You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stephen Kenny

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 365366367368369 419>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Neil Lennon, Roy Keane, Robbie Keane or Chris Hughton would not be adequate replacements.

Try again.

Remind  me again what level Kenny managed at? He has a had a few sackings also.

You honestly think Kenny is a better manager than Chris Hughton? Do you actually know that little about football? 

Would you consider John Caulfield an adequate replacement? Of course not. But.....

Won the Double with City on a substantially smaller budget than Kenny had at Dundalk.

Caulfield had a massive budget at Cork, and it's a big part of the reason they're in the first division at the moment.

Chris Hughton is just a name that people are throwing around because he's on the verge of getting the sack and possibly being interested due to being a former player and assistant manager. Ask any Brighton fan if they'd take him back instead of Potter and see what the answer will be.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Sponsored Links

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

About 100 oages of posts throughout this international window and not one poster who wants Kenny sacked has come up with a viable replacement LOL

I'm happy to give Kenny another campaign at the moment. But we need to make a statement in our next few games. Managing players fitness, like he did against Azerbaijan, won't be a valid excuse next time, as we'll only have 2 games, with 1 being a friendly against Qatar. Likewise for the following window with 2 qualifiers. Portugal is a free hit, so he'll be judged (and should be judged) on the games against Azerbaijan and Luxembourg.

I'm sure most of the posters/fans who are supporting Kenny at the moment are doing so because of what he's trying to change at the moment,  rather than thinking Kenny is the only manager who can do this. 
Viable alternative to SK is a bit of a red herring to be honest. You are making an assumption that we can only attract a certain type of manager and we have no chance in getting A,B or C. Who thought we would get a manager of the calibre of Trap at the time or that a lower english championship team could get Bielsa. You'll never know until you ask. 

In hindsight, we should never have been paying the sort of money that Trap, O'Neill and McCarthy (2nd reign) earned, even if it was financed by Denis O'Brien. It was setting an unmanageable precedent, and resulted in the association having to pay McCarthy nearly 2 million for Kenny to take over. I know this is down to Delaney but the point about the amount they were paid still stands.

Our budget prevents us from attracting a marquee name, and realistically, that's the way it should be for a nation our size. The money we paid to managers was outrageous.

When I say viable alternative, I mean some one in our budget who can be an upgrade on Kenny, while also having the same commitment to bringing players through.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Fruice View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 2:40pm

About 100 oages of posts throughout this international window and not one poster who wants Kenny sacked has come up with a viable replacement LOL

I'm happy to give Kenny another campaign at the moment. But we need to make a statement in our next few games. Managing players fitness, like he did against Azerbaijan, won't be a valid excuse next time, as we'll only have 2 games, with 1 being a friendly against Qatar. Likewise for the following window with 2 qualifiers. Portugal is a free hit, so he'll be judged (and should be judged) on the games against Azerbaijan and Luxembourg.

I'm sure most of the posters/fans who are supporting Kenny at the moment are doing so because of what he's trying to change at the moment,  rather than thinking Kenny is the only manager who can do this. 
Viable alternative to SK is a bit of a red herring to be honest. You are making an assumption that we can only attract a certain type of manager and we have no chance in getting A,B or C. Who thought we would get a manager of the calibre of Trap at the time or that a lower english championship team could get Bielsa. You'll never know until you ask. 

In hindsight, we should never have been paying the sort of money that Trap, O'Neill and McCarthy (2nd reign) earned, even if it was financed by Denis O'Brien. It was setting an unmanageable precedent, and resulted in the association having to pay McCarthy nearly 2 million for Kenny to take over. I know this is down to Delaney but the point about the amount they were paid still stands.

Our budget prevents us from attracting a marquee name, and realistically, that's the way it should be for a nation our size. The money we paid to managers was outrageous.

When I say viable alternative, I mean some one in our budget who can be an upgrade on Kenny, while also having the same commitment to bringing players through.
I don’t get this commitment on bringing through players he has no one else who ever was in charge now was going to be bringing these lads through 

Edited by Fruice - 09 Sep 2021 at 2:41pm
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 2:54pm

There have been plenty of alternatives offered.

We have squad based primarily in the Football league.  Therefore, we should have a proven successful football league manager who knows the ropes. 

Kenny should have had to prove himself at that level before getting this gig.

I reiterate this point. Who here thinks any middling football league club offers Kenny a contract when he is relieved of his duties here?

Robbie Keane will be the next Ireland manager if Kenny is sacked as he is still on the payroll and the fai have no money, they have had half filled stadiums twice in two years and have no main sponsor. 

Robbie could be an excellent manager nobody knows, but he has no experience either. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
orourkeda View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 2:57pm

There are viable alternatives. Plausible and realistic candidates exist. They may not be household names but they exist. Unless we employ a financial genius then this is something we just might have to get used to.

As things stand, I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Mick McCarthy were priced out of the market for the Ireland job. That's not to say he'd be in line but I'm talking about candidates of similar caliber.

The FAI now have no choice but to cut their cloth to suit their measure and that includes employing a manager within certain and far more stringent budgetary constraints.

I very much doubt that much of a dent has been put in that 55 miliIon euro debt and that will be a millstone around the FAI' testicle bag for decades to come.

Edited by orourkeda - 09 Sep 2021 at 2:58pm
orourkeda View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

There have been plenty of alternatives offered.

We have squad based primarily in the Football league.  Therefore, we should have a proven successful football league manager who knows the ropes. 

Kenny should have had to prove himself at that level before getting this gig.

I reiterate this point. Who here thinks any middling football league club offers Kenny a contract when he is relieved of his duties here?

Robbie Keane will be the next Ireland manager if Kenny is sacked as he is still on the payroll and the fai have no money, they have had half filled stadiums twice in two years and have no main sponsor. 

Robbie could be an excellent manager nobody knows, but he has no experience either. 

Big smell of "I'm the gaffer" off that.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

I don’t get this commitment on bringing through players he has no one else who ever was in charge now was going to be bringing these lads through 

Rubbish he could easily be picking the following team for
The last few games. 

Randolph 

Coleman Duffy Egan Clark

Doherty Hendrick Arter McClean 

Hourihane 

Collins

Subs in games could be 

Shane Long
Robbie Brady 
Cyrus Christie

AKA pedantic kunt
Het-field View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 3:19pm

Robbie could be an excellent manager nobody knows. 

Regardless of the fact that he has been in the media for other reasons, Ryan Giggs actually did excellent work with Wales in advance of qualifying for the European Championships. Large number of new players identified and capped, and this will keep Wales competitive for years to come. Giggs' managerial CV before he got the job wasnt particularly impressive. One assistant job, and a short interim stint, both at a club where he was revered for what he did on the pitch. Giggs was fortunate in that he had some decent players at his disposal, but he was the first to cap the likes of Ampadu, Roberts, Brooks, Moore etc.

I dont rule out the idea that Keane could be a superb manager. He is undoubtedly a legend in the eyes of the players who would have watched him bang home goals for Ireland. There are also players who are there who played with Keane in the latter years of his international career, so there is an existing relationship there. Hence, it might be a very positive mutual relationship.

I'm not shilling for Kenny to be replaced. Far from it, but Keane could actually prove to be an interesting selection if he chooses to do similar to what Kenny is doing.
Het-field View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

The last few games. 

And the reality is if he was getting the same results picking a team like that it would only be a small amount of fans who would be calling for him to stay.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 3:45pm

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 09 Sep 2021 at 3:45pm
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

[QUOTE=Artie Ziff] 

Far from it, but Keane could actually prove to be an interesting selection if he chooses to do similar to what Kenny is doing.

Can't see Keane make it as a coach, never mind a manager.

But sure he'd have to tear up his contract with the fai and go get himself a coaching job to prove me wrong. Not many offers?

Edited by Wheelo - 09 Sep 2021 at 3:47pm
“ Borderline Covid denier and anti anti-racism” - so I am told!

DROGHEDA TIL I DIE!!
Bandwagon View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 3:49pm

Robbie could be an excellent manager nobody knows. 

Regardless of the fact that he has been in the media for other reasons, Ryan Giggs actually did excellent work with Wales in advance of qualifying for the European Championships. Large number of new players identified and capped, and this will keep Wales competitive for years to come. Giggs' managerial CV before he got the job wasnt particularly impressive. One assistant job, and a short interim stint, both at a club where he was revered for what he did on the pitch. Giggs was fortunate in that he had some decent players at his disposal, but he was the first to cap the likes of Ampadu, Roberts, Brooks, Moore etc.

I dont rule out the idea that Keane could be a superb manager. He is undoubtedly a legend in the eyes of the players who would have watched him bang home goals for Ireland. There are also players who are there who played with Keane in the latter years of his international career, so there is an existing relationship there. Hence, it might be a very positive mutual relationship.

I'm not shilling for Kenny to be replaced. Far from it, but Keane could actually prove to be an interesting selection if he chooses to do similar to what Kenny is doing.

He could be, but he has done f**k all in coaching/management to even be entertained for the position.

Giggs worked behind the scenes for years with the academy while doing his coaching badges as a player At United. He also got to work under and have a very close relationship with one of the greatest managers of all time for over 20 years who he had the chance to learn a lot from.

Robbie on the other hand has done very little. Interim manager in India for 3 weeks, 9 months as assistant at Middlesboro and give or take 12 months with Ireland as an assistant where we played 10 games. All unsuccessful stints.

Needs to put the work in like former team mates Jim Goodwin or Lee Carsley have.

Following Keane on Instagram while he was with Ireland and Middlesboro too he was still trying very hard to act like one of the lads in all the banter. Playing pranks and just messing all the time. The sort of thing he was shipped out of Spurs for by Redknapp with the Xmas part shenanigans and under Trap drinking beer out of teapots and cups in the hotel with Duffer.

Needs to grow out of that too.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

[QUOTE=Artie Ziff] 

Far from it, but Keane could actually prove to be an interesting selection if he chooses to do similar to what Kenny is doing.

Can't see Keane make it as a coach, never mind a manager.

But sure he'd have to tear up his contract with the fai and go get himself a coaching job to prove me wrong. Not many offers?

Robbie Keane will be our best ever goalscorer for a long time and our most capped player. 

From the outside looking in,  I can't say he has the sensibilities to manage and motivate people, I may very well be wrong of course.

Someone that does strike me as someone who could work his way into management is Glenn Whelan, never really cared for him as a player to be honest but he has been a consummate professional throughout his career, kept himself and his fitness in great shape. Always seemed to be a player younger players could look up to and knew perfectly well what his strengths and weaknesses were.

If I was the Derby country board for example and was given a choice today between say Wayne Rooney or Glenn Whelan I'd have no hesitation.

9fingers View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 4:07pm
Robbie, while being paid by the FAI, was busy coaching The World XI for Soccer Aid while the seniors were in The Aviva & the 21s were in Luxembourg Clap what a guy 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 4:13pm
Reports on Keane's coaching abilities from his time spent at Middlesbrough, and from observation of his drills on the pitch with our forwards while working under McCarthy, are not glowing at all.

I haven't been blown away by his insight while he's doing punditry on the TV either.
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.
Fruice View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

The last few games. 

Randolph 

Coleman Duffy Egan Clark

Doherty Hendrick Arter McClean 

Hourihane 

Collins

Subs in games could be 

Shane Long
Robbie Brady 
Cyrus Christie

Thrash no hope Randolph would be playing half the reason Bazunu is playing because Randolph got injured and the other half is because he hasn’t played in about 8 months.
There is a chance it could be the back 4 and wouldn’t be anything overly wrong with it.

As for the midfield I really don’t think that’s what we would put out half of them hadn’t kicked a ball all season.

Collins is the only one that might be starting long and Brady certainly wouldn’t have played the last 3 games 

So with all that being said there would have obviously been loads of the younger lads playing 

Strazdas View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 4:55pm
Declan Lynch of the Sunday Indo makes the point that Kenny would have capped Grealish and Rice at competitive level very early on in their international careers - hard to disagree with that.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Robbie, while being paid by the FAI, was busy coaching The World XI for Soccer Aid while the seniors were in The Aviva & the 21s were in Luxembourg Clap what a guy 

What else was he meant to do?

The FAI have clearly not dealt with his contractual situation, so he's free to do what he wants. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 365366367368369 419>
  Share Topic