Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 291292293294295 735>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by IrishKeano IrishKeano wrote:

He's literally comparing himself to a Japanese woman in another sport!! I'm done now, man can't even talk,get rid and I've kept my mouth shut the whole time,he's a failure,time to move on.

Any wonder you’ve kept your mouth shut for so long if this is the sh*te you are going to spout.
Sponsored Links

IrishKeano View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishKeano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

He's literally comparing himself to a Japanese woman in another sport!! I'm done now, man can't even talk,get rid and I've kept my mouth shut the whole time,he's a failure,time to move on.

Any wonder you’ve kept your mouth shut for so long if this is the sh*te you are going to spout.

Oh sorry mate, I didn't mean to insult your husband,sorry.
Absolutely ridiculous the way he is defended on here,no matter what,it's pathetic to be honest.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 9:05pm
 STEPHEN KENNY regards media duties as part of the job - but gets why others can struggle with them.

Naomi Osaka’s interactions with the French Open organisers have prompted a debate on whether sportspeople should be obliged to do interviews.

And the Ireland boss, who regularly gets emotional in front of cameras and microphones, was quizzed for his views on it.

Kenny said “If it’s great result nobody minds speaking - I’ve been a manager for a number of years, it’s always been associated as part of the job, and players likewise. 

“We shouldn’t complain as we are privileged to be in a position to do it so it’s not something I would complain about. 

“But I understand it can have a detrimental effect on players or sportspeople, whether tennis players or any other sport. I can empathise with that. .  

What exactly is wrong with the above? 

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 9:07pm

Absolutely ridiculous the way he is defended on here,no matter what,it's pathetic to be honest.
What’s ridiculous is people sniping at him for no reason. It’s f**king embarrassing, almost as embarrassing as you and this post. 
Bellend. 

Edited by 9fingers - 02 Jun 2021 at 9:07pm
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 9:08pm

You're some f**king tulip LOL

You've clearly ignored what was actually said and made something up 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

STEPHEN KENNY regards media duties as part of the job - but gets why others can struggle with them.

Naomi Osaka’s interactions with the French Open organisers have prompted a debate on whether sportspeople should be obliged to do interviews.

And the Ireland boss, who regularly gets emotional in front of cameras and microphones, was quizzed for his views on it.

Kenny said “If it’s great result nobody minds speaking - I’ve been a manager for a number of years, it’s always been associated as part of the job, and players likewise. 

“We shouldn’t complain as we are privileged to be in a position to do it so it’s not something I would complain about. 

“But I understand it can have a detrimental effect on players or sportspeople, whether tennis players or any other sport. I can empathise with that. .  

What exactly is wrong with the above? 

The fact that Kenny is saying it. 

Edited by Banjaxed - 02 Jun 2021 at 9:15pm
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 9:29pm

Wow.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 9:37pm

Confused
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 9:39pm
@Irishkeano

Eh what's the issue with what Kenny said?  

He gave a completely reasonable answer. 

You do realize he was asked by a journalist about this. He hardly just compared himself to someone else out of the blue for no reason ya gobsh*te. LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 10:12pm
I said he was mealy-mouthed and struggles to get his point across when he was appointed and I was shouted down. And I'm a supporter of what the man is trying to do.

It was, and remains a concern.

Some of the stuff he has been coming out with after the Serbia and Luxembourg games leads me to wonder about how he transmits his messages to players, and what they think of them.

I don't think it's something that media training will fix, either.

He reminds me of Robert De Niro. Fantastic actor but getting anything meaningful from him in interviews is like squeezing blood from a stone.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I said he was mealy-mouthed and struggles to get his point across when he was appointed and I was shouted down. And I'm a supporter of what the man is trying to do.

Some of the stuff he has been coming out with after the Serbia and Luxembourg games leads me to wonder about how he transmits his messages to players, and what they think of them.

He reminds me of Robert De Niro. Fantastic actor but getting anything meaningful from him in interviews is like squeezing blood from a stone.

Which past Ireland manager has been a good communicator, out of interest?
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 10:16pm
Osaka-Kenny-DeNiro

YBIG Clap
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Fair point. O'Neill was a good orator when he wasn't getting needlessly aggressive with TOD.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 10:25pm

YBIG thanks you for the immense bravery you’ve shown 
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Mick McCarthy.

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

YBIG thanks you for the immense bravery you’ve shown 

LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 11:07pm
Really hope for him he just gets a comprehensive win tomorrow. Sadly, the net effect, on the back of a win will be neutral, as it will be viewed as a kick-about with a minnow.

On the other hand, and rather ironically, if the result was to be anything less than a win, it will heap pressure upon him in a way that normally a summer friendly wouldn't. I'm not sure too many batted an eyelid when Portugal hit us for 5 in 2014, or Mexico hit us for 3 in 2017. But given what has gone before, this will be scrutinised.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 11:10pm
I've always thought too much is made about his media skills. He's not the best speaker. End of story.  Move on. On that note I think he's been better and seems to be a bit more relaxed in responding with a laugh to a long winded or awkward question (especially in today's press conference) than he was before.  

What's of most concern imo is how we tend to drift out of games and run out of steam under his system. Ireland have generally started well in games under Kenny but there's a noticeable drop off as the match goes on. This might be explained away as a lot of our players are not playing regularly but I think there's a lack of pragmatism on Kenny's part. I don't ever see him reverting to a direct style going into the dying minutes of a match if we needed a goal and his Plan A wasn't working. 

Given how limited we are in terms of technical skills and pool of talent, our first priority should be making sure we have a solid defence and are hard to beat. 

We've struggled to score goals years before Kenny took over so the lack of scoring certainly isn't his fault alone but it's no coincidence our previous managers all came to the same conclusion in recognising our limitations and set us up with a more pragmatic system. 

I do think there'd be more of a hope of an unlikely flukey draw in Portugal in September if we had Trap/O'Neill or Mick managing the team with a 'park the bus' mentality whereas under Kenny, it's an absolute certainty and acceptance amongst us that Portugal will win and probably by a few.  

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 291292293294295 735>
  Share Topic