You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stephen Kenny post Nations League poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 18>
Poll Question: Should Stephen Kenny be retained as Ireland manager?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
135 [79.41%]
35 [20.59%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

The polling and general public sentiment is fairly unequivocal, most supporters want him to stay on. A small example of that from after the game last night - I saw some drunken eeijit walking around roaring that we were "44,000 sheep" and that Kenny would be "sacked in the morning", needless to say he was laughed out of the stadium. I expect he had an antivax group meeting to attend in any case.

That was TJ.
Nope TJ was sober , and i only had one drink myself  Big smile
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sponsored Links

grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:18pm

The polling and general public sentiment is fairly unequivocal, most supporters want him to stay on.

Depends on where you look. Here and Off the Ball for instance are in favour of him yet if you look at somewhere like The42 most comments are definitely anti Kenny. Personally, I think the next campaign is going to be another one wasted with Kenny in charge.
The only way is up
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

I think he should see out his contract. Have always backed him but I can't say I don't have concerns. 

We're maddeningly inconsistent under him. It's very rare that we see a solid 90 minute performance. Can have a great first half like last Saturday but can't sustain it. Even against poor opposition we're prone to spells of madness like yesterday that unravels what had been a positive 70 minutes.

We also struggle to hold onto leads when we get them, we seem weak mentally and that's a concern and something that really needs to be worked on. He needs to get another coach in to replace Eustace and hopefully manage to hold onto this one. You'd hope that the additional experience the young players have got will stand to them in the Euro qualifiers but it's last chance saloon and Kenny will be praying for a decent draw. 

Especially as the scope for qualifying is wider than it was before. In the last campaign I remember we could have qualified by wining either game against the Danes or the Swiss, and we failed on both count, and then had a third bite via the play offs which also didn’t work.
trapscat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trapscat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:29pm
I always said, play better football, blood youth and then 2023 would be his judgement. Last night worried me a bit. I still think give him the qualifying campaign for 2024, but d honeymoon is now over. Needs a top notch number two, which would help him greatly. Andrews is a spoofer in my opinion. 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:30pm

I think he should see out his contract. Have always backed him but I can't say I don't have concerns. 

We're maddeningly inconsistent under him. It's very rare that we see a solid 90 minute performance. Can have a great first half like last Saturday but can't sustain it. Even against poor opposition we're prone to spells of madness like yesterday that unravels what had been a positive 70 minutes.

We also struggle to hold onto leads when we get them, we seem weak mentally and that's a concern and something that really needs to be worked on. He needs to get another coach in to replace Eustace and hopefully manage to hold onto this one. You'd hope that the additional experience the young players have got will stand to them in the Euro qualifiers but it's last chance saloon and Kenny will be praying for a decent draw. 

I'd agree with this
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

The polling and general public sentiment is fairly unequivocal, most supporters want him to stay on.

Depends on where you look. Here and Off the Ball for instance are in favour of him yet if you look at somewhere like The42 most comments are definitely anti Kenny. Personally, I think the next campaign is going to be another one wasted with Kenny in charge.

Comments are not a good gauge of sentiment - angry people looking to vent comment, people with moderate views tend not to bother. Polling is a far better measure, and every poll I've seen shows considerable support for Kenny.
We're decent enough..
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I'd agree with this

The lack of a leader in midfield is the main cause of this.  The ability to calm everyone else down and demand the ball and make everyone else play that little bit better.  Obviously they have the ability but it doesn’t have to be Roy Keane esque. A Lee Carsley type would suit us big style at the moment in those situations and we have no depth in the middle of the park.  Our leaders are defenders such as Egan and Coleman and Duffy.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

The majority want him to stay but a good percentage of that majority are saying if he doesn’t qualify is for the euros he should then go.

When all the evidence thus far points at him not being able to qualify us for the euros.

Not all of the evidence no, last 4 games vs Scotland H & A, Ukraine A, Armenia H, we have in the main played well, bar an inexplicable 10 minute spell last night, we have picked up 7 points from the 12 on offer and young lads have continued to gain valuable experience.

We are on the right road and Kenny has done a good job bringing lads through. IMO he deserves the chance, on the back of the last 4 games, to now go and prove that he has what it takes to bring this squad to the next level. If he fails, so be it, somebody else will come in and we will go again - I dont think he has done poorly enough given the circumstances to terminate his contract at this point and I look forward to the Euros with a mixture of trepidation and optimism. A poor start in March and he's in trouble.

Right so this is my take on Ireland under Kenny more pleasing on the eye but still our main source of goals is a set piece.

Take last night kenny says we played very well in the main bar 5 minutes of madness and mistakes.

The mistakes happened within the context of Kenny’s style of play goal 1 Hourihane and Collins were way out of position but are encouraged to do so and we get punished.

Also goal two Hourihane plays a square pass to no one but they again are encouraged to play out.

We then are dam lucky not to concede a 3rd.

All this happens in 10 minutes against the 92nd ranked team in the world.
What could a top team potentially do to us in this system?

To be fair we got a winner again with its source being a set piece.

Teams must love coming to play us they know we will try and play ball we might hurt them a small bit but ultimately we aren’t good enough to really kill them and we will always make a few mistakes to get a a few decent chances off us.

And when the pressure comes on we invariably crack.

Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 2:58pm
The campaign began with two unacceptable performances, but the rest of our games have been good enough.

Our biggest problem is games going flat, but that happens less now than before. Last night was a mixture of good play, but there were periods when the game went flat. Too much passing sideways and backwards doesn't help. 

And it can cost us too, as Armenia's second goal came when Hourihane tried a lateral pass instead of playing it forward to Brady.

But overall, there are enough positive signs to keep Kenny in place.

We are much more entertaining, and under him we have scored some quality goals - some of our best in decades. The victory over Scotland was our most complete performance in a very long time.

What we learned over the last number of games is to - cut out the really silly mistakes, defend better after half-time, make more impactful substitutions, and take our chances when they come.

I don't think it is beyond Kenny to do that.
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:19pm
A Few ways I look at it. The cynic and the non cynic both yield the same answer.

The cynic says We cant afford anyone else at the moment and as We are already committed to him for this long We may aswell see it out for essentailly 12 more months. Another new manager would want to rebuild again. the last time We tried results only contract it was mccarthy and look like how that eneded up.

The non cynic sees the structure between the youths and the seniors and sees an easier game on the eye to watch and sees what maybe has been signs of progress and there fore hopes the results will follow

Either way its a results based game. He has 12 more months.  He has no more off road for escuses at this stage
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

A Few ways I look at it. The cynic and the non cynic both yield the same answer.

The cynic says We cant afford anyone else at the moment and as We are already committed to him for this long We may aswell see it out for essentailly 12 more months. Another new manager would want to rebuild again. the last time We tried results only contract it was mccarthy and look like how that eneded up.

The non cynic sees the structure between the youths and the seniors and sees an easier game on the eye to watch and sees what maybe has been signs of progress and there fore hopes the results will follow

Either way its a results based game. He has 12 more months.  He has no more off road for escuses at this stage
playoffs are March 2024 - just saying 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:46pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:01pm
If the players still believe in him, which I think they do. I don't see the FAI doing anything here. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

So the most important thing is that we won last night , it could have been different but it wasn't .

Sounds like you were devastated that it wasn't. The Star called it a hollow victory, rather than the one that secured the 7 points in the group. More than England, Wales, France to name a few, and the same as Germany. They're all getting behind their manager as they're off to the World Cup. We demand a change though, such as the below.

Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Michael O'Neill is available 
Surely a better option

Great. Took him 2 years to win a game at international level. That should go down well with the masses here. 

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Stick, but I acknowledge that the Nations League leaves him with little credit in the bank to leverage if the early games in the Euro qualifiers go south. And sadly, tonight just raises another question about the ability to handle leads, and not drop points to teams that you’d hope to beat, and tonight we’re in pole position to beat fairly handily. 

I’m not sure how many positives I’d pick if we were to replicate this tournament in the Euros. It’s nice and all to believe we’re building, but at a certain point that build needs to yield something.

I know fans love a good long whinge, forums thrive on them, but some of the relentless negativity here and elsewhere, is just insanity at this stage. 

7 points in the last 4 games. Unlucky that it wasn't more. Moan. 
2 consecutive home wins for the first time in years, 6 great goals to enjoy along the way. Moan.
Most amount of goals and points in a NL campaign, by a country mile. Moan.
Demand we win games, then when we win them. Moan. 
More players brought through, more consistency in results. Moan. 

The Ireland Manager job, must be the only one in world football where the manager has to be sacked after every single game, Win Lose or Neither. Competitive game, Friendly game, Tournament game, the lot. Literally every single one. It never stops, even when the demands were met, and the odd year when we did manage to qualify, it still wasn't enough to shut the bawlers up. Unbelievable. Literally Unbelievable. Shocked

The demand in our parish was we have to beat Armenia. We beat Armenia. It's 3 wins and a thrilling draw from 5 home games this year, a big win over the group winners, and Lansdowne is starting to become a fortress again. That should be enough to keep the we need results crowd satisfied for a while. Should, but sadly, no. 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 7:08am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

So the most important thing is that we won last night , it could have been different but it wasn't .

Sounds like you were devastated that it wasn't. The Star called it a hollow victory, rather than the one that secured the 7 points in the group. More than England, Wales, France to name a few, and the same as Germany. They're all getting behind their manager as they're off to the World Cup. We demand a change though, such as the below.

Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Michael O'Neill is available 
Surely a better option

Great. Took him 2 years to win a game at international level. That should go down well with the masses here. 

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Stick, but I acknowledge that the Nations League leaves him with little credit in the bank to leverage if the early games in the Euro qualifiers go south. And sadly, tonight just raises another question about the ability to handle leads, and not drop points to teams that you’d hope to beat, and tonight we’re in pole position to beat fairly handily. 

I’m not sure how many positives I’d pick if we were to replicate this tournament in the Euros. It’s nice and all to believe we’re building, but at a certain point that build needs to yield something.

I know fans love a good long whinge, forums thrive on them, but some of the relentless negativity here and elsewhere, is just insanity at this stage. 

7 points in the last 4 games. Unlucky that it wasn't more. Moan. 
2 consecutive home wins for the first time in years, 6 great goals to enjoy along the way. Moan.
Most amount of goals and points in a NL campaign, by a country mile. Moan.
Demand we win games, then when we win them. Moan. 
More players brought through, more consistency in results. Moan. 

The Ireland Manager job, must be the only one in world football where the manager has to be sacked after every single game, Win Lose or Neither. Competitive game, Friendly game, Tournament game, the lot. Literally every single one. It never stops, even when the demands were met, and the odd year when we did manage to qualify, it still wasn't enough to shut the bawlers up. Unbelievable. Literally Unbelievable. Shocked

The demand in our parish was we have to beat Armenia. We beat Armenia. It's 3 wins and a thrilling draw from 5 home games this year, a big win over the group winners, and Lansdowne is starting to become a fortress again. That should be enough to keep the we need results crowd satisfied for a while. Should, but sadly, no. 
  You are such a dick Embarrassed
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 7:45am
Murph he is right.  If it’s all about results well this year we have lost one game at home and won three and drew one against Belgium.  We beat Armenia the other night and if it’s all about results then that should be good enough. 

It seems unless Kenny gets the result and performances at the same time the likes of yourself won’t be happy, even though very few previous managers have ever had good results and performances at the same time. 

Scotland away was a good performance and a game that could have went either way.  We lost and for the likes of you that’s all that matters, so why is the same criteria not used for the Armenia game. We won so that’s all that matters? 
AKA pedantic kunt
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 8:11am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Murph he is right.  If it’s all about results well this year we have lost one game at home and won three and drew one against Belgium.  We beat Armenia the other night and if it’s all about results then that should be good enough. 

It seems unless Kenny gets the result and performances at the same time the likes of yourself won’t be happy, even though very few previous managers have ever had good results and performances at the same time. 

Scotland away was a good performance and a game that could have went either way.  We lost and for the likes of you that’s all that matters, so why is the same criteria not used for the Armenia game. We won so that’s all that matters? 

From a results perspective we have still underperformed in the group. Armenia away should be a win and we should not in a million years be losing at home to Ukraine reserves. The target from Kenny was to win this group. We were miles off that.

The last two games is admittedly Kenny suffering more from what he has done before than what happened in those two games, but over near 30 games results have been nowhere near good enough and for the performances crowd, the Armenia game showed up some problems that have existed with Kenny for a very long time. Indeed Dan McDonnell had an article the other day about Kenny's teams history of surrendering leads in important games, and this was before the chaos v Armenia.

He has been afforded more leash than any other Ireland manager, and I do not see how so many are so utterly convinced that in March everything will just click. The same patterns have repeated themselves across 3 campaigns so far, the most likely probability is those problems repeating again rather than just vanishing because it's the Euro qualifiers.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 8:39am
He was given a different remit than any other manager.  There was a rebuild job to do and he was asked to do it.  

Every other manager thought about only the next game.  That was not Kenny’s remit.  Many on here and elsewhere seem to have missed that point.  He was brought in with the remit to change the profile of the squad and bring players through as there was no homegrown players from 22 to 29. Also his remit was to change the style of play to suit the younger coming through.  All of this was with a view that the euros would be when he is judged like all previous managers on results and if we qualify or are close to qualifying.   It’s only now in 2023 will Kenny be judged by the same parameters as previous managers having put in 2 years work for the long term health if the game in Ireland.  He has done that rebuild while we didn’t get relegated from Nations league and finished 3rd in World Cup qualifying.  Results have been inconsistent, performances less so but still patchy.  
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 18>
  Share Topic