You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 418419420421422 735>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Those who are so voiciferous in defending SK....would you happy to give him a contract until 2026 ? I assume the majority will say No as they would have an expectation of improved results sooner rather than later. So, at what stage do they believe a change is necessary ? Are they prepared to write off the 2022 NL as well? Or even Euro 2024 ? Are they happy to accept nice possession based football with no cutting edge and non qualification ? The alternative is a more direct approach which not as pretty on the eye but has proven to get better results.
Personally I would give him a 10 year contract.

The transformation that Irish soccer needs isn't going to be achieved in 2 or 4 years. A complete shift in the mindset of style and development of players is going to take much longer. I think Kenny has done an incredible job in 2 years and while a lot has been done a lot more remains to do. Kenny's nurturing and development of the likes of Bazunu, Omobamidele, Molumby, Parrott, Idah, Knight, Connolly has given us the spine of the future team. Much more time is going to be needed to find more players to supplement these lads.

Euro 2024 might come a little early for his project and this is why I think a 10 year contract is preferable.
OK , I think it's time for class A drugs LOL
I'd say give him 20 years LOL
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 2:58pm
I don't think we've ever been as bad defensively under Kenny as some people say.

What has frustrated me has been a ponderousness in midfield and a lack of fluidity up front; an inability to connect the dots between the lines. This has gradually improved along with set pieces and a greater threat down the channels.

There were individual defensive errors in the first few months and we looked too open at points but we didn't still cede a drastic amount of chances and we've started creating more at the other end.

If anything, our defensive solidity is as good as it's ever been right now. We just need to figure out how to stop relying on Duffy and/or corners for goals.

Hopefully Idah pays back Kenny's faith if he starts tonight.
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 3:07pm
I'm still a little on the fence regarding Kenny as I feel we do need to start winning some more games. But I will say this, he has been tasked with changing the footballing identity of our country, a task he is definitely making progress towards. Personally I dont think the nations league games will offer a true outcome of this task and therefore I reckon he should get the Euro campaign to truly test if his plan has worked. If it hasn't, well then we look in another direction but if it does, with the abundance of potential talent we have coming through at underage, we could see ourselves qualifying more consistently.  

If Kenny goes before the Euros, what approach do we take, to we go back to what has worked in the past, which I believe is a very short sighted approach or do we go for a manager who would look to continue Kenny's work, which would just be a little pointless. 3rd option is to completely tear it all up and start from scratch again. Option 1 would probably give us the best chance for qualifying for Euro 2024, but what after that, options 2 and 3 would probably take time for the new manager to settle in etc so we could potentially be writing of 24 anyway if they don't hit the ground running. 

I dont believe Kenny will ever see that much success in his ireland managerial career, the work he his doing I believe will benefit the next manager and the manager after that. In saying that though, we need to let him see out his plan, the players seem to believe in him, the majority of fans seem to believe in him so let's all get behind our team and our manager. 

So maybe not as much on the fence as I thought LOL
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 3:32pm
We have to finish 3rd ahead of Luxembourg if so-called progress is being made. It is a results business at the end of the day.
The only way is up
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 4:07pm
But progress has already been made up to this point, lost to Serbia but drew the return, lost to Portugal but drew the return, drew with Azerbaijan and then beat them comfortably, same with Qatar. Yes a win tonight would be great, but I don't think it will be the be all and end all of Kennys reign. We were never getting out of this group and on paper yes, we should have been finishing 3rd but most of the so called minnows are getting stronger now and harder to play against let alone beat. So this sense of entitlement that we should be getting 12 points off the 2 lower ranked teams is a bit much these days.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by dundon13 dundon13 wrote:

But progress has already been made up to this point, lost to Serbia but drew the return, lost to Portugal but drew the return, drew with Azerbaijan and then beat them comfortably, same with Qatar. Yes a win tonight would be great, but I don't think it will be the be all and end all of Kennys reign. We were never getting out of this group and on paper yes, we should have been finishing 3rd but most of the so called minnows are getting stronger now and harder to play against let alone beat. So this sense of entitlement that we should be getting 12 points off the 2 lower ranked teams is a bit much these days.

If you want to qualify for tournaments you need to take at least 10 points from the teams in pots below you. No one has said because we haven't qualified that this is what makes the campaign unacceptable(a win tonight makes it tolerable). We have one win and have been out of contention for even a play off spot for quite a while realistically. So it has never been about failing to get out of the group. It was that we were so adrift.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 4:43pm

Right as you know i never wanted Kenny as the manager as i see this contected to JD and the past which i never want to see the like again .

What has that got to do with Stephen Kenny? "connected to the past" embarassing rationale for not wanting a man in charge. It's not like he was a JD stooge. This is a man that only became associated with the FAI in late 2018. It's not like he has a long standing association with JD and that regime. 

I am not anti Dublin or LOI i just think he " was " not the man for the job .

Who would you have been happy with? You're in a privileged position now as you can change any names you may have had in yer head back in April 2020. 

World Cup started off very bad and got better towards the end .

Correct and lets hope for more this evening. 

What ever happens tonight i do not think the board need to act right away . i think Kenny should still be the manager until July as they don't need to sack him we will play like for like sides in NL games and we have to get results .
Come July the board can sit down and see where we are only then they can decide to stick or twist .

You're contradicting yourself here. You didnt want him, you dont believe he is the man for the job, yet you think he should maintain his position? Surely that goes against your common sense? If a man isnt fit for the job then why would you perservere? 

Honestly, it's hard to respect the drivel posted by you Murph. You set out your stall early doors and can't seem to swallow your pride and acknowledge that the management team, given the circumstances, have performed well.

It's also convenient how you almost mirror Liam Brady and his views on contracts etc. convenient material for your assertions. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Originally posted by dundon13 dundon13 wrote:

If you want to qualify for tournaments you need to take at least 10 points from the teams in pots below you. No one has said because we haven't qualified that this is what makes the campaign unacceptable(a win tonight makes it tolerable). We have one win and have been out of contention for even a play off spot for quite a while realistically. So it has never been about failing to get out of the group. It was that we were so adrift.

And if you wanna qualify for tournaments consistently then you have to develop a side that can not only beat the teams below you but compete with those above. The home Lux game was a bit of a freak result, we dominated the game but couldn't break them down. Basically they did to us what we have done to teams better teams in the past. This is why I believe Kenny needs to have the euro campaign aswell, to see if his work can pay off.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Right as you know i never wanted Kenny as the manager as i see this contected to JD and the past which i never want to see the like again .

What has that got to do with Stephen Kenny? "connected to the past" embarassing rationale for not wanting a man in charge. It's not like he was a JD stooge. This is a man that only became associated with the FAI in late 2018. It's not like he has a long standing association with JD and that regime. 

Who would you have been happy with? You're in a privileged position now as you can change any names you may have had in yer head back in April 2020. 

What ever happens tonight i do not think the board need to act right away . i think Kenny should still be the manager until July as they don't need to sack him we will play like for like sides in NL games and we have to get results .
Come July the board can sit down and see where we are only then they can decide to stick or twist .

You're contradicting yourself here. You didnt want him, you dont believe he is the man for the job, yet you think he should maintain his position? Surely that goes against your common sense? If a man isnt fit for the job then why would you perservere? 

Honestly, it's hard to respect the drivel posted by you Murph. You set out your stall early doors and can't seem to swallow your pride and acknowledge that the management team, given the circumstances, have performed well.

It's also convenient how you almost mirror Liam Brady and his views on contracts etc. convenient material for your assertions. 

Not going to reply to any of your trash talk after this post .Thumbs Down
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 6:33pm

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Not going to reply to any of your trash talk after this post .Thumbs Down

Nah Murph. You just can’t offer any more insight because your argument is utter scutter. 

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 9:31pm
10 more years Clap
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 9:33pm
In SK we trust ClapClapClapClapClapClap

Haters will be crying into their pints tonight
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 9:35pm
There's only ooooooone 🎶Clap
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 9:35pm
Why’s it even still a debate about his contract?
Clear progression over the past year
Would he daft to sack him and appoint a washed up ex English championship manager to tear up the plans
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Would he daft to sack him and appoint a washed up ex English championship manager to tear up the plans

Think there will be no debate after tonight now
I love beer gardens
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Think there will be no debate after tonight now

Brady finally admitted defeat anyway LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 9:41pm
I love this team ClapClapClap
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

I love this team ClapClapClap

Can't remember the last time I enjoyed watching us. Quite possibly under Kerr at times.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 418419420421422 735>
  Share Topic