You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 415416417418419 735>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 3:44pm
The ireland team needed to sacrifice a tournament to rebuild the team. I seriously can't see how you could rebuild and be competitive at the same time with our resources.

Tactics, formation, approach to games all changed.

By March the team will be vastly different to what Kenny has started with.

Sponsored Links

Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 3:52pm
There are many ways to look at this, progress / results / performance / crowds and €€.
I'm convinced the players will want SK and his coaching team in place in March and beyond regardless of the result on Sunday,... which is as an important factor as any.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

The ireland team needed to sacrifice a tournament to rebuild the team. I seriously can't see how you could rebuild and be competitive at the same time with our resources.

Tactics, formation, approach to games all changed.

By March the team will be vastly different to what Kenny has started with.

Agreed, I find it hard to understand how people don't find this period exciting, especially given recent performances, with several more new faces likely to be introduced in March and the continuing development of a lot of the young lads already introduced. Kilkenny, Smallbone, Ebosele, Coventry, Ronan, Doyle-Hayes. Bagan, Mc Guinness etc. We have a lot of young talent coming through at the same time after a five year drought since the Doherty/Brady/Hendrick generation. By the law of averages even, I think we can expect to see a much deeper squad playing at a higher level in a couple of years time. I think Kenny and his backroom team Andrews, Barry, Rice have now shown enough to demonstrate that they are the right group to oversee this transition. Hopefully we can get the win vs Luxembourg to silence the doubters and end the campaign on a high note.
Idah Dream!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 4:08pm
I’m more convinced than ever that there was little chance of avoid at least some short term pain. When you factor in the years since 2015 you can pinpoint a number of key factors that brought us to where we are. These include the defections of Rice and Grealish, the retirements of a number of long-standing and key players, the loss of form and injuries to those who would have held us together over the past four years, and the longstanding mentality that limited football was our best chance of obtaining results.

That has caused a significant decline which means we are relying on a group of average players (using their club status as a benchmark), with no obvious goal scoring outlet. Moreso than ever defence is our best form of attack. But, what Kenny has done is to try and play as much orthodox football as he can, while evolving the side with the players he has got.

Ultimately, the likes of Trappatoni and MON had the luxury of being able to exclude players from their plans, because we had a relatively deep pool. We don’t anymore, so what Kenny has done has actually be rather remarkable.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Brady couldn’t praise SK, praising SK would only compound the lies himself Trap & Tardelli told us about player ability 10 years ago. Our team 10 years ago was far superior individually than our current one but we were coached out of playing football.

That's exactly it. It was pretty embarrassing stuff from him last night really. He's hamstrung by the past so not really sure if there's any point continuing to include him on the panel.

Why was Brady retained and Dunphy and Giles not? Both have their flaws as pundits but once I keep that in mind in listening to them I find them entertaining and often insightful. Brady is neither entertaining or insightful and hasn't been for a while in my opinion. 

I heard Vinny Perth on OTB make a good point this morning. He reckoned that when Pepe was sent of we could have gone all out for a goal but maybe didn't. He reckoned that was because a draw was an acceptable result so, given that he is working for a contract, there was no incentive to get the win- the downside of attacking (losing) outweighed the upside (winning).

Interesting point in the context of Brady's comments. It works both ways. 

Think Kenny was a bit unlucky with the timing of the sending off, having just made 2 subs, these may well have been different had the sending off occurred 3 minutes previously.

If anything the sending off was fortunate for him in the context of the subs - given that the subs distorted the shape and every sub performed worse than the player they replaced. 

By taking off McGrath he lost a lot of control in the midfield which was masked by the fact that Portugal had to sit back almost immediately after.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Suffice to say, anyone who doesn't see progress has the blinkers on!

Exactly. And progress with the weakest set of players in 40 years. What do the naysayers expect? Instant success with by and large average players?

Yes is the answer, mad as it sounds. We're dealing with posters who state here that another Kenny game is "another game wasted".

If we had Big Sam in for the Portugal game instead, they would argue that the goal in injury time should have stood. We may be 3 or 4 goals down by then granted, but they would argue that there was no foul and the great goal should have stood. But Kenny is still here, so they're convinced it was a free kick. To keep the "3 wins in 18" tales going. 
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Suffice to say, anyone who doesn't see progress has the blinkers on!

Exactly. And progress with the weakest set of players in 40 years. What do the naysayers expect? Instant success with by and large average players?

Yes is the answer, mad as it sounds. We're dealing with posters who state here that another Kenny game is "another game wasted".

If we had Big Sam in for the Portugal game instead, they would argue that the goal in injury time should have stood. We may be 3 or 4 goals down by then granted, but they would argue that there was no foul and the great goal should have stood. But Kenny is still here, so they're convinced it was a free kick. To keep the "3 wins in 18" tales going. 
To quote you lot, that is an "embarrassing" post!
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 6:32pm
A blind man can see the progress that has been made under Kenny. Previous friendlies and the NL campaign were practically sacrificed by Kenny to fine tune the system and his players, hence the poor start results wise.

Out of everything the other night, one thing that stood out for me that showed how much we have changed as a team was the build up for the chance Enda Stevens missed. It started down with Coleman under pressure in the corner facing his own goal. In the past, he would have turned and stuck it out for a throw or tried kicking it as far up the pitch as possible, but instead, he turned inside, played a short pass in to Cullen (I think) who took it out and 3 or 4 passes later, Ogbene plays a ball across for our left back to shoot.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 7:04pm
I had been a very vocal critic of Kenny particularly in the first part of the campaign..I thought we looked badly organised and despite some odd passages of play that were encouraging we didn't really seem to click. The change to 3-4-2-1 has been a game changer for us. Robinson has suited it especially as have Doherty; Cullen and MGrath in particular. The emergence of some young guys like Bazunu, Omoobidele, Connolly, Idah, Knight and O'Shea has certainly given some hope. A regain of form for Hendrick and Duffy with Cullen emerging as a real linchpin means we look very settled and capable. I wouldn't just be for jumping the gun yet with Kenny and would wait until the Nations league to make a decision one way or the other on him.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

I had been a very vocal critic of Kenny particularly in the first part of the campaign..I thought we looked badly organised and despite some odd passages of play that were encouraging we didn't really seem to click. The change to 3-4-2-1 has been a game changer for us. Robinson has suited it especially as have Doherty; Cullen and MGrath in particular. The emergence of some young guys like Bazunu, Omoobidele, Connolly, Idah, Knight and O'Shea has certainly given some hope. A regain of form for Hendrick and Duffy with Cullen emerging as a real linchpin means we look very settled and capable. I wouldn't just be for jumping the gun yet with Kenny and would wait until the Nations league to make a decision one way or the other on him.
 As you i am in the same boat as you stick , but i did think Portugal were poor on the night and i am still in the Kenny has to go brigade as when you look at the table on Sunday night does anyone think that would be good enough ?
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

As you i am in the same boat as you stick , but i did think Portugal were poor on the night and i am still in the Kenny has to go brigade as when you look at the table on Sunday night does anyone think that would be good enough ?
I think 3rd spot is our level, 4th would be a failure, regardless of the endless excuses offered to explain away poor results and performances. I think we will win tomorrow.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 7:45pm

Portugal came with a gameplay not to be beaten. I dont think they ever looked uncomfortable during the game but by the same token it was a game we probably would have lost by a few goals a year ago. As I say I have seen some good improvement in our play and organisation which as a fan makes me want to give Kenny slightly more time to let this develop. I am not getting too carried away with recent performances but if we can get Idah or Connolly to really kick on we could be a pretty decent outfit. 

Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 8:19pm

Do you see progress?

If you say yes, then why would you get rid of a manager?

If you say no, you are ...

A.) In denial
B.) Consiously spoofing us
C.) Have no idea about football

Or maybe you (for whatever reason) just hate Stephen Kenny. Just be honest. Your critique makes no sense.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 8:46pm
Anyone still against Kenny either has an agenda against him or lives in cuckoo land where they expect ireland to be beating everyone seeded below them and competing with teams at the top until the last game, despite us having nowhere near the squad we use to have when we had general consistency in being around the top 2. 

If we finish 3rd, the naysayers will say "yeah but we were out of it x games early, at least previous managers brought it to the last game ".
It's an argument but it that's the only argument then it's a poor one. I would rather think you have to look at where you are in the here and now and ask yourself are we in a good state? No point to punish the manager with the sack because of failures made earlier in the group if things are good now. 

Anyway it's a non matter, he is getting another contract 
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 8:52pm
I'am in the Liam Brady camp for now....
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Anyone still against Kenny either has an agenda against him or lives in cuckoo land where they expect ireland to be beating everyone seeded below them and competing with teams at the top until the last game, despite us having nowhere near the squad we use to have when we had general consistency in being around the top 2. 

If we finish 3rd, the naysayers will say "yeah but we were out of it x games early, at least previous managers brought it to the last game ".
It's an argument but it that's the only argument then it's a poor one. I would rather think you have to look at where you are in the here and now and ask yourself are we in a good state? No point to punish the manager with the sack because of failures made earlier in the group if things are good now. 

You seem very invested in him getting a new contract for some reason, I couldn't care less who the manager is as long as we are qualifying for tournaments. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

You seem very invested in him getting a new contract for some reason, I couldn't care less who the manager is as long as we are qualifying for tournaments. 

Guardiola wouldn’t get that squad qualified for the World Cup! Catch yourself on.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

What are you on about? We’ve qualified for 1 of the last 5 tournaments. We’ve qualified for 6 tournaments in nearly 90 years. 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 415416417418419 735>
  Share Topic