Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 110111112113114 735>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 7:19pm
I do find more often than not the players we have that aren't playing regularly at their clubs do surprisingly well and maybe even overperform in some cases when they play for Ireland. I think this has been the case for a long time going back several Irish managers. 

It is a concern though the lack of game time a good few of our players are getting all the same. 

I'm unusually optimistic for the November matches. We'll lose to England but will get the required 3/4 points from the Wales & Bulgaria games to stay in League B. We'll be 3rd seeds for the world cup draw in December imo.

Edited by irishmufc - 26 Oct 2020 at 7:23pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 9:55am
Edit: Double Post

Edited by t_rAndy - 13 Nov 2020 at 9:57am
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 9:56am
For people already calling for Kenny's head or at least questioning him, what is the alternative? Or who is the alternative?

Under Trap, MoN and McCarthy we were playing what many called utter spunk, anti-football, etc. and people were crying out for us to start playing a passing game. 
We are doing that now, there are some teething issues but for me there are some positive signs in there (not last night apart from about 2 minutes in the first half). 

People referencing "If McCarthy was in charge..or Big Sam..." I don't even think we have players to play that system. And do we really want to go that route anyway?

I think Kenny is still the man and he should be given at least the world cup campaign before making a firm judgement. I'd like to see a bit more fight from the players and more confidence and I think this will come once we get a result under our belts.

England game was a terrible one to take! We should have organized something like Latvia at home 

Edited by t_rAndy - 13 Nov 2020 at 9:56am
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 9:58am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I think Kenny is still the man and he should be given at least the world cup campaign before making a firm judgement. I'd like to see a bit more fight from the players and more confidence and I think this will come once we get a result under our belts.

England game was a terrible one to take! We should have organized something like Latvia at home 

Agreed. 

FAI Dead
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 9:58am
We scored 7 goals in the entire last qualifying group - 3 of them against Gibraltar. Jurgen Klopp wouldn't get more out of this current squad 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 10:33am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

We scored 7 goals in the entire last qualifying group - 3 of them against Gibraltar. Jurgen Klopp wouldn't get more out of this current squad 

He would, because he is a better manager. But thats not a dig at Kenny.

I never wanted Kenny (I wasn't that against it either tbf) and still wouldn't be put off by the start he has made. Bit of luck against Slovakia last month and it would have been a completely different atmosphere around this team. 

Agree re the last campaign, it was an awful slog watching us. I am looking forward to the world cup qualifiers (hopefully we get to travel) and seeing how the team develops over the next 12/18 months. We have low expectations at the minute, so we could surprise ourselves. We are due some luck, so hopefully the draw is kind 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 12:23pm
Hummmm still at a loss what to say after last night but i did think Kenny would change things but still the same as across the back four back to the keeper and repeat .

PLAN B ????????????????
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Deco79 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deco79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 12:48pm
Has to be given the World Cup qualifying campaign. Result and performance was beyond disappointing last night and a bit naive in how we approached trying to play against a team that's always going to be a top seed in any group but he wasn't helped by the FAI who arranged this fixture. With all the injuries, Covid results, pull outs and retirements he hasn't had much luck with squads. The way he is trying to get us to play is right and will be proven when we play the teams seeded 3-5/6 in any group we get drawn into and possibly against teams seeded 2nd but against teams seeded 1 to 2 we'll need to revert to a degree to the usual methods we've had success with. What's probably hindered him too is how well he was doing with the U21's where they are in a position to qualify for the first and he's rightly not disrupted the squad for his own gains. In time those in the U21's will get their chance. Hopefully we get seeded 2nd in our World Cup group and go from there...  
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 12:57pm
https://www.facebook.com/341867628578/posts/10158047430893579/

Edited by horsebox - 13 Nov 2020 at 12:58pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Green Man View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/341867628578/posts/10158047430893579/

Looks out of his depth there, he isn't making any sense. He dodged the question about the scheduling of the friendly and rambled gibberish for 2 minutes.

"I don't think anyone could say Shane Duffy had a bad game tonight"

WTF??!

His interviews wouldn't give much confidence.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 1:12pm
I said two years ago when Kenny did an interview with Marian Finucane that his lack of communication skills would be a problem
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 1:15pm
When he was on the stand with Eamonn Dunphy I thought he came across well. 

I think he basically tries to think about his answer when he's speaking so hence things come across like that.
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 1:25pm
I think Sid was the first to point out that his interviews are excruciating to watch.
Incoherent, inarticulate and lacking confidence. I hope he is not like that when trying to inspire
the players!

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 1:42pm
Stephen Kenny is Unlucky Alf from the Fast Show

I have never seen a manager so unlucky where everything that can go wrong does and then some
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 2:07pm
OK - the reality of where we are now.

Players available are average to poor if we're being kind. I think if we have all players fit, available and covid free. We have an ok enough team.

Strength in depth is just not there at all. We miss Randolph and we're in trouble, we miss Connolly and I can't see where goals are coming from. Not that connolly scores goals for us.

Financially the FAI are a shambles.

Granny rulers are not going to help us out here at all.

**whispers** merge to form one ireland team like the rugby????
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 2:15pm
Thing is with Kenny is that you have to actually listen to what he’s saying rather than how he’s saying it. Martin O’Neill was a master at speaking forever and saying nothing. 

If we’d been getting amazing results for the past decade I could put up with the sh*t football. We haven’t. We’ve been stealing a living. I can put up with missing a tournament that may not even happen if it means we’re getting better
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

That gave me a good laugh.

LOL
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Thing is with Kenny is that you have to actually listen to what he’s saying rather than how he’s saying it. Martin O’Neill was a master at speaking forever and saying nothing. 

If we’d been getting amazing results for the past decade I could put up with the sh*t football. We haven’t. We’ve been stealing a living. I can put up with missing a tournament that may not even happen if it means we’re getting better

You are nearly finishing his sentence for him.  Its very uncomfortable watching. 
You can tell he knows about what he is trying to say in his Head but finds it hard to express.

Edited by t_rAndy - 13 Nov 2020 at 2:52pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 110111112113114 735>
  Share Topic