You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 735>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 6:38pm
Just reading on Arter, it does look like he told Mick he'd be available if needed. 
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Confirms Arter and McCarthy are available.

Quite why Mick decided to marginalise those players, as well as Long, is hard to fathom.

Both Arter and McCarthy chose to step away.

Exactly. Of all the sticks to beat Mick with, this is hardly one of them. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 10:53pm
Arter and McCarthy's commitment issues have been debated to death on here. At the very least they were open to question at one stage or another given the amount of pull-outs from both players over the years for one reason or another. 

That's in the past and it's a new slate. 

I'm delighted to have them both back as midfield is problematic area for us. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 7:14pm
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 7:27pm
The idea that he's not wedded to a system is great. His willingness to evolve and adapt would give you huge encouragement.

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I like his attitude. He sounds really confident....the first manager we've had in a very long time who doesn't do negativity.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 8:12pm
We have been come accustomed to the opposite and so have the players. Do you think Kenny would be happy with a draw in Georgia? I fcking hope not.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 8:59pm
I hear that there could be drawing of lots if the game is abandoned.  I can almost hear Mick now ''if you had've offered me the chance to draw lotsbefore the group started I'd have bit your hand off''
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

We have been come accustomed to the opposite and so have the players. Do you think Kenny would be happy with a draw in Georgia? I fcking hope not.

Going by that interview, I'd say we will never hear those horrible and infamous words "I'd take a point now if you offered it to me" pass his lips.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 9:38pm
LOL
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I hear that there could be drawing of lots if the game is abandoned.  I can almost hear Mick now ''if you had've offered me the chance to draw lotsbefore the group started I'd have bit your hand off''

LOLLOLLOL
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 10:03pm
The likes of Georgia were always made look better than they were due to sitting back and just letting them play. Very few teams outside the top 20 in world football don't buckle when you press them. Press them high and press them with sustained intensity.

They resort to hitting it long. Duffy, thanks very much!

One thing for sure, we will impose our game on the opposition, not the other way. Will be proactive and not reactive tactics. Really looking forward to it. 
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 10:15pm

LOL
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

The likes of Georgia were always made look better than they were due to sitting back and just letting them play. Very few teams outside the top 20 in world football don't buckle when you press them. Press them high and press them with sustained intensity.

One thing for sure, we will impose our game on the opposition, not the other way. Will be proactive and not reactive tactics. Really looking forward to it. 

Do you think any opposition team we play will not be trying to do the exact same thing to us? 

We should not be underestimating Bulgaria even if they've been poor in recent years. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 10:36pm

What really encouraged me was his response before the Italy game in Dublin arguably the best U21 side in Europe atm (certainly top 3) we will be expecting to win. After the interview then basically said he had mixed emotions as while we drew with a very good side we were the better team and left it behind us. 

Also Sweden 1-0 down at home a must win game he didn’t change tack he hauled off Molumby his talisman (as he’s called him many times) put on Ronan and doubled down on his style run them over. 

That’s the first game that really made me think god I can’t wait for this man. Not even the fact we won it 4-1 it was the way he doubled down at half time in a pressure situation. 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

What really encouraged me was his response before the Italy game in Dublin arguably the best U21 side in Europe atm (certainly top 3) we will be expecting to win. After the interview then basically said he had mixed emotions as while we drew with a very good side we were the better team and left it behind us. 

Also Sweden 1-0 down at home a must win game he didn’t change tack he hauled off Molumby his talisman (as he’s called him many times) put on Ronan and doubled down on his style run them over. 

That’s the first game that really made me think god I can’t wait for this man. Not even the fact we won it 4-1 it was the way he doubled down at half time in a pressure situation. 

Yeah, that was inspirational.
Although I think Molumby was carrying a knock and I don't know why Ronan wasn't on from the start as he had played very well in every other game.

In fact we went behind in both Sweden games and came back not just to sneak the wins, but convincingly.

Watching his 21's was like watching a different sport to the seniors.
And I never got the impression it was because we had wonderkid players.  Yes, they were/are good but they had a clear plan and executed it.

How great it will be to have a fckin gameplan Clap

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 11:01pm
For me, when Parrott got the 3rd away against Sweden. Every Irish team the last 10 years would have retreated when we went 2-1 up. The idea that we have the conviction to finish a team off. So badly needed in an Irish team. 
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Do you think any opposition team we play will not be trying to do the exact same thing to us? 

We should not be underestimating Bulgaria even if they've been poor in recent years. 

Problem for us is that we never really attacked with conviction under MON or McCarthy. We'd have a good ten or fifteen minute spell and then drift out of the game again : there always seemed to be an underlying fear when we played.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Yeah, that was inspirational.
Although I think Molumby was carrying a knock and I don't know why Ronan wasn't on from the start as he had played very well in every other game.

In fact we went behind in both Sweden games and came back not just to sneak the wins, but convincingly.

Watching his 21's was like watching a different sport to the seniors.
And I never got the impression it was because we had wonderkid players.  Yes, they were/are good but they had a clear plan and executed it.

How great it will be to have a fckin gameplan Clap

We had a decent batch of players but like you say he had them drilled to a tee and we are in arguably the toughest Qualification group of the lot (reasonable argument if you look at the groups) as 4th seeds and bar that disaster in Iceland on that astro turf pitch on a wind tunnel we have pretty much gone toe to toe with Italy arguably the best 21s side in Europe. 

These 2 games in hand are Sweden as well not a million to one they will drop points there either. Even if Italy hammer us away we will still be in a spot beat Iceland at home and Luxembourg we will qualify as runners up as 22 points should put us in the top 5.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 735>
  Share Topic