Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 308309310311312 735>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 3:38pm
Oh yeah because a 1/2 hour flight from England to Ireland  is a real hassle
Sponsored Links

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

If it’s unnecessary, it’s a hassle. If it’s necessary, it isn’t 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Not for an individual it isn't, but from a logistics point of view for a whole team it is. Probably 35 odd UK based players and staff all coming in on different flights from different airports at different times to head to Dublin to meet up, only to all then hop on an another flight the next morning together.  

Needless messing about wasting time and money.

EdisonCavani View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdisonCavani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 4:28pm
covid risk as well them all getting on commercial flights. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 10:07pm
Got his tactis spot on today. We could split hairs on a few things but the team was set up well and very well organised. 

Disappointed to lose the game but this is something that can be built on.

Clearly players that are not playing regularly tired badly in the game. Doherty, connolly, hendrick and idah were running in trickle after the hour.

To highlight some key positives -

Bazunu - 19 years old and was amazing

Coleman and Doherty playing in the same team and were both fantastic

Mcgrath - looked like he's been playing for ireland for years 

Idah - hold up play and running showing a mature performance.

Lots more positives to even list 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 10:08pm
If SK fell into a bucket of tits he’d come out sucking his thumb. Cry
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

LOL

Too fookin true Cry
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Class LOL

If his contract isn’t extended, there’s no denying he’s doing the dirty work that few managers would do. Whoever is manager in 18/24 months will really see benefit of these young lads being encouraged to play a bit of ball, starting to get a good few caps on board before they’re 22/23 and holding their own against the likes of Portugal.

I’d be concerned the level alot of our players are playing at club level. But collectively with Ireland, they appear to be a level above than at club level. Encouraging 
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 10:35pm
If he get 2 wins in the next week, that'll get him a new contract 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 10:36pm
Look, heard on BBC that no team has ever qualified for the World Cup after losing their first 2 games.. we've now lost our first 3 games, qualification is over to state the bleedin obvious.

Rest of this campaign is to build the team. Bazunu is number one, oshea is a sure starter. Idah improving with each game.

This needs to be the end of selecting Shane Long, mcclean, Randolph, hourihane etc. 
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 10:38pm
Compare the Portugal team sheet to ours tonight. We gave them a good game. Kenny really needs to build on the Summer friendlies and tonight's performance with results.
It would damage this forums' reputation
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 10:39pm
Any news on O'Shea's injury?
It would damage this forums' reputation
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 11:26pm
These boys will take us to Germany in 24 and that should be the plan. Kenny clearly has them playing for him. It’s a no brainier for me. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 11:28pm
We played really well tonight and Connolly could have had the night not only his career but the one to kick start his career if he was sure of himself and not snatching 2nd guessing everything. 

It is f**king paramount we win Saturday. If we don't I don't think Kenny will keep his job simple as sounds harsh but winning Saturday and kick starting a quest to sneak 3rd spot has to be the goal now. 
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Kenny clearly has them playing for him.

Despite what 1 or 2 of the second rate journos in the country were trying to spin a few months ago, the players appear to be right behind kenny. 

Some of these second rate journos tried to spin a story involving Coleman (who called them out) and tried to spin that players that didnt play in their own national league didnt respect him, etc.

Complete and utter bull. I know a family member of one senior playe r (who hasn't been in last few squads so some may say has axe to grind)  who said they're all on board with him.

I'd take it with a pinch of salt obviously,  but you generally hear reliable whispers. Excluding the second rate journos trying to make something up, kenny seems to have players backing.
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
geansaí View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geansaí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 11:43pm
I was worried when I heard comments in the build up about not sitting back and how we were going to attack Portugal, had visions of us just ploughing forward leaving ourselves exposed like we had done in previous games.

But think Kenny got most things right tonight. Was surprised he went for Connolly over Parrott, don't think there is much between them but thought Parrott playing a few games might have got him the nod, can see why he went for Connolly though given his experience at a higher level.

In all the games so far under Kenny I was always worried that he didn't seem willing to take this type of pragmatic approach when needed, it looked like we were just going to keep attempting to play on the front foot- and if we had of done that I don't think he would have lasted much longer.

He has to follow it up with a win on Saturday though, anything less and he is on shaky ground still. Don't even care if it's a crap performance just win the game!

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 11:46pm
A very good night for him and following on from two good performances against Andorra and Hungary.

I hope he gets a lucky break soon and claims a big scalp like Serbia or Portugal at home. He's had no luck at all so far and it would do wonders for the confidence.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 11:52pm
what an unlucky manager! He got most things right tonight, the wing back tactics worked perfectly. Connolly was the right call up front with Idah, when most felt Parrott was a shoe in. Bazunu repaid his faith in him too. As did McGrath. To be fair, he has made ballysy calls at times. Needs two wins now to back this up though. If he can galvanise the squad after this sort of heartbreak tonight, I think he'll have us on the right track for the Euro qualifying campaign
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 308309310311312 735>
  Share Topic