You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 735>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 3:59pm
Thought he done well today. He answered the questions and didnt dither imo. When asked who woupd be 21s manager after him he did say " thats not my job "
Sponsored Links

DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 4:37pm
Stephen Kenny will be fcked over by Delaney, mark my words
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Stephen Kenny will be fcked over by Delaney, mark my words

Yeah I think he should have stayed with Dundalk for the next two years he is only 47! Maybe he will enjoy the U21 job, Noel King was there for the last 8 yearsShocked I don't know like the Mick McCarthy gamble if that goes tits up...and the cost of it. god help us.
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Thought he done well today. He answered the questions and didnt dither imo. When asked who woupd be 21s manager after him he did say " that's not my job "

Which is the biggest farce of all. He's been brought in oversee all underage groups yet will be leaving the main underage group halfway through a tournament cycle with no ides who tales over. Thought his answer on that was awful. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Thought he done well today. He answered the questions and didnt dither imo. When asked who woupd be 21s manager after him he did say " that's not my job "

Which is the biggest farce of all. He's been brought in oversee all underage groups yet will be leaving the main underage group halfway through a tournament cycle with no ides who tales over. Thought his answer on that was awful. 

I think we're too fixated on what happens in August 2020. Let's see what two years of McCarthy and Kenny actually brings us.....autumn 2020 and beyond can take care of itself.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 4:40am
Regarding taking over after the Euros, I get the impression that it's very much still up in the air in relation to the finer details of it. His answers seemed vague and I'd imagine that's because the terms of his contract haven't been finalised yet. What sort of money will he be on, etc. He really has been put in an unneccessarily awkward situation by this arrangement.

He seems quite clear what will be required of him at 21's and his working relationship with the other underage managers though. As someone mentioned, his answers to the football related questions were well constructed, bit of a contrast to the other questions posed to him.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 11:11am
On Marian Finnucane on radio one at the moment. Bit of a car crash so far.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 12:54pm
Doesn't Finucane do a current affairs type show? Putting sports people on shows like that is always awkward, similar to when politicians try to be down with the kids. 
It seems to happen a lot more in Ireland too. TOD and the like should be questioning Kenny, Finucane and her ilk should be bothering Steven Ross.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 1:55pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 2:10pm
It was very awkward at times. Hopefully he comes across a lot better with the players than he does when interviewed.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Doesn't Finucane do a current affairs type show? Putting sports people on shows like that is always awkward, similar to when politicians try to be down with the kids. 
It seems to happen a lot more in Ireland too. TOD and the like should be questioning Kenny, Finucane and her ilk should be bothering Steven Ross.

Not a fan of hers but she's normally quite okay on sports interviews and sports features. She's had tons of such items on the show over the years, being a Saturday and Sunday show.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Not a fan of hers but she's normally quite okay on sports interviews and sports features. She's had tons of such items on the show over the years, being a Saturday and Sunday show.
I don't understand the Saturday and Sunday thing, maybe I have been spoiled by the BBC. It is something we do a lot in Ireland and, in my memory at least, never works. Maybe it is because there are only three English language RTÉ radio stations, but it always struck me as terribly amateur and a complete mismanagement of scheduling.

As for Finucane, I always find her a terrible interviewer. There's always loads of stuttering of words while she words the question right and even more shuffling of paper. 
However, she used to holiday in my hometown when I was young and I will say she is a lovely and charming woman. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

It was very awkward at times. Hopefully he comes across a lot better with the players than he does when interviewed.
As has been stated plenty of times, he’s always been like this with the media & he’ll no problems with the players 
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 3:27pm

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

I don't understand the Saturday and Sunday thing, maybe I have been spoiled by the BBC. It is something we do a lot in Ireland and, in my memory at least, never works. Maybe it is because there are only three English language RTÉ radio stations, but it always struck me as terribly amateur and a complete mismanagement of scheduling.

As for Finucane, I always find her a terrible interviewer. There's always loads of stuttering of words while she words the question right and even more shuffling of paper. 
However, she used to holiday in my hometown when I was young and I will say she is a lovely and charming woman. 

Well it's definitely not just a current affairs show anyway. It's more of a "topical discussion" show where virtually anything that is in the news is talked about, including big sports stories. For instance she had Tony O'Donoghue on the show last Sunday discussing the new appointments. It's not a regular thing, but if there's any big sports story going on, it will usually get covered.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

As has been stated plenty of times, he’s always been like this with the media & he’ll no problems with the players 
I hope you're right.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 3:47pm
I think shows should keep to set topics myself, which is why I always found RTÉ Radio so hard to listen to. It tries to be too many things to too many people. Move the schedule around and have a proper show to round up the sports stories of the week.

Anyway, we're taking this off topic! I'm sure Kenny will be fine dealing with the media.

Edited by pre Madonna - 01 Dec 2018 at 3:52pm
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 3:59pm

I'm sure Kenny will be fine dealing with the media.

He won’t be any worse than o neill. And at least he won’t be such a d*** and rude to tod 
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
whitesideOnside View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 5:02pm
I listened to his interview with Dunphy on his podcast. He certainly stumbles over answers a bit. I think a lot of it is due to trying to give a thoughtful, interesting answer. He came across well with an extensive football knowledge as we'd expect. 

Much better than O'Neil's anyway. Though I remember hearing an interview with him about ten years ago and being impressed too. I think he just didn't have huge interest in the Irish job after the first campaign and was too convinced of his own self worth and treated us all as being a bit unworthy.

Anyway, back to Kenny, I think he'll get much better at the media side and may even get some training. His passion for football is obvious. There'll be some for whom he'll never be right and they will pick on his media skills.  Most of us are more interested in how well he will prepare the squad and an develop an Irish team to be proud of.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 735>
  Share Topic