Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stephen Kenny

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 369370371372373 382>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/stephens-win-ratio-as-ireland-manager-is-at-625pc-the-lowest-next-to-that-i-can-remember-was-35pc-40853623.html

Ray Houghton publicly criticises Kenny's performance as manager.
Cue the ex-footballers are idiots comments to follow.....

Cant read the article but does he say anything constructive/suggest an alternative? Does he state that Kenny should be sacked?

Click on the link and then remove the the following characters in the URL - %20/

For some reason the forum adds that to the URL.

Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 4:22pm

He basically gives a list of criticisms - results, style of play, the four year plan etc. In his defence he says that he has been hampered by the poor standard of the League of Ireland and the poor standard of players coming through. He says a final decision to make the change (or not presumably) should be taken at the end of the campaign.

Results - Fair enough results have been shocking
Style of Play - ?????????? What style does he advocate, hit and hope?
4 Year Plan - What's the problem? There was no quick fix available imo

Tbf all Irish managers have been hampered by the standard of the League of Ireland (which is the result of decades of mismanagement by the FAI) - there are small signs of improvement with the new structures and Brexit may perversely help improve the domestic game. None of this is particularly relevant to Kenny's tenure to date.
Poor standard of players coming through - This I just dont agree with, we have some very good young players coming through as evidenced by our performance in the Toulon tournament and the last U-21 qualifying campaign. We had 6 players 25 or under starting away (2 more came off the bench) to Portugal and they were unlucky to lose the game. Now they are probably not quite ready yet, but I think the standard is pretty good tbf.

Agree that a decision should be taken at the end of the campaign, but there are 3 options at that stage 1) Sack 2) New contract or 3) Give him until the end of his contract (post 4 of the 6 NL qualifiers) and then decide.

Sounds like he hasnt said a whole lot really!
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/stephens-win-ratio-as-ireland-manager-is-at-625pc-the-lowest-next-to-that-i-can-remember-was-35pc-40853623.html

Cue the ex-footballers are idiots comments to follow.....

Cant read the article but does he say anything constructive/suggest an alternative? Does he state that Kenny should be sacked?

Click on the link and then remove the the following characters in the URL - %20/

For some reason the forum adds that to the URL.

Thanks Horse - tbf to Houghton he was reasonably measured in his criticism - he didnt really stick the boot in, like several others.
Idah Dream!
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 6:01pm
ah lads 30 new posts going around in circles again!!!
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 6:38pm

I like the way Ray constantly called out JD over the years … oh wait I must have imagined that 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 6:51pm
Ray was on the payroll.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
9fingers View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Ray was on the payroll.
Is he still? 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 9:09pm

I wouldn't have said the football we played under Kerr was the worst we ever played - or anywhere close to it.

In terms of style of play our worst was Charlton, Trapattoni, O'Neill towards the end and McCarthy 2.0.

In terms of results our worst was Hand just before Charlton came in, Staunton and Kenny.

The 3 managers that actually got us to a major tournament.

LOLLOLClap
That's how you fight loneliness,
You laugh at every joke,
Drag your blanket blindly,
Fill your heart with smoke,
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I wouldn't have said the football we played under Kerr was the worst we ever played - or anywhere close to it.

In terms of style of play our worst was Charlton, Trapattoni, O'Neill towards the end and McCarthy 2.0.

In terms of results our worst was Hand just before Charlton came in, Staunton and Kenny.

The 3 managers that actually got us to a major tournament.

Charlton results from summer 95 on were horrific. 

He still had a decen rside on paper.

LOLLOLClap
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 9:47pm
@B6 6HE

Edit your post as it appears you're quoting me on your own post Thumbs Up
That's how you fight loneliness,
You laugh at every joke,
Drag your blanket blindly,
Fill your heart with smoke,
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Who's paying you ? Robbie Keane Smile He has the money!

Kenny has to beat Lux and Azer to continue in the job.   This organisation does not tolerate failure number 1.

A View to a Bond Baddie: Ernst Stavro Blofeld | the m0vie blog

TP you are always one of the first to turn on any manager if I remember correctly. Is there not a time to try give a manager a bit more time before writing them completely off. Chopping and changing has not really bringing us forward either. We have been finishing 3rd or 4th since 2004 campaign, that's 75% 
The second place in 2016 was a bit flukey too. 

For me, 3rd place is an acceptable return from this group.
4th is not great as we finished below our seeding but as a first campaign its ok but obviously it can't go on like that.
5th would be a disaster and question to be asked as results will have gone terrible in last few games but would also depend on the performances 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 9:54pm

In fairness, TJ has never turned his back on Trap
El Puto Amo
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 9:55pm
Anything worse than third would have been seen as unthinkable at the beginning of the group. If he can pull out third by the end there might be an argument in his favour, but otherwise he'll need to be replaced. Finishing below either Luxembourg or Azerbaijan would not have been acceptable under any previous manager and it can't be seen as acceptable here either.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Who's paying you ? Robbie Keane Smile He has the money!

Kenny has to beat Lux and Azer to continue in the job.   This organisation does not tolerate failure number 1.

A View to a Bond Baddie: Ernst Stavro Blofeld | the m0vie blog

TP you are always one of the first to turn on any manager if I remember correctly. Is there not a time to try give a manager a bit more time before writing them completely off. Chopping and changing has not really bringing us forward either. We have been finishing 3rd or 4th since 2004 campaign, that's 75% 
The second place in 2016 was a bit flukey too. 

For me, 3rd place is an acceptable return from this group.
4th is not great as we finished below our seeding but as a first campaign its ok but obviously it can't go on like that.
5th would be a disaster and question to be asked as results will have gone terrible in last f

ew games but would also depend on the performances 

Shows how well Trap did in first two campaigns. Finished second having been seeded  third each time.1 defeat in firsr 20 group games.

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 10:06pm

Anything worse than third would have been seen as unthinkable at the beginning of the group. If he can pull out third by the end there might be an argument in his favour, but otherwise he'll need to be replaced. Finishing below either Luxembourg or Azerbaijan would not have been acceptable under any previous manager and it can't be seen as acceptable here either.
It’s massively important that we finish 3rd. Crucial for the future of Irish football. The differences between 4th and 3rd are huge.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

It’s massively important that we finish 3rd. Crucial for the future of Irish football. The differences between 4th and 3rd are huge.

Its the difference between Kenny his job or not.

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

You on the FAI board?
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 10:21pm

Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

You on the FAI board?

He'll hardly be kept on if we finish below Luxembourg 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 369370371372373 382>
  Share Topic