Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 419420421422423 735>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

I love this team ClapClapClap

Absolutely beaming watching Ireland lately Clap
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Sponsored Links

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 9:43pm
Tonight was a huge match for him and while it looked for a while like he was going to fluff his lines completely, he made changes that I'm not sure he would have made last year. He saw the problem and he rectified it. The change was crucial and some of the goals were great. 

He has gotten the result and thats the most important thing. 3rd gives the team something to build on. A nice nations league group and we could have a playoff guaranteed for the Euros in 2024.

I think you can finally objectively say that there is progress being made now. I'm looking forward to the next campaign with optimism.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Courageous, exciting, not always right but give it everything, play for each other, play for the manager & play the right way. Clap
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Great team to watch and now getting the results. 
Love to see it. 

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 9:52pm
I think just give him the contract at this stage - I don't see the point in hanging on until July, the Nations League is part of the qualifiers so if you leave him until June and then sack him whoever comes in then isn't getting a fair shot at a full campaign really. Kenny needs to own the Euros campaign now be judged on results from here on.

Issues like the setup for the first hour tonight are still a cause for concern. It was a terrible team selection and it took far too long to be rectified - but it was rectified and hopefully the lesson that we need three central midfielders has been learned and we won't see that error again.

To be fair to him he's aiming high for next year - win the Nations League group. Personally I'd be happy with a top 2 finish but that's the level we need to be hitting if we're going to make Euro 2024 - which is what this is ultimately all about. We've seen glimpses in the last couple of months - definitely some concerns also - but enough progress to show that the project is worth sticking with.

Edited by You Tell Me - 14 Nov 2021 at 10:04pm
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I think just give him the contract at this stage - I don't see the point in hanging on until July, the Nations League is part of the qualifiers so if you leave him until June and then sack him whoever comes in then isn't getting a fair shot at a full campaign really. Kenny needs to own the Euros campaign now be judged on results from here on.

Issues like the setup for the first hour tonight are still a cause for concern. It was a terrible team selection and it took far too long to be rectified - but it was rectified and hopefully the lesson that we need three central midfielders has been learned and we won't see that error again.
the set up in the first hour left JC and JH with a lot to do and wouldn’t have been many peoples choice including myself but.. it meant the LUX defence were run into the ground by time the midfielder for forward switch happened. Tacticians change and space created to create chances. Of course Knight was excellent. Maybe there’s a bit of thought going into it for the manager / coaching team.
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:09pm
Buzzing from that tonight. Genuinely excited for the future for the first time in a long time Clap
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:25pm
I started off believing in Kenng and lost 95% confidence in him  from England away until the September internationals. I am back on the Kenny bandwagon. Clap
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

In SK we trust ClapClapClapClapClapClap

Haters will be crying into their pints tonight

Ah come on we all support the team. Grow up.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:37pm
Wanted to wait until the NL campaign before the game. Based on the second half of the campaign Kenny deserves his new contract.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:48pm
Not only has Kenny got us playing an attractive style of football, but he has been excellent in his selection / recruitment of certain players.

For instance, on paper Ogbene and McGrath shouldn't be in our squad, never mind starting. Kenny clearly did his homework on both and has found a way to integrate these guys into a system that works. This is what the likes of Iceland, Northern Ireland etc. have been doing for years.

You can't 'sign' new players in International football but you can cast the net out wider and take a sensible punt - MON and McCarthy never found new players from lower divisions, the likes of O'Dowda and Curtis who have more impressive records at club level than the above two players but have been quite poor when given the chance by MON / Mick.

Kenny clearly knows what type of player he needs to improve the team and has rarely got it wrong in this regard. Yes Daryl Horgan's selection can be frustrating, and yes Adam Idah has been poor over the past few games but the point still stands - Kenny's recruitment / capping of players has been excellent so far.

Mick/MON would still be picking West Hams 3rd choice keeper over Bazunu.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:49pm
On a purely results based metric, that was a very poor campaign. But that's not the only metric. Holistically, this has been both a progressive and important campaign from an evolution point of view, and moving on from the past four years where I think our whole expectation of what the national team could achieve were depressed to the point that we tried to do the requisite mental gymnastics to justify the Luxembourg result in March.

Now, Kenny has started cracking certain codes that were important in us qualifying for major tournaments. Including flat track bullying lower seeded opposition, and at least matching superior seeded teams. He has done this while blooding 11 young players, introducing a number of new names that are a little older, but have more campaigns in them, and finding ways of best playing the key players from before.

I think this has been a qualified success, but there are green shoots.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:51pm
Great to see the work is coming off. We really have a weak squad from midfield to attack. So fair play to Kenny and the players for making his style work 

Edited by Artie Ziff - 14 Nov 2021 at 10:52pm
It would damage this forums' reputation
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:56pm
Loved Kenny's post match interview quality from him.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Not only has Kenny got us playing an attractive style of football, but he has been excellent in his selection / recruitment of certain players.

For instance, on paper Ogbene and McGrath shouldn't be in our squad, never mind starting. Kenny clearly did his homework on both and has found a way to integrate these guys into a system that works. This is what the likes of Iceland, Northern Ireland etc. have been doing for years.

You can't 'sign' new players in International football but you can cast the net out wider and take a sensible punt - MON and McCarthy never found new players from lower divisions, the likes of O'Dowda and Curtis who have more impressive records at club level than the above two players but have been quite poor when given the chance by MON / Mick.

Kenny clearly knows what type of player he needs to improve the team and has rarely got it wrong in this regard. Yes Daryl Horgan's selection can be frustrating, and yes Adam Idah has been poor over the past few games but the point still stands - Kenny's recruitment / capping of players has been excellent so far.

Even with re: to Idah, he has had a couple of v good games (Portugal, Azerbaijan) and had a bright enough cameo in the game before this.

Gets the benefit of the doubt due to club circumstances. He's played far more football for us than Norwich.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

On a purely results based metric, that was a very poor campaign. But that's not the only metric. Holistically, this has been both a progressive and important campaign from an evolution point of view, and moving on from the past four years where I think our whole expectation of what the national team could achieve were depressed to the point that we tried to do the requisite mental gymnastics to justify the Luxembourg result in March.

Now, Kenny has started cracking certain codes that were important in us qualifying for major tournaments. Including flat track bullying lower seeded opposition, and at least matching superior seeded teams. He has done this while blooding 11 young players, introducing a number of new names that are a little older, but have more campaigns in them, and finding ways of best playing the key players from before.

I think this has been a qualified success, but there are green shoots.

Great Post. A lot was made of a so called sense of entitlement that we had expecting to beat Lux at home. Tonight showed that it was no sense of entitlement and the mental gymnastics employed to excuse the defeat at home were embarrassing. In saying all that fair play to Kenny he has turned it around. 
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 11:07pm

Great point re McGrath and Ogbene. Ogbene wouldn't have given a compelling reason to be picked through club form. He absolutely pestered PSG's Danilo against Portugal and was very impactful tonight. He could have had an assist or two in the first half if his crossing were better so there are areas for significant improvement but he's a fitting into the system better than most could have expected and in a positive manner.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Great point re McGrath and Ogbene. Ogbene wouldn't have given a compelling reason to be picked through club form. He absolutely pestered PSG's Danilo against Portugal and was very impactful tonight. He could have had an assist or two in the first half if his crossing were better so there are areas for significant improvement but he's a fitting into the system better than most could have expected and in a positive manner.

Hes reminds me of James McClean when he first burst onto the scene at Sunderland and there was clamour to get him into the Irish team under Trap.

Both have a limited skill set but have/had that pace to burn and big physicality to their game, tormenting and out muscling defenders at ease for 90 minutes. Big work man attitude too always looking to put in a shift. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 419420421422423 735>
  Share Topic