Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 309310311312313 735>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 11:55pm
Its my opinion that Kenny is cursed.  If that was Jack, Mick or Trap that was a win.  Unlucky Alf strikes again. 
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

what an unlucky manager! He got most things right tonight, the wing back tactics worked perfectly. Connolly was the right call up front with Idah, when most felt Parrott was a shoe in. Bazunu repaid his faith in him too. As did McGrath. To be fair, he has made ballysy calls at times. Needs two wins now to back this up though. If he can galvanise the squad after this sort of heartbreak tonight, I think he'll have us on the right track for the Euro qualifying campaign

He's had no luck at all - lost three WC qualifiers out of three when he could easily have got a result in all three of them. Hopefully we can win against the Azeris on Saturday, it might just start the ball rolling.

Edited by Strazdas - 01 Sep 2021 at 11:58pm
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:08am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Its my opinion that Kenny is cursed.  If that was Jack, Mick or Trap that was a win.  Unlucky Alf strikes again. 

Which top seed did those managers beat away from home? It's not like there wasn't late away heartbreak for them too.. we're quite good at it! 
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:11am
Good plan today - we looked dangerous on the break and really targeted them in the spaces left by them coming forward.. we had a lot of great breaks down the left where there were runs being made through the middle/on the right that just weren't picked out.. I imagine the off-the-ball running was worked on a lot in the training camp and hopefully if it becomes a feature of our play we'll start to see the benefit in terms of chances/goals.. 

First time in a long time that I've seen an Ireland team that actually had a plan of how they were going to move the ball forward and what they were trying to do in order to score goals.. credit to SK and the coaching staff for that.. I'm hopeful that they spent just as much time working on how to break down the packed defence that we're likely to see on Saturday. 

irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:19am
Think it's time 3 posters here where called out ?? 

Edited by irelandfan - 02 Sep 2021 at 12:19am
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:24am
SKs management team seems to be really taking shape, all the messing & comings and goings over the last 18 months could’ve potentially done a lot of damage so credit to these guys coming in & clearly improving us. 

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:31am
Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Which top seed did those managers beat away from home? It's not like there wasn't late away heartbreak for them too.. we're quite good at it! 

Ok but the fact that they had luck on their side.  Big names get luck. Don;t know why but its is true.  The refs also are influenced by who the manager is.

If we had a big name in the dugout we get a win or draw tonight.  That's not a criticism of Kenny.  But refs are influenced by big names. Fact. 

Wasn't a penalty imo.  If Alex Ferguson was out manager the ref wasn't giving it.  If Ronaldo wans,;t taking it itn wasn't being given.

That ref was a f**king joke,  Playing Fergie time for Portugal.  Surprised he didnt do a cartwheel celebration when Ronaldo scored.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 2:07am
this luck talk is bollocks. It's not real. You'll be telling me he's the wrong star sign next.

All a pile of sh*t.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 2:16am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

this luck talk is bollocks. It's not real. You'll be telling me he's the wrong star sign next.

All a pile of sh*t.

Serbia won with a goal in the 86th minute, Luxembourg scored in the 85th min, Portugal in the 96th min. Three one goal margin defeats with very late goals.
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 2:24am
that isn't bad luck, its bad game management.

Bad luck, if it exists, would be goals going in via massive deflections and the like
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 5:16am
It's great to see a manager have a clear tactical plan, and if it hadn't been for poor finishing/decision making from Connolly, we might have scored a couple more.

He spoke during the Euros on OTB that he'd been to the Portugal Germany game and how effective the wing backs were for Germany. The plan was nearly executed to perfection last night.

Give the man time. Results aren't there yet, but we're seeing progress.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 7:12am
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Think it's time 3 posters here where called out ?? 
Off you go ......
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 7:26am
Hugely encouraging performance. It was the perfect approach in that we weighed up how to hurt Portugal but also remained tight at the back, we were bound to cough up a few chances playing against such quality players but couldn't ask for more from players or management.

Saturday is a big game now. We simply have to win. We've performed well in some of the big games under Kenny despite coming away empty handed (Portugal, Serbia, Slovakia), but its the games where we need to be in control and are expected to win that have been the problem. 
SeanyL View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 7:57am
What do people think of Kennys  game management? Against Serbia he bought on Hendrick for Molumby which everyone thought was a strange move at the time.
Last night he keeps a spent Doherty on the pitch and brings on McClean in front of him. No surprise both goals came from down that side. 
Also, there was no point loosing the head once the equaliser went in about trying to get the subs on. If we were waiting 4 minutes to get them on as he says he should have been loosing it a lot earlier ensuring they got on the pitch. 
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

All a pile of sh*t.

Serbia won with a goal in the 86th minute, Luxembourg scored in the 85th min, Portugal in the 96th min. Three one goal margin defeats with very late goals.
penalty against last night was v similar to the one we didn’t get v Serbia when it was 1-1. Both could have gone either way. The covid stuff in run up to Slovakia - that’s not luck.

I expect the bad luck to continue with 3 or 4 starters from last night not available Saturday.
geansaí View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geansaí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

All a pile of sh*t.

Serbia were 3-1 up after 70 minutes or something, we were the one to get the late goal. The better team won that night! And against Luxembourg we didn't do anything on the night to deserve anything.

This was the first impressive display from us in the group where we could feel like we actually deserved something from the game
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 8:37am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

SKs management team seems to be really taking shape, all the messing & comings and goings over the last 18 months could’ve potentially done a lot of damage so credit to these guys coming in & clearly improving us. 

+1 

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 8:38am
Originally posted by SeanyL SeanyL wrote:

What do people think of Kennys  game management? Against Serbia he bought on Hendrick for Molumby which everyone thought was a strange move at the time.
Last night he keeps a spent Doherty on the pitch and brings on McClean in front of him. No surprise both goals came from down that side. 
Also, there was no point loosing the head once the equaliser went in about trying to get the subs on. If we were waiting 4 minutes to get them on as he says he should have been loosing it a lot earlier ensuring they got on the pitch. 

I think it's inhibited by what we have on the bench tbh.

Also, both goals should have been prevented at source; stopping the crosses. McClean was very weak defensively for the 1st and I haven't seen the 2nd goal back yet but I think it's Molumby who stands off the crosser and doesn't make an attempt to put any pressure on. That responsibility lies with the individual players more so than management.

I've seen him mention the free kick that was awarded to Portugal before the equaliser for Cullen's handball. Advantage had been played and the ref still called it back. There was also a dubious corner given to them on their left side, even the Portuguese player seemed surprised to get the decision. We'd have been able to make the subs if it was our goal kick after Cullen's handball/offside incident, which is what I'd say annoys him the most.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 309310311312313 735>
  Share Topic