Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 735>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It's the Stephen Kenny Thread
    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 12:57pm
Will be a future Ireland manager I believe. Can't see it being this week as the FAI are looking for the easy option, and appealing to fans and media nostalgia is looking like their most likely policy.

Could end up being the best thing for the man I reckon. If Kenny gets the job now and is only on an 18 month contract, he could well be out on his ear in just over a years time. If he waits (obviously he may have option in that anyway!), and he continues being successful at Dundalk (which I'm pretty certain he will be) he'll be in pole position to take the job in a year or 2 time when the previous incumbent crashes and burns.

"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Sponsored Links

DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 1:24pm
One thing I hope does NOT happen is that he puts so much hope into getting the Ireland job, only to be disappointed, and then loses sight at club level. Kind of like how Harry Redknapp did when he expected to get the England job. Because if Mick is given it (which I would not have much issue with) then Kenny at aged 47 could still be in line to be the next one after
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 1:42pm

It would be the ultimate honor for him, he would support LOI and have faith it's players in this really critical next few years when we start to see the fruits of the positive changes that have been made at underage. He is someone who could coach and manage the senior team but could also have a hand at all levels. He could come into the office in Abbotstown and oversee potential academy set up.

Maybe he can still do that role without being the manager of the senior team??? (Could also see someone like Lee Carsley in that role)

I'd get behind Mick of course but I just feel it never really works out second time around, I don't know if he would really have the hunger or energy to roll up the sleeves and get that into that type of role.

I think he would be almost exclusively working with the senior team.

Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 1:42pm
It would be illogical for Kenny to not get the Ireland job. Ireland will prosper under his reign. Delaney must not make a selfish decision as the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 1:44pm
Come on Kenny Clap
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 1:47pm
He's the the only option for me. Think of the shot in the arm it will give the domestic game in Ireland (no womder the Junkies have issued a statement endorsing him)
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 1:48pm
Needs to stay where he is.

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

He's the the only option for me. Think of the shot in the arm it will give the domestic game in Ireland (no womder the Junkies have issued a statement endorsing him)

Ive heard this said but what shot will it give? what shot did it give when kerr got the job? none. can't see how it will make any difference.
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 1:57pm
Don't see him getting it during this period at all. Maybe in the future. I would like to see Kenny get a job

in League 1 or so like Paul Cook and see how he does then. He needs to prove himself outside of the LOI

where there are only 2 clubs capable of winning the league. It is Mick or Sam for me right now. 

Edited by grannyrule - 23 Nov 2018 at 2:04pm
The only way is up
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 1:59pm
If he gets the job will he play no long ball at all? Five minutes to go in a vital match we need a goal, it's not happening, will he change it up and throw a big lad up front? Would he see that as against his principles?

Some long ball and physicality was always a part of the most successful Irish teams make-up. I'd like to see us play a lot more football and get back to being the team everyone hates playing against. That's more likely under Mick who I think will mix it up more.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:00pm
We just spent 5 years with MON. 

Kenny deserves his chance. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

If he gets the job will he play no long ball at all? Five minutes to go in a vital match we need a goal, it's not happening, will he change it up and throw a big lad up front? Would he see that as against his principles?

Some long ball and physicality was always a part of the most successful Irish teams make-up. I'd like to see us play a lot more football and get back to being the team everyone hates playing against. That's more likely under Mick who I think will mix it up more.

course we need a mixture. if were away to spain and 2-0 down after 20 mins our pretty football plan might have to go out the window.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Ive heard this said but what shot will it give? what shot did it give when kerr got the job? none. can't see how it will make any difference.

Different time. Only one player from that era went on to play for Ireland (wes). Squad was filled with majority of premiership players.

Now we don't have that many premiership players and many people in the squad have come through the LOI system and the growing trends of less Irish players getting picked up by English clubs suggests we will need to put extra emphasis on the league.

ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Don't see him getting it during this period anyway. Maybe in the future. It is Mick or Sam for me right now. 
Getting him in last year would have been ideal for him as he would have had those friendlies and Nations League matches to get his ideas, system and methods bedded in before the qualifiers start in March.  Unfortunately, that luxury has gone (actually, 'wasted' would probably be more apt by keeping MONROY on when they were so obviously a busted flush but sure that's for another thread) so we need someone with experience like Mick who can hit the ground running. 
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:04pm
The people's choice Clap
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:04pm
I'm not sure I buy the "inexperienced" line. He's 47 years old and has been managing for the last 21 years.

Exactly how much experience is he supposed to get under his belt before he becomes eligible for the Ireland job?
CillDara View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:09pm
Would love to see him get it but the time it to him was either 12 months ago, we have wasted the last 12 months completely. In an ideal situation he would get it after Euro 2020 having had a successful European run with Dundalk in the meantime. It would be an exciting appointment if he does get it at some stage.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

I'm not sure I buy the "inexperienced" line. He's 47 years old and has been managing for the last 21 years.

Exactly how much experience is he supposed to get under his belt before he becomes eligible for the Ireland job?

True. Talking to an LOI player he is very much a man who is respected by his players too. After years of success I think it's not debatable that this man is (a) a leader  (b) a good coach (c) able to deal with grown men!
The media piece might be a difficult transition, but it is a tough job and you have to take it on

Edited by t_rAndy - 23 Nov 2018 at 2:10pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 735>
  Share Topic