You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 735>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by garretjoseph garretjoseph wrote:

I now understand why a lot of people were barking on about giving the job to Kenny right away. We could have lost every game including the ones against Gibraltar and all Nations League Games and still would have made the playoffs. 

Could have really brought in a ton of young players and got them invaluable experience. Oh well. What could have been. 

Based on the matches I’ve seen underage I’m excited to see what kenny brings to the senior team and who he calls up game 1.

On the plus side, if we fail to qualify via the playoffs Kenny will get a few friendlies in May/June ahead of the Nations League games.
Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 2:25pm
Am I right in thinking he'll be part of the backroom team at the Euros if we qualify. Seem to recall it being mentioned last year when him and Mick were appointed

Edited by Denis Irwin - 24 Nov 2019 at 2:25pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Am I right in thinking he'll be part of the backroom team at the Euros if we qualify. Seem to recall it being mentioned last year when him and Mick were appointed

Can't imagine either party would want any part of that. 
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 3:03pm

I now understand why a lot of people were barking on about giving the job to Kenny right away. We could have lost every game including the ones against Gibraltar and all Nations League Games and still would have made the playoffs. 

Could have really brought in a ton of young players and got them invaluable experience. Oh well. What could have been. 

Based on the matches I’ve seen underage I’m excited to see what kenny brings to the senior team and who he calls up game 1.

It is definitely a valid argument but to counter that point the success kenny has had with the u21s is surely good preparation for the senior job. He now has worked with all the talented young players and he has gained credibility with the fantastic results and style of play. If he took over the senior side immediately and we didn't do as well you'd probably have a few impatient fans piping up about his managerial experience at this level. 6 games in the Nations League is the perfect platform to settle into the job
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 9:49am
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

It is definitely a valid argument but to counter that point the success kenny has had with the u21s is surely good preparation for the senior job. He now has worked with all the talented young players and he has gained credibility with the fantastic results and style of play. If he took over the senior side immediately and we didn't do as well you'd probably have a few impatient fans piping up about his managerial experience at this level. 6 games in the Nations League is the perfect platform to settle into the job

Exactly right. He couldn't have parachuted a load of lads with practically no senior football experience into the senior team 
Nor would he have. He'd have been working with the same basic panel. Said at the time the U21 appointment was more important than the senior appointment because he'd be in charge of developing the players that Mohan and O'Brien had been working wonders with in the age groups below. 

I don't know if double jobbing will be possible when he takes over but if the 21s qualified for their Euros in 2021 then Kenny being in charge for the tournament and sharing that experience with the squad would actually be a positive for the senior team in the long run. 

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 25 Nov 2019 at 9:50am
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
LovelyLiam View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LovelyLiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 11:33pm
Stephen was a guest this evening at the Second Captains live show. Listening to his football philosophy was a breath of fresh air. Doesn’t ever approach a game with a park the bus strategy and always wants to have more possession than the opposition. 

Did still seem disappointed he didn’t get the Ireland job straight away but I think it could be a blessing in disguise. He’s building strong relationships with his future team and has had a lot of time with these players over the past year with 12xU21 matches. 
"They found me in a shop"
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 4:02am
This is an excellent video. Love listening to Kenny talk about football

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
da_launchpad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da_launchpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 2:31pm
The under 21 game on 26th March in Tallaght - what is the story with tickets for this, is it unreserved seating and which stand is best? Only need the 1 ticket
If in doubt just f**k it out!!! Stop the nonsense as Johnny Giles would say
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by da_launchpad da_launchpad wrote:

The under 21 game on 26th March in Tallaght - what is the story with tickets for this, is it unreserved seating and which stand is best? Only need the 1 ticket
ST holders got their email the other day to print their free ticket.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 3:08pm
I didn't think senior games could clash with 21 games 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Kicking off at 5pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 4:19pm

Kicking off at 5pm

It's farcical. Most of the fans who would have attended will be in Bratislava
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Kicking off at 5pm

Kenny knows this and tried\ or is trying to get the game moved.

He also may lose a few players to the senior squad too.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Kicking off at 5pm

Kenny knows this and tried\ or is trying to get the game moved.

He also may lose a few players to the senior squad too.

Tried but UEFA wouldn't budge. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 3:13am
He has transformed the U21s from Noel King and Don Givens disastrous tenures. He obviously has the respect of these young players who in a few years will hopefully be the backbone of the squad. Deserves his chance. Look at Southgate, didnt do much at Boro  apart get relegated and sacked, before getting English U21 job but has brought the young players with him and phased out the old guard in the senior squad.

Edited by PaddyDaCulchie - 07 Feb 2020 at 3:13am
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 3:13am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

This is an excellent video. Love listening to Kenny talk about football

Very interesting, he's a nice, intelligent guy, has achieved a lot, culminating in his management of this U-21 side. As for then post-Euros situation, I remain convinced his appointment to the senior role was more feelgood factor than thought-out process. Why, for instance, has no EPL or Championship club seen his potential?  His only overseas club experience, despite being in his late 40s, was short-lived - in the SPL, where he oversaw Dunfermline's relegation despite a run to the cup final. Dunfermline fans didn't mourn his departure.

If we expect Ireland to be competitive against top nations, surely we need a manager with experience of dealing with elite players on a day-to-day, week-on-week basis and not one who's success is confined to LOI and underage levels. Brian Kerr also was "the people's choice" and that didn't end well. 

I think the job could overwhelm Kenny. He has a lot of fans and I'm one of them - but I'm not letting heart rule head. I believe that's what the FAI have done. 

Yeah, I guess we’ll find out. Honestly, we’ve tried every variation in the last 15 years (ex players, solid club managers, world class super managers) and we’ve had little success. At this stage, it’s a breath of fresh air to have somebody at the helm who can explain their ethos and approach, or talk with an interviewer without being obnoxious or dropping a clanger.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 5:18am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Yes, Declan and Paddy - I believe you reflect what is the majority opinion. I wish him every success. However . . . most new managers are hailed a breath of fresh air. Trapattoni's record elicited great fanfare and optimism, even reports we snatched him from under the noses of England. The goodwill didn't last long; Staunton's new dawn couldn't become a sunset quick enough, MON/Keane looked the goods on paper and it was hailed a new era. Well, it wasn't. Before them . . . Brian Kerr, McCarthy (Mark 1), Eoin Hand etc.

Stephen Kenny will enjoy a honeymoon but we're an impatient lot - and turn like a cut snake. His inexperience will bite him. He's enjoyed the benefit of a particularly good batch of U21s. If we gain two, maybe three, standout contributors from that squad it'll be a good harvest. 

As for Southgate, well, he had experience at the top level as a player. He had a solid career at Palace, Villa and Boro - and less impressively as a manager at Boro, albeit during difficult times. He has 50-plus caps for England. That's better than Kenny's single-figure LOI playing career and his managerial stint in Scotland. LOI success, despite some impressive Euro performances is, relatively speaking, just floss on the CV. Getting promotion from English League 2 would probably count for more. Of course, MON, Trap and McCarthy had experience but, according to the hordes, were/are all failures.

But good luck to Kenny. Maybe his biggest obstacle is the ridiculous expectation of a naive supporter base. 

Southgate's career as a player counts for nothing as a manager. He wasn't a serial winner or at a top club. A lot better players failed as managers, a lot worse players have been great managers. 

I think in Kenny's favour he has bonded with the group of U21s, they play for him and the turn around in the under 21 set up in such a short time with most players still eligible for u21s in next campaign.

Against him is if these young players dont progress quick enough, if he is stuck with a squad of players we have at moment that mighnt buy into his methods or are incapable of doing so.

So in my opinion Kenny needs the senior players he believes will fit into his system to do so, and he needs likes 5 or 6 of the U21s to gradually step up during his first campaign.

I think most people hoping it's like what Southgate has done, out with most of the old guard and in with the U21s he managed. If it works it works, if not then he cant do much worse than we are now. 
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 6:12am
I hope it's not a job too far because if it doesn't work hard to see where to go next. Back to semi-retired conservative managers whose methods are outdated and found out at club level or take another chance on an manager inexperienced at the top level? FAI cant afford or attract a manager in his prime. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 735>
  Share Topic