Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 369370371372373 735>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Someone would have to have access to the contract or someone with access would have to leak it.  That wouldnt happen would it 😀😀😀

I'm just asking in general terms what the situation would be. 

I assume there would be a pay off if he's sacked before the contract expires. 

Maybe unless there is a clause to review it post the World Cup campaign.  The pay off may be minimal also.  Then again considering who was in charge at the time the fai will probably have to pay JD 1million if they sack Kenny and 2 million if they keep him on. 

AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 6:19pm

Someone would have to have access to the contract or someone with access would have to leak it.  That wouldnt happen would it 😀😀😀

Maybe unless there is a clause to review it post the World Cup campaign.  The pay off may be minimal also.  Then again considering who was in charge at the time the fai will probably have to pay JD 1million if they sack Kenny and 2 million if they keep him on. 

LOL
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 6:29pm

LOL

I suppose there could be a clause in it regarding post world cup campaign but I doubt it tbh. 

It still wouldn't  surprise me if the FAI pulled the plug on Kenny if we don't get a 4 point return against Azerbaijan &, Luxembourg. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

LOL
Absolutely nothing would surprise me with that shyster. LOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 6:51am

LOL

I suppose there could be a clause in it regarding post world cup campaign but I doubt it tbh. 

It still wouldn't  surprise me if the FAI pulled the plug on Kenny if we don't get a 4 point return against Azerbaijan &, Luxembourg. 

4 points? A total of 5 points out of 12 against the two bottom seeds??
The bar is that low?
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 9:22am

If the FAI sacked Kenny at the end of this campaign before his contract is up next summer, is there automatically a pay off triggered? 

Surely one for the thick thread.
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 10:56pm
I actually think that if he doesn’t finish ahead of Luxembourg in the group he’ll get the sack regardless.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 11:24am
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

I actually think that if he doesn’t finish ahead of Luxembourg in the group he’ll get the sack regardless.

Luxembourg were 4th seeds and we were third, is finishing one place below your seeding an automatic sackable offence? Of course we would love things to click straight away and over-perform our seeding. But like anything in life, sometimes you need to take a step backwards before you can move forwards.

At least that is how I see it. It wouldn't be ideal but i could live with not finishing 3rd if performances improve further and we look like we are going somewhere. 
If we stink out the place in the remaining games then of course there is a question to be asked. 

I actually just did a quick check on our past performances versus seeding and it is interesting how some campaigns we would have considered as good (like euro 2016) we actually under-performed our seeding whereas others like (2008 under Stan), we actually overachieved! 

Euro 2020 Qualifiers:
  • Started in Pot 3
  • Finished 3nd
  • Result: Finished as per seeding
WC 2018 Qualifiers:
  • Started in Pot 4
  • Finished 2nd
  • Result: Overachieved
Euro 2016 Qualifiers:
  • Started in Pot 2
  • Finished 3rd
  • Result: Underachieved (but still qualified via playoff)
WC 2014 Qualifiers:
  • Started in Pot 3
  • Finished 4th
  • Result: Underachieved 
Euro 2012 Qualifiers:
  • Started in Pot 3
  • Finished 2
WC 2010 Qualifiers:
  • Started in Pot 3
  • Finished 2
Euro 2008
  • Started in Pot 4
  • Finished 3

Edited by t_rAndy - 21 Sep 2021 at 11:26am
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 12:35pm
Luxembourg were the lowest ranked side in the fourth seeds, if we can't get a result against them, that will be a massive under achievement
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 1:06pm
Everyone will have their own take of course, but I would say this would be our first 11 as it stands in a 532. Looks like the foundations of a new team but the problem areas increase the further up the field you go.

Bazunu - starting his career in L1 and looks promising.

Coleman - premier league player with excellent experience 

Duffy - premier league player with excellent experience 
Egan - vastly experienced with premier league experience 
Oshea - couple of years experience and probably one of the best defenders in the championship 

Doherty - highly experienced premier league player but struggling of late 

Knight - starting out his career in the championship and looks promising 
Cullen - new lease of life with anderlecht and looks good
Hendrick - highly experienced but struggling of late 

Idah - starting his career, needs more time 
Robinson - championship player and looks a good player 

Playing a teenager from a League 1 team is a risk but this lad looks good, still going to make a mistake but he'll get better

Defence looks better than it has for a long time now that oshea, omobamidele and collins are coming through.

Midfield is a problem area, lots of energy but lacking any attacking class going forward, hopefully knight can fill that gap.

Forward - critical area for ireland, struggling to kick the ball into the net

planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

So, according to you, FIFA rankings should reflect "tactics, styles of play,  possession stats,  player availability,  squad depth and virus restrictions". Otherwise it's unfair to Stephen Kenny. That's very funny.

No what's funny is that's what you believe. I said FIFA rankings reflect results only. A win against San Marino counts the same as a win over Germany. There's nothing wrong with that, but as we haven't got many results in recent years, that's going to be reflected in the rankings. This is an issue going back long before Kenny took the job. The last group was much easier than this, it gave us 2 chances to get out of it automatically, and we didn't get out of it. Kenny had no say in any of that. 

If we somehow sneak a win out of the last couple of games, the narrative is already known. "2 wins in 17 Kenny Out". This group is over from an Ireland perspective. In reality it was over after the first 2 games. All that is left is a handful of dead rubbers to bring through new players and continue the rebuilding work. If we win them great, if not it's part of the learning curve for this squad and this manager going into the next campaign. They are not do or die ties that decide if we're going to Doha or not, and shouldn't be treated as such. Obviously it would be better to still be in contention to get there, but only 13 countries from Europe are going to go, and much better Ireland teams than this one haven't got there. So the rebuilding continues until such time as we're ready to reach the standard required. 

Edited by planning - 21 Sep 2021 at 1:56pm
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Everyone will have their own take of course, but I would say this would be our first 11 as it stands in a 532. Looks like the foundations of a new team but the problem areas increase the further up the field you go.

Oshea - couple of years experience and probably one of the best defenders in the championship 

Playing a teenager from a League 1 team is a risk but this lad looks good, still going to make a mistake but he'll get better

Defence looks better than it has for a long time now that oshea, omobamidele and collins are coming through.

Midfield is a problem area, lots of energy but lacking any attacking class going forward, hopefully knight can fill that gap.

Think our starting XI against Portugal with Knight replacing Hendrick in that deeper position could be our best XI. Though Knight needs to get away from Derby and go to a team where he can be moulded into a proper centre midfielder.

Rooney hasn't a clue what to do with him but couldn't afford to lose the pace and intensity he brought to the starting XI so started him in different positions.

One good thing I've notice with Knight in some games for Derby was his ability to carry the ball up the field from deep when he won it. Often drawing free kicks from being fouled. Think he can be the player that Kenny hopes Molumby to be for us.

Up front I wanna see Idah and Robinson get game time together, but think Kenny fancies a striker like Connolly who'll always look to get in behind defenders with Idah playing the McGoldrick role.

Think long term Idah and Parrott could form a good partnership for us up top in that formation.

Edited by J89 - 21 Sep 2021 at 1:53pm
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 2:25pm

Wise to recall the wisdom of our greatest ever manager:

"It's just common sense in football that when you need a result you've got to get the ball into the 18-yard box

. "You've just got to get the ball in there as often as you can, knowing that something will happen for you as long as you're working hard to as to make sure their lads aren't winning the ball comfortably."
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Think our starting XI against Portugal with Knight replacing Hendrick in that deeper position could be our best XI. Though Knight needs to get away from Derby and go to a team where he can be moulded into a proper centre midfielder.

Rooney hasn't a clue what to do with him but couldn't afford to lose the pace and intensity he brought to the starting XI so started him in different positions.

One good thing I've notice with Knight in some games for Derby was his ability to carry the ball up the field from deep when he won it. Often drawing free kicks from being fouled. Think he can be the player that Kenny hopes Molumby to be for us.

Up front I wanna see Idah and Robinson get game time together, but think Kenny fancies a striker like Connolly who'll always look to get in behind defenders with Idah playing the McGoldrick role.

Think long term Idah and Parrott could form a good partnership for us up top in that formation.

I think the team left foot picked will be close enough to the starting XI vs Portugal assuming they are all fit and firing, but for the Azerbaijan and Luxembourg games, I think we will need to get an extra attacking player on the pitch. I like Knight, but he's a better (and importantly younger) version of Molumby imo, lots of energy, pace, work rate etc, but I don't see goals or assists yet in his game, maybe they'll come, but to me he looks like a lad who can provide legs in midfield alongside either Cullen or Hendrick (or both against tough opposition), he can perhaps carry the ball from deep, but I'm still not sure he adds a lot to the offensive side of our game (yet).

For Azer and Lux, if we stick with a 5-3-2 as suggested, then imo we have to perm 2 of Cullen, Hendrick and Knight with somebody who might grab you a goal or create a goal from the attacking midfield area, maybe a Mc Grath, who has at least scored plenty at SPL level (although I don't personally see a great deal of vision in his game - haven't seen heaps of him to be fair). We really don't have great options in that offensive midfield role, maybe Ronan can develop further but these games will come too early. It remains a real problem position for us - where is the next Wes?

For that reason, I'd be inclined to field a kind of 5-2-2-1 with probably Robinson and Connolly a little deeper to the right and left respectively of Idah. Connolly for all that he exasperates at times (and he needs to kop himself on) remains one of our best goalscoring prospects and while he's clearly quite immature, he is still ahead of Parrott in terms of his development. Parrott for me looks like a #9 - it's either him or Idah in the team imo and Idah showed enough over the last window to suggest he's well ahead of him currently. Obafemi and Scully could represent options for the Robinson and Connolly positions going forward, but the next games probably come too early for them. I actually wouldn't be adverse to the idea of Parrott dropping down to the U-21s for their campaign, he just doesn't look close to ready for me. Don't get me wrong, I like the lad and think he has something, but it might actually help his development to be the main man for the U-21s campaign (and the U-21's need a striker if they are going to contend in their group). Collins can provide the back up for Idah. Also, the next 2 windows are both 2 game ones (and one game is a friendly where we should be giving fringe players a run out imo), so they shouldn't present the same rotation challenges (and I think that has been overlooked somewhat by commentators) that we struggled with in the last 2 groups of games.

Longer term, Coleman will be 33 in October, so 34 and a half when the Euro 24 qualifiers begin in earnest in March 2023 and 35 when the tournament proper kicks off. Much and all as I love Seamus, given his persistent niggly injury issues since his leg break, I think it's highly unlikely he will remain first choice at Everton past this season. RB/RWB is a particularly demanding position physically. Hope I'm wrong of course. In that instance, we move Doherty to RWB and hope the likes of Manning, Scales or Bagan can develop into an international quality LWB.
Idah Dream!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 2:36pm
If Coleman is fit - he should be playing. He's arguably our best player.

If a better player comes along then great. This seems to be working for Italy with Bonucci abd Chiellini.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

If a better player comes along then great. This seems to be working for Italy with Bonucci abd Chiellini.

Arguably? No question.

He's on my all time XI
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 2:44pm

Both are centre backs, a much easier position to play well in to your 30s. I'm not saying Coleman cant and obviously if he remains first choice in the PL, he's going to continue to be selected, I just think its unlikely given his regular niggly injuries since the leg break. I wouldn't be planning a team for the Euro campaign around a 34/35yo Coleman.
Idah Dream!
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Both are centre backs, a much easier position to play well in to your 30s. I'm not saying Coleman cant and obviously if he remains first choice in the PL, he's going to continue to be selected, I just think its unlikely given his regular niggly injuries since the leg break. I wouldn't be planning a team for the Euro campaign around a 34/35yo Coleman.

He can play right side of a central 3 as he ages

Doherty rwb
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 369370371372373 735>
  Share Topic