You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 370371372373374 735>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

If Coleman is fit - he should be playing. He's arguably our best player.

If a better player comes along then great. This seems to be working for Italy with Bonucci abd Chiellini.

Arguably? No question.

He's on my all time XI

Yeah, I think at this point it's fair to say that its universally agreed upon that Coleman is our best player. 
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

If a better player comes along then great. This seems to be working for Italy with Bonucci abd Chiellini.

Both are centre backs, a much easier position to play well in to your 30s. I'm not saying Coleman cant and obviously if he remains first choice in the PL, he's going to continue to be selected, I just think its unlikely given his regular niggly injuries since the leg break. I wouldn't be planning a team for the Euro campaign around a 34/35yo Coleman.

Is his niggly injuries any worse than say Connolly or others? - how many Ireland games has he missed recently through injury? apart from the Serbia game.

Goran Pandev is still playing and he's 38+.

As long if Coleman is good enough and fit enough he should be included. The same logic should apply to all players.

We are not in a position to be leaving out our best players because they are 30+.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 3:02pm

Both are centre backs, a much easier position to play well in to your 30s. I'm not saying Coleman cant and obviously if he remains first choice in the PL, he's going to continue to be selected, I just think its unlikely given his regular niggly injuries since the leg break. I wouldn't be planning a team for the Euro campaign around a 34/35yo Coleman.

Is his niggly injuries any worse than say Connolly or others? - how many Ireland games has he missed recently through injury? apart from the Serbia game.

As long if Coleman is good enough and fit enough he should be included. The same logic should apply to all players.

We are not in a position to be leaving out our best players because they are 30+.

But he's not 30+, he's 33 next month. He played 1607 minutes in the PL in 2020/21, that's less than half a season, 18 odd games, 1833 mins the season before (20 games). 

Imo he was moved in to RCB vs Azerbaijan (a position I don't think suits his strengths at all btw and he was poor for their goal) in order to save his legs for the Serbia game. As it turns out he then missed that game through injury in any case, came back, played for Everton in their next game and then missed out again this weekend with injury.

I repeat I am not saying he should be dropped/omitted and certainly not while he is playing regularly, but I do think we have to start planning without his presence - if he stays fit then great, that's a bonus and of course he should be selected, but he has struggled with fitness issues ever since his leg break.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 3:10pm

And as per Wikipedia, we played 8 internationals in 2020 and Coleman did not feature in a single one (I knew he missed quite a few, but can anyone confirm that?)
Idah Dream!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 3:20pm
I know Kenny initially chose Doherty over Coleman before results started to go pear shaped and he was drafted back in.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 3:27pm
Doherty started the first two nations league games, and Coleman was out injured for the games in October, and November.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 3:29pm
Are we talking about phasing Coleman out? I would rather be talking about how we can prolong his time with us as much as possible. 

Coleman was slow enough to get back up to full steam and Doherty was in good form for wolves. Coleman has since shown he is not finished at all, recovered his form at club level and for us, showed he has the most quality of the squad. Bad mistake vs. Azerbaijan aside.

Even in attack his ability to do the right thing moving forward compared to our midfielders is really noticeable 

Edited by t_rAndy - 21 Sep 2021 at 3:29pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 3:37pm

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Everyone will have their own take of course, but I would say this would be our first 11 as it stands in a 532. Looks like the foundations of a new team but the problem areas increase the further up the field you go.

Bazunu - starting his career in L1 and looks promising.

Coleman - premier league player with excellent experience 

Duffy - premier league player with excellent experience 
Egan - vastly experienced with premier league experience 
Oshea - couple of years experience and probably one of the best defenders in the championship 

Doherty - highly experienced premier league player but struggling of late 

Knight - starting out his career in the championship and looks promising 
Cullen - new lease of life with anderlecht and looks good
Hendrick - highly experienced but struggling of late 

Idah - starting his career, needs more time 
Robinson - championship player and looks a good player 

Playing a teenager from a League 1 team is a risk but this lad looks good, still going to make a mistake but he'll get better

Defence looks better than it has for a long time now that oshea, omobamidele and collins are coming through.

Midfield is a problem area, lots of energy but lacking any attacking class going forward, hopefully knight can fill that gap.

Forward - critical area for ireland, struggling to kick the ball into the net

Think our starting XI against Portugal with Knight replacing Hendrick in that deeper position could be our best XI. Though Knight needs to get away from Derby and go to a team where he can be moulded into a proper centre midfielder.

Rooney hasn't a clue what to do with him but couldn't afford to lose the pace and intensity he brought to the starting XI so started him in different positions.

One good thing I've notice with Knight in some games for Derby was his ability to carry the ball up the field from deep when he won it. Often drawing free kicks from being fouled. Think he can be the player that Kenny hopes Molumby to be for us.

Up front I wanna see Idah and Robinson get game time together, but think Kenny fancies a striker like Connolly who'll always look to get in behind defenders with Idah playing the McGoldrick role.

Think long term Idah and Parrott could form a good partnership for us up top in that formation.

I think the team left foot picked will be close enough to the starting XI vs Portugal assuming they are all fit and firing, but for the Azerbaijan and Luxembourg games, I think we will need to get an extra attacking player on the pitch. I like Knight, but he's a better (and importantly younger) version of Molumby imo, lots of energy, pace, work rate etc, but I don't see goals or assists yet in his game, maybe they'll come, but to me he looks like a lad who can provide legs in midfield alongside either Cullen or Hendrick (or both against tough opposition), he can perhaps carry the ball from deep, but I'm still not sure he adds a lot to the offensive side of our game (yet).

For Azer and Lux, if we stick with a 5-3-2 as suggested, then imo we have to perm 2 of Cullen, Hendrick and Knight with somebody who might grab you a goal or create a goal from the attacking midfield area, maybe a Mc Grath, who has at least scored plenty at SPL level (although I don't personally see a great deal of vision in his game - haven't seen heaps of him to be fair). We really don't have great options in that offensive midfield role, maybe Ronan can develop further but these games will come too early. It remains a real problem position for us - where is the next Wes?

For that reason, I'd be inclined to field a kind of 5-2-2-1 with probably Robinson and Connolly a little deeper to the right and left respectively of Idah. Connolly for all that he exasperates at times (and he needs to kop himself on) remains one of our best goalscoring prospects and while he's clearly quite immature, he is still ahead of Parrott in terms of his development. Parrott for me looks like a #9 - it's either him or Idah in the team imo and Idah showed enough over the last window to suggest he's well ahead of him currently. Obafemi and Scully could represent options for the Robinson and Connolly positions going forward, but the next games probably come too early for them. I actually wouldn't be adverse to the idea of Parrott dropping down to the U-21s for their campaign, he just doesn't look close to ready for me. Don't get me wrong, I like the lad and think he has something, but it might actually help his development to be the main man for the U-21s campaign (and the U-21's need a striker if they are going to contend in their group). Collins can provide the back up for Idah. Also, the next 2 windows are both 2 game ones (and one game is a friendly where we should be giving fringe players a run out imo), so they shouldn't present the same rotation challenges (and I think that has been overlooked somewhat by commentators) that we struggled with in the last 2 groups of games.

Longer term, Coleman will be 33 in October, so 34 and a half when the Euro 24 qualifiers begin in earnest in March 2023 and 35 when the tournament proper kicks off. Much and all as I love Seamus, given his persistent niggly injury issues since his leg break, I think it's highly unlikely he will remain first choice at Everton past this season. RB/RWB is a particularly demanding position physically. Hope I'm wrong of course. In that instance, we move Doherty to RWB and hope the likes of Manning, Scales or Bagan can develop into an international quality LWB.

Nobody is suggesting that he should be phased out. This non-argument stems from the final paragraph above, where I suggested that perhaps we cant automatically assume he will be our starting RB in perpetuity.
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Are we talking about phasing Coleman out? I would rather be talking about how we can prolong his time with us as much as possible. 

Coleman was slow enough to get back up to full steam and Doherty was in good form for wolves. Coleman has since shown he is not finished at all, recovered his form at club level and for us, showed he has the most quality of the squad. Bad mistake vs. Azerbaijan aside.

Even in attack his ability to do the right thing moving forward compared to our midfielders is really noticeable 

Coleman's own legs might not hold up as he gets older and possibly picks up more injuries. Think you could move him to the centre of a back three, with Omobamidele, O'Shea, Egan or whoever either side of him but that seems to suit Duffy more having two better technical defenders either side of him.

Plus he could be back in the LOI when his contract is up in 2023 and turning 35. Think he's always said he wants to play with Sligo again before he retires.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 3:46pm

Coleman's own legs might not hold up as he gets older and possibly picks up more injuries. Think you could move him to the centre of a back three, with Omobamidele, O'Shea, Egan or whoever either side of him but that seems to suit Duffy more having two better technical defenders either side of him.

Plus he could be back in the LOI when his contract is up in 2023 and turning 35. Think he's always said he wants to play with Sligo again before he retires.

I dont think the CB experiment has really worked out with Seamus at all, it just doesnt suit him and he's not great in the air (in fact I thought Doherty looked better as a CB in the game he played there), but maybe he could grow in to the right sided CB role. However, I'd really hope the likes of Omabamidele and/or Nathan Collins continue to develop so that it's not necessary to shoehorn him in. We look pretty strong in the central defensive area moving forward when you factor in the likes of O'Shea, Mc Guinness etc.
Idah Dream!
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Wise to recall the wisdom of our greatest ever manager:

"It's just common sense in football that when you need a result you've got to get the ball into the 18-yard box

. "You've just got to get the ball in there as often as you can, knowing that something will happen for you as long as you're working hard to as to make sure their lads aren't winning the ball comfortably."

Watch our 2012 games again. We can’t bully players in their own half like we used to. Don’t have the players and the competition has moved on - players are stronger and have the technical ability to get out of trouble 

Also, we are creating more chances now than we did under O’Neill or Trap. 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 3:54pm

I dont think the CB experiment has really worked out with Seamus at all, it just doesnt suit him and he's not great in the air (in fact I thought Doherty looked better as a CB in the game he played there), but maybe he could grow in to the right sided CB role. However, I'd really hope the likes of Omabamidele and/or Nathan Collins continue to develop so that it's not necessary to shoehorn him in. We look pretty strong in the central defensive area moving forward when you factor in the likes of O'Shea, Mc Guinness etc.

He'll also be turning 36, turns 35 a month after next year's nation's league which I wouldn't mind if he didn't play. Not throw him to the scrap heap but the Euros will be his last campaign, and we've four games in 12 days next June. No point Coleman playing that summer when he can be at home resting.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 4:00pm

He'll also be turning 36, turns 35 a month after next year's nation's league which I wouldn't mind if he didn't play. Not throw him to the scrap heap but the Euros will be his last campaign, and we've four games in 12 days next June. No point Coleman playing that summer when he can be at home resting.

Who are we talking about here? Coleman will be 33 in 3 weeks time, Doherty and Duffy are 29, both turn 30 in Jan 2022. Coleman will be 35, pushing 36 when the Euros kick off in June 2024. Doherty will only be 32, ditto Duffy. Egan will be a sprightly 31.

Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 4:09pm

Who are we talking about here? Coleman will be 33 in 3 weeks time, Doherty and Duffy are 29, both turn 30 in Jan 2022. Coleman will be 35, pushing 36 when the Euros kick off in June 2024. Doherty will only be 32, ditto Duffy. Egan will be a sprightly 31.

Coleman, keep thinking he's born in 89 instead of 88. Wing back is a problem area for us with lads pushing on. Stevens turns 33 during the Euro qualifiers and has never really produced for us, and McClean turns 34 during the Euro qualifiers.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 4:25pm

Coleman, keep thinking he's born in 89 instead of 88. Wing back is a problem area for us with lads pushing on. Stevens turns 33 during the Euro qualifiers and has never really produced for us, and McClean turns 34 during the Euro qualifiers.

Yep Stevens will be 34, Mc Clean 35 when Euro 24 kicks off. LWB we actually have a few ok looking prospects coming through - Manning 25, Scales 23, Bagan 19, but RWB beyond the 29yo Doherty looks worrying, we have Christie at 28 (who cant make the match day squad at Fulham currently), and after that Mc Namara, in and out at Millwall at 22, O'Connor in and out at at Tranmere at 21 and Lyons at Bohs at 21. Cant think of any other 20+ developing RBs. Maybe we can convert an Ogbene type like Derby are trying to with Ebosele.
Idah Dream!
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 4:26pm

Wouldnt that make him younger then? LOL
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 4:30pm

Yep Stevens will be 34, Mc Clean 35 when Euro 24 kicks off. LWB we actually have a few ok looking prospects coming through - Manning 25, Scales 23, Bagan 19, but RWB beyond the 29yo Doherty looks worrying, we have Christie at 28 (who cant make the match day squad at Fulham currently), and after that Mc Namara, in and out at Millwall at 22, O'Connor in and out at at Tranmere at 21 and Lyons at Bohs at 21. Cant think of any other 20+ developing RBs. Maybe we can convert an Ogbene type like Derby are trying to with Ebosele.

Tbf McNamara is very much considered first choice at Millwall but is injured at the moment. Ebosele is an obvious one and Kioso at Mk Dons on loan from Luton (bizarre he was left go on loan) is another one to keep an eye on. Think Coleman/Doc have another few years left in them a while so we have some breathing space. LWB is where I want new blood coming in shortly. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Wouldnt that make him younger then? LOL

FFS I'm confusing myself at this stage, too much staring at computer screens and numbers all day at work. And my own birthday is in '89 FFS and still made a balls of it   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 370371372373374 735>
  Share Topic