You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stephen Kenny

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 110111112113114 115>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Something that is very important is that the players seem to be reacting well to Kenny.

Yes this was something that many people spoke about before Kenny took over. Was it ever going to be too much of a problem tho? We largely have a team of honest hardworking footballers, is there many egos in it? Possibly Hendrick and a few but they aren’t stupid either if they don’t follow what Kenny says they know they will be out of the team. It is good to see that they seem to be taking to his style of play.
Sponsored Links

aviva8 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

If we are ever going to become a good quality side again there is no way we can have any of the following in the squad, Horgan, Maguire, Williams, Lenihan, curtis. Also there is no way we can afford to have Hendrick and Hourihane as guaranteed starters for every game.. They have been really poor in an irish shirt for a long time now, except for few moments from Hendricks here and there.
What a lazy summary of the team. Hendrick has been much improved over the last three games under Kenny. He has been poor in the past, often used as a scapegoat but if anyone is criticising him after his much improved displays it’s more their own agenda than based on any players performance.
Do you think Hendrick played well yesterday and also, what has hourihane contributed to the team during this international break?
Donegalman View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 2:12pm

If we are ever going to become a good quality side again there is no way we can have any of the following in the squad, Horgan, Maguire, Williams, Lenihan, curtis. Also there is no way we can afford to have Hendrick and Hourihane as guaranteed starters for every game.. They have been really poor in an irish shirt for a long time now, except for few moments from Hendricks here and there.
What a lazy summary of the team. Hendrick has been much improved over the last three games under Kenny. He has been poor in the past, often used as a scapegoat but if anyone is criticising him after his much improved displays it’s more their own agenda than based on any players performance.
Do you think Hendrick played well yesterday and also, what has hourihane contributed to the team during this international break?
Yes I do think that Hendrick played well yesterday. I will admit that he wasn’t as good as in the Wales game which was the best of his three performances this window but he has an integral part to play in the team now in his new role further up the pitch. He’s very important for the press that we are playing. I never mentioned Hourihane, it just seems like you are trying to justify your lazy statement like many of the fans who have a script to throw out about players before the game is played. What I will say about Hourihane his role was different in the Slovakia game before McCarthy went off. Without McCarthy in the team he’s played as a deep lying midfielder and has done reasonably well in it if not spectacular. Against Wales he offered protection to our weakened back four.
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 2:27pm

What has Molumby, O’Shea, Connolly and Idah contributed to the team this international break? In reality what exactly did they contribute above Hourihane or Hendrick’s contribution? Not much from my perspective. Solid young fellas on work experience.

We are building a squad. No one can be discarded until we see more in a completely different system to the one used before. 
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

The dam will bust for sure. A monumental. Hiding from a top team

England would smash us. 

England played five defenders and two holding midfielders at home to Denmark last night. Really doubt they are capable of smashing anyone at the moment.

"This is what separates the men from the fagg*ts." Dec. Jerry Lynch
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

The dam will bust for sure. A monumental. Hiding from a top team

England would smash us. 

England played five defenders and two holding midfielders at home to Denmark last night. Really doubt they are capable of smashing anyone at the moment.

their B team battered Wales without breaking sweat
aviva8 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 3:35pm

Yes I do think that Hendrick played well yesterday. I will admit that he wasn’t as good as in the Wales game which was the best of his three performances this window but he has an integral part to play in the team now in his new role further up the pitch. He’s very important for the press that we are playing. I never mentioned Hourihane, it just seems like you are trying to justify your lazy statement like many of the fans who have a script to throw out about players before the game is played. What I will say about Hourihane his role was different in the Slovakia game before McCarthy went off. Without McCarthy in the team he’s played as a deep lying midfielder and has done reasonably well in it if not spectacular. Against Wales he offered protection to our weakened back four.
That fair enough,  we obviously look at things differently because I taught Hendrick was very poor yesterday.  Look I would love to say that hourihane and Hendrick are very good players but time after time they have been no greater than mediocre for Ireland. 
aviva8 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

What has Molumby, O’Shea, Connolly and Idah contributed to the team this international break? In reality what exactly did they contribute above Hourihane or Hendrick’s contribution? Not much from my perspective. Solid young fellas on work experience.

We are building a squad. No one can be discarded until we see more in a completely different system to the one used before. 
Molumby quiet a lot in my opinion for a young lad of 20 or 21, he has been very impressive. O'shea has made his debut yesterday at 20 years old and he was excellent. Idah and Connolly have only played a small part due to covid mix up but they dont look out of place for lads that are so young.

As for Hendrick and Hourihane they are experienced international players in there late twenties, surely you would expect more from them then 4 young lads only coming on to the international stage?

On your last point, I never suggested discarding Hendrick and Hourihane. I  just said they are not good enough or have shown to much over the last number of years to suggest that they should be certain starters on our team going forward.
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 4:07pm

Molumby quiet a lot in my opinion for a young lad of 20 or 21, he has been very impressive. O'shea has made his debut yesterday at 20 years old and he was excellent. Idah and Connolly have only played a small part due to covid mix up but they dont look out of place for lads that are so young.

As for Hendrick and Hourihane they are experienced international players in there late twenties, surely you would expect more from them then 4 young lads only coming on to the international stage?

On your last point, I never suggested discarding Hendrick and Hourihane. I  just said they are not good enough or have shown to much over the last number of years to suggest that they should be certain starters on our team going forward.

Molumby was very impressive.
O’Shea was excellent.

Were they really? I’m not judging them by their age Or inexperience. I’m judging them the same as I am any other player on the pitch. We tend to over praise young players if they manage to put one foot in front of the other.

Ultimately if I had to pick out the best player across the entire 3 games it would be shane duffy. 

If I had to pick out Ireland’s  three best players It would still be coleman, Mcgoldrick and duffy. 

Ends Stevens hasnt made it to 20 caps yet. Conor hourihane has 21 caps. Players with under 20 caps are generally unreliable. You see that with most other international sides with the odd exception.

The next campaign is transitional. We need our veterans and we need our kids. The chances of us going from a team that can’t score to a team that can qualify as one of the 13 uefa teams for the World Cup are remote.

I hope people understand that.

aviva8 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 4:28pm

Molumby was very impressive.
O’Shea was excellent.

Were they really? I’m not judging them by their age Or inexperience. I’m judging them the same as I am any other player on the pitch. We tend to over praise young players if they manage to put one foot in front of the other.

Ultimately if I had to pick out the best player across the entire 3 games it would be shane duffy. 

If I had to pick out Ireland’s  three best players It would still be coleman, Mcgoldrick and duffy. 

Ends Stevens hasnt made it to 20 caps yet. Conor hourihane has 21 caps. Players with under 20 caps are generally unreliable. You see that with most other international sides with the odd exception.

The next campaign is transitional. We need our veterans and we need our kids. The chances of us going from a team that can’t score to a team that can qualify as one of the 13 uefa teams for the World Cup are remote.

I hope people understand that.

Yes they were, Molumby got Man of the match against Wales and O'shea against Finland

Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 4:44pm
the rating below done by whoscored and based on a measurable bar of statistics as opposed to ex-pros making feelgood decisions they were awarded- 6.9,6.1 & 6.1. Nothing special.

Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 11:55pm
if Duffy was one of our 3 best players he'd still be playing in the English Premier League. He's a one trick pony.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 12:22am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

if Duffy was one of our 3 best players he'd still be playing in the English Premier League. He's a one trick pony.

One of the stranger misapplications of the term.

In a world where City, United and Liverpool are losing by fives, sixes and sevens, however unfashionable, a defender who does the basics and is actually effective in preventing the concession of goals, probably isn't such a bad thing.

Especially so when he's playing for an international team that doesn't score.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 16 Oct 2020 at 12:24am
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 12:30am

What trick is that   ? 

Edited by Scissors Kick - 16 Oct 2020 at 12:30am
Fozz View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

What trick is that   ? 

Defending.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 1:01am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

What trick is that   ? 

Defending.

How passé!
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

What trick is that   ? 

Defending.
LOL

He has firmly established himself as our best player. Now, that might not say much about the rest of them, but there we are.
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I've enjoyed the performances (not the results) under Kenny.  Yesterday we saw our players extract themselves funder pressure from tight situations and kept the ball. I actually said to myself once or twice ''wow I didn't think we were capable of that''.  I was swriously impressed on a few occassions. Why?  Because I've seen us in those exact situations before panic and kick the ball away to the opposition.  Players are making triangles for the ball now and have one or two options every time.  Before nobody wanted it and it was chipped forwards or launched and lost 8 times out of 10. 
We also saw some clever little flicks and tricks.  Twice we kept possession from it and once we lost the ball because of it.  That's great as it shows the players have the freedom to try things and express their creativity not told to get rid of it and don't make a mistake.  If you eliminate all your mistakes you are also eliminating or severely limiting your creativity.  You can't have one without he other.  I am convinced this will come good.  Need a goalscorer and a couple of results to ge that bit of confidence.  IF Hourihane had stuck that ball in the net last week the performance and result would have been hailed.  We need some breaks too.  Kenny has had minus luck so far. 

This - we have been much better to watch.

The last time we actually played like this was Euro 2016. We were brutal for years and it was difficult to watch Ireland.

Once we somehow find out how to score we have the potential to put together some great performances and results.

We’re not going to the next World Cup but 2024 should be the aim.
In 2 years time a few of the U21 will be in the senior squad.
Hopefully Troy delivers. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 110111112113114 115>
  Share Topic