You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 735>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I find it bizarre clubs calling for Kenny to be manager. I have never seen the likes.  I have to say its just an attempt to usurp the Dundalk gravy train.

Just looking for a bit of media attention for a few hours.
Sponsored Links

El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by El_nino El_nino wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

No doubt Kenny has done well with Dundalk. But I don’t buy this “he deserves a go at the top job”at all. 

This.

If you are looking solely on what both candidates have achieved recently Micks achievements are much much greater than Kennys IMO.  No silverware granted but the job he did at Ipswich was nothing short of amazing considering the financial restrictions he was under.  Look at the state they are in now.  Regardless of what peoples perception is on his style of football he is the standout candidate of the two by quite a distance.  Personally i'd be looking further afield and taking a bit more time over the decision but if it is purely down to these two then it's Mick for me.

Taking absolutely nothing away from Kenny and the fantastic work he has done at domestic level but he wouldn't be my choice for this job just yet.

Is keeping Ipswich in the Championship really better than getting Dundalk (who were in the gutter when he took over) to the group stages of the UEFA Cup? I'm not sure I'd concur with that. Mick did a good, solid job with Ipswich; but what Kenny has done with Dundalk is incredible.

I think you are doing McCarthy a bit of disservice by saying he just kept Ipswich in the Championship. He did so comfortably and had them finishing top half in 4 of his seasons and finishing in the playoffs once. They finished 12th, 9th, 6th, 7th and 15th during his time in charge.  15th being the lowest finish in his first season and if memory serves me right he took over mid way through that season when Ipswich hadn't won a game in a long time and were in a bad state (or in the gutter!).  He had nothing to spend or very little to spend during his time in charge.

Again i am certainly not rubbishing Kennys recent achievements with Dundalk far from it but IMO i think McCarthys at Ipswich over the 5 year period he was in charge are better at a higher level.  i think the general consensus is that the championship is a remarkably competitive league.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Tony Cousins Tony Cousins wrote:

Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Anyone who thinks Stephen Kenny is a better option than McCarthy or Allardyce doesn’t understand football. 

I get the sentiment among LOI fans but that’s the equivalent of championing a foreigner who managed Sparta Prague and NEC Breda. 

McCarthy has been tried and failed. Allardyce is a corrupt fat f**k.

How did McCarthy fail exactly ? 

He was one of 2 managers who got us to a World Cup in 88 years of trying. Some of yis need a reality check. Getting to a World Cup is the only success we will ever achieve.

We had a good squad at the time, for a weak world cup. The chance was there to do well. Then he alienated the best player we had and didn't even notice the opposition had less players than us.

I look forward to the response to this. The amount of times McCarthy made a balls of things while in charge of Ireland was massive, but his disciples will not have a bad word said about him.

Kennys last few years in management are simply light years ahead of what McCarthy has achieved. I'm not for one second saying Kenny is the only option for the job, there are hundreds of great coaches out there if the FAI did their homework.

I'd so far as to say that those calling for McCarthy over Kenny don't know anything about football. See, we can all do that.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:11pm
I'm not advocating Kenny by any means, I think the interview highlighted some of the doubts I have about him, but there is no comparison between what Kenny achieved and Pat Fenton. 
Pat Fenlon won his league titles with the biggest budget in the league, when Kenny took over Dundalk they had just stayed in the league. He didn't just win a few titles, he took a provincial town club, admittedly one with a great LOI history, from hopping between the divisions to being the biggest club in the country within a few years, that is without mentioning Europe. 
The reason the league is a two horse race is because of Kenny. 
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:14pm
I’m not sure I want SK to get it just yet, I’ve a feeling it’s all about to go tits up with I’ll duce dragged kicking and screaming out of office and our brilliantly talented playing staff will only accept a huuuuge presence like Magical Mick(according to that ballsack kilbane anyway).they couldn’t accept a manager who only managed Europa league ffs , champions league or nothing!!
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I'm not advocating Kenny by any means, I think the interview highlighted some of the doubts I have about him, but there is no comparison between what Kenny achieved and Pat Fenton. 
Pat Fenlon won his league titles with the biggest budget in the league, when Kenny took over Dundalk they had just stayed in the league. He didn't just win a few titles, he took a provincial town club, admittedly one with a great LOI history, from hopping between the divisions to being the biggest club in the country within a few years, that is without mentioning Europe. 

And Bradser.......
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:25pm

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

No doubt Kenny has done well with Dundalk. But I don’t buy this “he deserves a go at the top job”at all. 

This.

If you are looking solely on what both candidates have achieved recently Micks achievements are much much greater than Kennys IMO.  No silverware granted but the job he did at Ipswich was nothing short of amazing considering the financial restrictions he was under.  Look at the state they are in now.  Regardless of what peoples perception is on his style of football he is the standout candidate of the two by quite a distance.  Personally i'd be looking further afield and taking a bit more time over the decision but if it is purely down to these two then it's Mick for me.

Taking absolutely nothing away from Kenny and the fantastic work he has done at domestic level but he wouldn't be my choice for this job just yet.

Is keeping Ipswich in the Championship really better than getting Dundalk (who were in the gutter when he took over) to the group stages of the UEFA Cup? I'm not sure I'd concur with that. Mick did a good, solid job with Ipswich; but what Kenny has done with Dundalk is incredible.

I think you are doing McCarthy a bit of disservice by saying he just kept Ipswich in the Championship. He did so comfortably and had them finishing top half in 4 of his seasons and finishing in the playoffs once. They finished 12th, 9th, 6th, 7th and 15th during his time in charge.  15th being the lowest finish in his first season and if memory serves me right he took over mid way through that season when Ipswich hadn't won a game in a long time and were in a bad state (or in the gutter!).  He had nothing to spend or very little to spend during his time in charge.

Again i am certainly not rubbishing Kennys recent achievements with Dundalk far from it but IMO i think McCarthys at Ipswich over the 5 year period he was in charge are better at a higher level.  i think the general consensus is that the championship is a remarkably competitive league.

That is nonsense tbh. McCarthy kept a side in the Championship who have pretty much always been in the Championship; in other words he didn't really move them too far back or forwards. As I said, he did a very solid job, but he hardly worked miracles!

Kenny on the other hand took a side who were languishing near the bottom of the LOI, and within a few years had them holding their own in the group stages of the Europa League. There simply is no comparison; Mick did well, but Kenny performed wonders.
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

And Bradser.......
LOLLOL

Again, this isn't saying McCarthy should be manager, but Ipswich were a club in a mess. They have had, for the past few years, one of the smallest playing budgets in the division. They also sold their key players every year.
As is being shown this year, McCarthy overachieved massively at Ipswich, it was far more than a solid job. Like a lot of these jobs he has done it only looks better a few years down the line.
tony grealish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony grealish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Anyone who thinks Stephen Kenny is a better option than McCarthy or Allardyce doesn’t understand football. 

I get the sentiment among LOI fans but that’s the equivalent of championing a foreigner who managed Sparta Prague and NEC Breda. 

McCarthy has been tried and failed. Allardyce is a corrupt fat f**k.

How did McCarthy fail exactly ? 

He was one of 2 managers who got us to a World Cup in 88 years of trying. Some of yis need a reality check. Getting to a World Cup is the only success we will ever achieve.

We had a good squad at the time, for a weak world cup. The chance was there to do well. Then he alienated the best player we had and didn't even notice the opposition had less players than us.

I look forward to the response to this. The amount of times McCarthy made a balls of things while in charge of Ireland was massive, but his disciples will not have a bad word said about him.

Kennys last few years in management are simply light years ahead of what McCarthy has achieved. I'm not for one second saying Kenny is the only option for the job, there are hundreds of great coaches out there if the FAI did their homework.

I'd so far as to say that those calling for McCarthy over Kenny don't know anything about football. See, we can all do that.

Clap
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''
Jocky Wilson View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jocky Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

I'm not sure I buy the "inexperienced" line. He's 47 years old and has been managing for the last 21 years.

Exactly how much experience is he supposed to get under his belt before he becomes eligible for the Ireland job?
He's won many leagues and cups. He's managed in the Europa league and Champions league. Mick McCarthy has never won a national league as a manager. 
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 6:22pm

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I find it bizarre clubs calling for Kenny to be manager. I have never seen the likes.  I have to say its just an attempt to usurp the Dundalk gravy train.

Just looking for a bit of media attention for a few hours.

Yeah very weird behaviour from certain clubs regarding Kenny. 
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:18am
Starting to worry about most on here. Have we all not just watched a dinosaur in charge with sh*te football. So why do we want it again? Mick has been at Ipswich struggling. Kenny has been reinventing Dundalk at home and in Europe and making people say who are Dundalk. Who the f**k are Ipswich. There is not 1 club chasing Yorkshire Mick. Yes he made a World Cup but how many tournaments did he f**k up I'm qualifying. 

Kenny plays good football - Mick doesn't 

If we don't offer Mick the job, is there a massive queue to get him?

Kenny has worked miracles with nearly all the teams he has managed. And big Sam. FFS - lay off the gear 

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:16am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Starting to worry about most on here. Have we all not just watched a dinosaur in charge with sh*te football. So why do we want it again? Mick has been at Ipswich struggling. Kenny has been reinventing Dundalk at home and in Europe and making people say who are Dundalk. Who the f**k are Ipswich. There is not 1 club chasing Yorkshire Mick. Yes he made a World Cup but how many tournaments did he f**k up I'm qualifying. 

Kenny has worked miracles with nearly all the teams he has managed. And big Sam. FFS - lay off the gear 

Just on this, I nearly p*ssed myself laughing when RTE were bigging McCarthy up about offers from abroad, I think I heard China and Qatar mentioned somewhere else LOL

I doubt there is a championship team who would go near McCarthy again. I'm absolutely certain there isn't an English club ever going to pay McCarthy 1.2m again in the rest of his career. Our decision to do so is another level of moronic. Sickening.

I genuinely have to laugh as well at so many belittling Kennys achievements in the past few years in comparison to McCarthys achievements. This place is f*cking mental.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:48am
Don't think Kenny is the messiah but he would have been different. Risky yes but all managers are a risk
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 2:18am
Originally posted by Guppy Guppy wrote:

That’s easy to answer. Manage outside of Ireland. The league is a pathetic standard with attendances lower than GAA or rugby. The pressure isn’t there. He’s never had the pressure to success of a huge club Never mind country.

He’s perfect for the u21 role, not senior. 

Do you think Liam Kelly, Harry Arter, Cyrus Christie, Scott Hogan, Callum Robinson, David McGoldrick, Declan Rice have a clue who Stephen Kenny is? They’ll quite literally go, who’s this lad. Managed in Ireland? So what?

That’s the reality, simple as that. You need to respect the gaffer. Mick appeals to the English lads, who make up the core of our team. We need Kelly, we need Crowley we need Rice. We don’t need Stephen Kenny. 

Stephen Kenny manages Dundalk, there’s villages in England bigger then Dundalk. It’s a different level of expectation which Mick has handled his entire career, bringing Wolves up, keeping a non funded Ipswich team in the Championship each season getting the most from players. Could Kenny do that? No he couldn’t if he tried his style of play with those players Mick had they’d of been in League One. I know many here adore their LOI but it’s a goldfish bowl. Most League 2 sides would beat them all bar Dundalk, and Dundalk over a season would get relegated from the Championship. Just the reality.

Actually. The grass roots stuff is nonsense. We face an issue in Ireland and it’ll always be there, no matter how good we make the LOI. Players at 16/17/18 will continue to flood through the gates to English youth academies. Very few want to stick it out with Finn Harps. You all need to get some reality here. Football is the third place sports organisation in the country now. We have, and will to an extend always rely on non Irish born players to declare for Ireland. Look at Jacks teams, we need that again. 
Mick the same, since Mick left we lost the ability to get more and more to declare we’ve lost an absolute tone. Mark Noble being one who I’ve alwahs believed Mick would of got on board.

Don’t disregard how important it’ll be have an English born backroom team (Mick-Terry Connor) to get dual citizenship lads to declare. Hopefully Liam Kelly, Crowley and Rice are available for March. 
Disapprove This post just sums up everything wrong with the mindset of the typical Ireland football fan. We should have management from England because that will make English footballers want to play for us so that it will feel more like they are playing for England?
And who cares if we have a sh*te league  because England's will always be better than ours so lets just forget about it and ship all our players across as soon as they hit puberty because England is the key to all our footballing dreams and worthiness?
People like yourself deserve us to have the crap football team we currently do and you have clearly never  learnt anything about the contribution our pitiful dependence on our ex colonial masters has contributed to our present woefulness. You should be wearing a blazer in an FAI committee.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Guppy Guppy wrote:

I'm not sure I buy the "inexperienced" line. He's 47 years old and has been managing for the last 21 years.

Exactly how much experience is he supposed to get under his belt before he becomes eligible for the Ireland job?

That’s easy to answer. Manage outside of Ireland. The league is a pathetic standard with attendances lower than GAA or rugby. The pressure isn’t there. He’s never had the pressure to success of a huge club Never mind country.

He’s perfect for the u21 role, not senior. 

Do you think Liam Kelly, Harry Arter, Cyrus Christie, Scott Hogan, Callum Robinson, David McGoldrick, Declan Rice have a clue who Stephen Kenny is? They’ll quite literally go, who’s this lad. Managed in Ireland? So what?

That’s the reality, simple as that. You need to respect the gaffer. Mick appeals to the English lads, who make up the core of our team. We need Kelly, we need Crowley we need Rice. We don’t need Stephen Kenny. 

Stephen Kenny manages Dundalk, there’s villages in England bigger then Dundalk. It’s a different level of expectation which Mick has handled his entire career, bringing Wolves up, keeping a non funded Ipswich team in the Championship each season. Stephen Kenny went to Scotland, got relegated and left. He’s another Pat Fenlon essentially. Only Fenlon managed a large club in Scotland. You could argue Fenlon has more experience for tbe job.

Actually. The grass roots stuff is nonsense. We face an issue in Ireland and it’ll always be there, no matter how good we make the LOI. Players at 16/17/18 will continue to flood through the gates to English youth academies. Very few want to stick it out with Finn Harps. You all need to get some reality here. Football is the third place sports organisation in the country now. We have, and will to an extend always rely on non Irish born players to declare for Ireland. Look at Jacks teams, we need that again. 
Mick the same, since Mick left we lost the ability to get more and more to declare we’ve lost an absolute tone. Mark Noble being one who I’ve alwahs believed Mick would of got on board.

Don’t disregard how important it’ll be have an English born backroom team (Mick-Terry Connor) to get dual citizenship lads to declare. Hopefully Liam Kelly, Crowley and Rice are available for March. 
This is literally one of the worst posts I’ve read on here ever LOL
WTF has GAA attendances got to do with anything?
Mark Noble didn’t declare for us because he is English, and to say Mick would’ve got him on board is ridiculous. 
You clearly no f**k all about Stephen Kenny so please don’t bother with the history lesson. 
And then bring Bundee Ake, CJ Stander and incorrect LOI attendance figures into it LOLLOLLOL All while supporting the FAI board!! 

Edited by 9fingers - 24 Nov 2018 at 9:01am
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 9:13am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

You should go back and watch one of the games from 2002 World Cup.

It's a bit of a shock as I watched one last year.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 9:25am
I’d like the FAI to get Stephen involved in the Irish set up.

Obviously Mick will bring his own No2 but should the FAI get Kenny on board in some capacity so he can be groomed to be the next Ireland manager - a bit of forward planning.

After all the publicity I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kenny move to a bigger club than Dundalk in the near future.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 735>
  Share Topic