Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 530531532533534 735>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 11:26pm
Stephen Kenny's To Do List for Malta Game:

1. Send Hendrick home.
2. Send Hendrick home.
3. Re-read 1 & 2
4. Bazunu low on form and confidence, Kelleher deserves a go now as number 1.
5. Call up Hodge and Coventry and Szmodics and send Brady, Hendrick and O'Dowda home
6. Make substitutions earlier and nip problems in the bud. 
7. Delete Conor Hourihane's number from your phone.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Greener92 Greener92 wrote:

Eamonn Dunphy on the Late late show soon. It will be interesting to hear what he says about SK after the last few results 

Not a single mention Confused
Sheedy11 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheedy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 11:39pm
Eamonn spoke well.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 12:59am
Who gives a f**k what Eamon Dunphy thinks.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 2:56am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Stephen Kenny's To Do List for Malta Game:

1. Send Hendrick home.
2. Send Hendrick home.
3. Re-read 1 & 2
4. Bazunu low on form and confidence, Kelleher deserves a go now as number 1.
5. Call up Hodge and Coventry and Szmodics and send Brady, Hendrick and O'Dowda home
6. Make substitutions earlier and nip problems in the bud. 
7. Delete Conor Hourihane's number from your phone.

Humorous and also bang-on Clap
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 3:52pm
Didi Hamann on Kenny, saying that Kenny has only ever won a game when it doesn't really matter. He has not won a game when it really mattered.

It's a fairly appalling record.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 9:10pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 6:56pm
Morocco got a draw in 120+ minutes with Spain with 23% possession and beat Portugal with only 26% possession in 90 minutes. I really wish Kenny would take some lessons from a pragmatic low block approach against these stronger teams. 

In Kenny's defence I thought we were excellent in the two games against Portugal and deserved a lot more than 1 point from those playing with his open style. Portugal underestimating us and the group being over was probably a factor too. Pushing up and playing too open when France have Mbappe and Dembele up front and out wide is going to be disastrous. 

This might not be the most popular view on here but  I think we'd have had a better chance of getting results against France and The Netherlands and being more competitive in our group under Michael O'Neill and his more pragmatic approach than I do under Kenny tbh.

Expectations are rock bottom given how our opening two games will probably have us out of the reckoning for second spot but above anything I genuinely hope Kenny gets a landmark win for not just Ireland but himself. It would be more likely against the Dutch than France. Even if its his last campaign that he gets a real scalp against a top side. 

Roll on March 2023!

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2022 at 1:08am
Morocco's 1st choice defence and goalkeeper are all levels above what we have
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2022 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Morocco got a draw in 120+ minutes with Spain with 23% possession and beat Portugal with only 26% possession in 90 minutes. I really wish Kenny would take some lessons from a pragmatic low block approach against these stronger teams. 

In Kenny's defence I thought we were excellent in the two games against Portugal and deserved a lot more than 1 point from those playing with his open style. Portugal underestimating us and the group being over was probably a factor too. Pushing up and playing too open when France have Mbappe and Dembele up front and out wide is going to be disastrous. 

This might not be the most popular view on here but  I think we'd have had a better chance of getting results against France and The Netherlands and being more competitive in our group under Michael O'Neill and his more pragmatic approach than I do under Kenny tbh.

Expectations are rock bottom given how our opening two games will probably have us out of the reckoning for second spot but above anything I genuinely hope Kenny gets a landmark win for not just Ireland but himself. It would be more likely against the Dutch than France. Even if its his last campaign that he gets a real scalp against a top side. 

Roll on March 2023!

Morocco have good players, they have Ziyech ffs. Every one of our players are terrible so there's no point comparing. 
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2022 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Roll on March 2023!

Morocco have good players, they have Ziyech ffs. Every one of our players are terrible so there's no point comparing. 

Morocco are in the semi-finals of the world cup. I highly doubt the poster is advocating us reaching those levels. Morocco have managed though to get the best out of their players and have done it playing a brand of football based around a strong defence and being hard to beat. There are many ways to be successful playing football- 'playing the right way' whatever that means is not always the winning way. 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Nax View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2022 at 10:41pm
I was very much of the opinion that Kenny could implement a much easier on the eye style of football. Looking back I think International football gives you too short a window to change things drastically. Most of our players play in the championship a league known for being physical and direct. 3-4 training sessions before games is not going to be enough to switch to the complete opposite style when this is how they have been playing week in week out for years. Maybe there are lessons to take from the performances of both Saudi and Morrocco specifically in this tournament. Maybe an international manager should always adapt to whats at his disposal and use those strengths regardless of wether its easy on the eye or not.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 12:59am
I think we should copy Australia's style, or Tunisia but only in the game they played against  France, or South Korea's not the brazil one the other one v Portugal. 

Actually the Japanese impressed me against Croatia that's the way forward and backwards and sideways too
It would damage this forums' reputation
SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 2:16am
cringe
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 2:31am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

I think we should copy Australia's style, or Tunisia but only in the game they played against  France, or South Korea's not the brazil one the other one v Portugal. 

Actually the Japanese impressed me against Croatia that's the way forward and backwards and sideways too
Et tu, Artie?
Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 5:20am
When all is said and done we should play to our strengths, we should prioritize winning over losing, fielding our strongest 11 while growing a deep bench of talent, ensuring seamless transitions going forward, and switching to the metric system in defence. At the end of the day we're great for a small country and keeping it tight at the back we'll maximise returns on our emotional investment.

Edited by Bukowski - 12 Dec 2022 at 5:34am
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 7:48am
We should copy winning teams but only when they win.  If they lose we should get rid of those tactics.  I hope Kenny is watching.  Croatia keep the football for fun and have got to a Demi
Final of the World Cup and have a small population.  We should replicate that and mix it with Morocco’s style of not having the ball.  Surely a hybrid of both will lead us to glory. If only we had a manager who was as smart as I am for spotting this.  I know we have sh*t players but hey that doesn’t matter surely.  
AKA pedantic kunt
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 8:49am
When your players are sh*t...you need a manager who is not even sh*tter!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 530531532533534 735>
  Share Topic