes from here on in, or doesn't make, is more down to Dean Smith than anyone else. He is not a core member of anything at the moment. 

Harry Arter has played well in one half of a competitive game for us (2nd half, Austria away) and has done nothing since to suggest he can be an important player for us. Eddie Howe decided he wasn't good enough to be a part of what he's doing at Bournemouth either, and Eddie's judgement seems to generally be sound. 

Declan Rice- aye, he will be swayed away from England because we've appointed a manager who kept Ipswich up last year, that's the type of thing that impresses him. I'd suggest that his decision will have little to do with the manager one way or another, though Mick is welcome to the credit if he does re-appear. 

Dan Crowley may or may not be good enough, at the minute he is just a ybig cause celebre and an unknown to the football world in general. Whether he ever plays for us or not, tis unlikely he will ever hit the heights of the greatness predicted for him by assorted granny rule obsessives on this forum. 

Callum Robinson does look promising and will have a role to play, and McGoldrick will probably return. That only tells us we have an issue with strikers more than anything else, both are decent championship strikers and nothing more than that. 

Your last incarnations were banned for repeated trolling, continue on with this obvious bullsh*t and your latest one will join them. Won't be saying it again, so up to yerself after that. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
saintjoey View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintjoey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:40pm

This post is bizarre.

Anyway shame for Kenny but I think micks the right choice this time to at least try hit the ground running we have to give our best shot of qualifying for this one with us potentially having a couple of home games and there's no time to implement a completely new style as our next game is a qualifier.

One things for sure if Kenny carries on doing what hes doing and cracks Europe groups again with dundalk then he has to get it whenever micks finished up 
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by saintjoey saintjoey wrote:

Anyway shame for Kenny but I think micks the right choice this time to at least try hit the ground running we have to give our best shot of qualifying for this one with us potentially having a couple of home games and there's no time to implement a completely new style as our next game is a qualifier.

One things for sure if Kenny carries on doing what hes doing and cracks Europe groups again with dundalk then he has to get it whenever micks finished up 

I think Stephen's time will come. The very fact that nearly everyone was openly discussing him as the next Ireland manager this week shows how high his stock is and how well regarded he is. if he can keep the Dundalk thing going, he may well be the automatic choice next time.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:53pm

Originally posted by saintjoey saintjoey wrote:

I think Stephen's time will come. The very fact that nearly everyone was openly discussing him as the next Ireland manager this week shows how high his stock is and how well regarded he is. if he can keep the Dundalk thing going, he may well be the automatic choice next time.

Absolutely.

He's still a very young manager.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:57pm
Not disappointed Kenny didn't get it. I hope he can be a future manager for us
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Starting to worry about most on here. Have we all not just watched a dinosaur in charge with sh*te football. So why do we want it again? Mick has been at Ipswich struggling. Kenny has been reinventing Dundalk at home and in Europe and making people say who are Dundalk. Who the f**k are Ipswich. There is not 1 club chasing Yorkshire Mick. Yes he made a World Cup but how many tournaments did he f**k up I'm qualifying. 

Kenny plays good football - Mick doesn't 

If we don't offer Mick the job, is there a massive queue to get him?

Kenny has worked miracles with nearly all the teams he has managed. And big Sam. FFS - lay off the gear 

You should go back and watch one of the games from 2002 World Cup.

It's a bit of a shock as I watched one last year.

I would advise any touting McCarthy to watch the '02 WC games. Then watch the horror stuff under him - '04 qualifying Russia and Switzerland. '00 qualifying Serbia away, Croatia away, Macedonia away, Turkey away (there's a common thread there somewhere). '98 qualifying. Iceland (shudders) Lithuania (shudders some more) Belgium home WC playoff (incredible shudder).

The rose tinted look at McCarthys stint with Ireland before is a sight to behold. It's clear as day that most either 1. don't remember most games or, 2. are too young to remember most games (which is obviously no fault of their own) or, 3. the worst of the lot - they are choosing to forget the amount of horrendous nights we had under McCarthy because of that one quality campaign we had, and their disciple like love of all things Mick. Scary reading on this forum the last few days.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:00pm

Just highlighting the parts of your post that are utter garbage.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:00pm
Hans - who would you have as our manager?

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:03pm
Your talking about games from over 20 years ago. And it was those results and performances that cost McCarthy his job.

We could look no further than Kenny's recent EL game when they were mauled 4-0 at home?

There are pros and cons for every manager to be honest.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Bar the top 4/5 managers in the world, every manager gets sacked. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Just highlighting the parts of your post that are utter garbage.
LOL
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:06pm
LOL
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:06pm
Moleman LOL
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 735>
  Share Topic