Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 735>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

It was very awkward at times. Hopefully he comes across a lot better with the players than he does when interviewed.
As has been stated plenty of times, he’s always been like this with the media & he’ll no problems with the players 
But that's not how it works, I'm afraid. 

Dealing with the media is a major part of the job. It's how people form their views of a manager, probably even more than with the actual football. 

And it isn't just Joe Punters like me or you who form opinions from media performances. Players do too.

On football matters, Kenny came across like I'd expect to had I just been appointed. Not confident. 

There was a real awkwardness to his answers, with awkward silences, where the listener was getting awkward waiting for him to resume talking.

A week later and it's obvious no proper party line has been agreed, Kenny didn't know how to answer questions about the deal. Now the FAI are probably more to blame for this than anybody, but it smacks of amateur hour.

Kenny is obviously a man with loads  of really admirable qualities. There's a depth to him as a person and he comes across as a really top class guy, this came across particularly when talking about non-football matters. You'd have absolute trust in him to do a brilliant job with Irish youth teams and have the best interests of Irish football and young players at heart. 

But that's not necessarily a major plus when it comes to being senior manager.

The fact is, as of now at least, he just isn't used to this level of media exposure. He'll need to learn very quickly.

At the top level of football, you can't show any weakness on football matters in interviews. You have to display absolute confidence in yourself. Every single quote is endlessly deconstructed in media these days. It's brutal. 

Kenny is going to need serious media training in this regard because if he doesn't get it, things could spiral out of control quite quickly for him as senior manager if he doesn't have early success.

Mick McCarthy's media performances are the ideal. He never gets flustered, everything is water off a duck's back to him. Joe Schmidt's media performances are another gold standard. 

Martin O'Neill's media performancces weren't ideal, but he always displayed total confidence in himself even if he was extremely spikey, confrontational and paranoid. You can get away with that stuff easier and it can even build a siege mentality in a team. It did for a while.

On football metters, I just fear Kenny is going to look weak and nervous and that could spread.

And if people think this stuff doesn't matter, I have three words - Moyes, Moyes, Moyes.
Sponsored Links

Beavis View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 7:46pm
Very good post; worryingly I think there's a bit of truth in it. Hopefully he has someone to let him know and can try sort it out in next couple of years

PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 7:57pm
Its complete moonshine. It matters if he isn't doing well after Mick plays a blinder. It won't if he does ok. Speculating about how a manager to be appointed in 2 years will cope with the media is just looking for reasons to pick holes in him for the sake of it. It all comes down to the football and the results.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Beavis Beavis wrote:

Very good post; worryingly I think there's a bit of truth in it. Hopefully he has someone to let him know and can try sort it out in next couple of years

But the great thing is he is only the under-21 manager. This gives him time to find his feet at international level for the next two years whilst Mick will be centre stage.

Who knows, perhaps 2018 wasn't the right time for Stephen to be manager and this was a stroke of genius by JD to get him involved in the international set up.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

It was very awkward at times. Hopefully he comes across a lot better with the players than he does when interviewed.
As has been stated plenty of times, he’s always been like this with the media & he’ll no problems with the players 

Dealing with the media is a major part of the job. It's how people form their views of a manager, probably even more than with the actual football. 

And it isn't just Joe Punters like me or you who form opinions from media performances. Players do too.

On football matters, Kenny came across like I'd expect to had I just been appointed. Not confident. 

There was a real awkwardness to his answers, with awkward silences, where the listener was getting awkward waiting for him to resume talking.

A week later and it's obvious no proper party line has been agreed, Kenny didn't know how to answer questions about the deal. Now the FAI are probably more to blame for this than anybody, but it smacks of amateur hour.

Kenny is obviously a man with loads  of really admirable qualities. There's a depth to him as a person and he comes across as a really top class guy, this came across particularly when talking about non-football matters. You'd have absolute trust in him to do a brilliant job with Irish youth teams and have the best interests of Irish football and young players at heart. 

The fact is, as of now at least, he just isn't used to this level of media exposure. He'll need to learn very quickly.

At the top level of football, you can't show any weakness on football matters in interviews. You have to display absolute confidence in yourself. Every single quote is endlessly deconstructed in media these days. It's brutal. 

Kenny is going to need serious media training in this regard because if he doesn't get it, things could spiral out of control quite quickly for him as senior manager if he doesn't have early success.

Mick McCarthy's media performances are the ideal. He never gets flustered, everything is water off a duck's back to him. Joe Schmidt's media performances are another gold standard. 

Martin O'Neill's media performancces weren't ideal, but he always displayed total confidence in himself even if he was extremely spikey, confrontational and paranoid. You can get away with that stuff easier and it can even build a siege mentality in a team. It did for a while.

On football metters, I just fear Kenny is going to look weak and nervous and that could spread.

And if people think this stuff doesn't matter, I have three words - Moyes, Moyes, Moyes.
You'd have to be a complete dunce to form your opinion based on anything players, managers or media spout out. If you cannot form an opinion from looking at a match, you may as well cover yourself in mint sauce.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by Beavis Beavis wrote:

But the great thing is he is only the under-21 manager. This gives him time to find his feet at international level for the next two years whilst Mick will be centre stage.

Who knows, perhaps 2018 wasn't the right time for Stephen to be manager and this was a stroke of genius by JD to get him involved in the international set up.

It wasn't a master stroke. It was a sop to try and keep the media push for Kenny to get the job off his back. 

That doesn't mean it wasn't the right decision to hold Kenny back, it just wasn't a master plan tho it will be spun that way if it works. In reality the plan is shambolic on a number of levels. Classic parish pumper fudge. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

You'd have to be a complete dunce to form your opinion based on anything players, managers or media spout out. If you cannot form an opinion from looking at a match, you may as well cover yourself in mint sauce.

You can be very convincing and sure of yourself in interviews, yet be an absolute spoofer and an uttterly useless manager.

There are loads of people who have done that not just in football management, but in loads of other walks of life, such as politics - see the hard Brexiteers and the US president right now.

But conversely, it's very difficult to achieve managerial success at a high level if you come across as very nervous and unsure of yourself with the media. 

Has anybody ever done it?

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 10:48pm
bob paisley 

AKA pedantic kunt
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 11:07pm

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

You can be very convincing and sure of yourself in interviews, yet be an absolute spoofer and an uttterly useless manager.

There are loads of people who have done that not just in football management, but in loads of other walks of life, such as politics - see the hard Brexiteers and the US president right now.

But conversely, it's very difficult to achieve managerial success at a high level if you come across as very nervous and unsure of yourself with the media. 

Has anybody ever done it?

No doubt being a savvy media operator is a great advantage in the modern world but no attempts at distraction however cleverly tried can disguise a poor performance. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 2:18pm
This has probably been mentioned already, but it would be great if we get into the Toulon tournament this Summer. Kenny mentioned recently that the FAI have applied to get into it.
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 11:52pm
I think the appointment of Stephen Kenny has to be viewed as a long-term cultural type change. The fact that he will be the U21 manager and head of all the underage teams points to the long-term nature of the appointment. In my opinion qualifications for the 2022 World Cup should not be make or break for Kenny. The 2020/21 Nations League and World Cup 2022 qualifying campaigns should be judged on the style of play, an Irish identity being created and the introduction and development of young players. By the 2022/23 Nations League campaign the results should be positive. Stephen Kenny should be expected to qualify for Euro 2024 and we would hopefully be entering the 2024/25 Nations League and 2026 World Cup qualifying campaigns full of confidence !

Edited by AonSceal19 - 02 Jan 2019 at 11:54pm
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 3:37am
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 4:31am
enjoyed that interview and don’t think kimmage does anything wrong.   He asks probing questions.   
AKA pedantic kunt
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 6:33am
Not sure what's bizzare about it. Kimmage's questioning come across as aggressive at times but that's the same in every interview he does. Kenny needs to work on his responses for questions he finds difficult.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
DonkeyOatey View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonkeyOatey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 6:45am
I found Kimmage to be quite abrasive, and some of his questions quite intrusive. I don't see why Kimmage wanted to pinpoint exactly when Kenny  found out he was adopted, almostto the point of being opressive. Don't think we get a deep insight Into the man from the interview either.Interestingto read but it tells me more about Kimmage as a person than Kenny 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 7:10am
He does come across as trying to rattle him from the outset, but I suppose that's fairly typical of Kimmage's style.
We're decent enough..
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 7:13am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

enjoyed that interview and don’t think kimmage does anything wrong.   He asks probing questions.   
+1. Enjoyed it.  If anything Kenny seems to keep things close to his chest. He’s not exactly an open book,and PK was trying to get as much out of him as he could. It’s what you expect from PK in these interviews,and what the reader wants. 
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 7:20am
As mentioned above, I think that is just Kimmage's style. 
Not sure I learned anything new about Kenny though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 735>
  Share Topic