You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stephen Kenny post Nations League poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 18>
Poll Question: Should Stephen Kenny be retained as Ireland manager?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
135 [79.41%]
35 [20.59%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deco79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 11:11am
I voted Yes in the Poll but I've lost a little faith due to the performances against the likes of Luxembourg losing at home, Drawing with Qatar, Drawing with Azerbaijan at home, Losing to Armenia away, and last nights performance.
But then there's been positive performances against the likes of Serbia, Portugal, Belgium and Ukraine away but he really shouldn't be relying on the likes of Hourihane, Hendrick (two players in decline and that's proven by the level they're playing at now at club level) who'll probably cost him his job. 
If we get two top seeds in the Euro 2024 Qualifiers it probably wouldn't make a difference whose in charge but if we get a second seed that's around our level and the results against the likes of them and lower seeds aren't wins/draws at least then he'll have to go because it's results that'll matter and us not being nice to watch and being unlucky which he has been in certain games.  
Sponsored Links

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 11:14am
So the most important thing is that we won last night , it could have been different but it wasn't .
Two things for sure 
1/ The FAI will not get rid of Kenny .
2/ We will not get to the Euro's under him , simple as that no matter what group we get in the draw . 

Strange game last night no zip to it  at all , shocked at the amount of people watching the latter stages of the under 21s on the concourse when our game was on .

I would say even in defeat last night the poll would still want Kenny to stay , it's just is what it is as Cult Kenny rules really . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

So the most important thing is that we won last night , it could have been different but it wasn't .
Two things for sure 
2/ We will not get to the Euro's under him , simple as that no matter what group we get in the draw . 

Strange game last night no zip to it  at all , shocked at the amount of people watching the latter stages of the under 21s on the concourse when our game was on .

I would say even in defeat last night the poll would still want Kenny to stay , it's just is what it is as Cult Kenny rules really . 

You’re shocked people watched the biggest game the 21s have ever played over watching a glorified friendly? 
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 11:28am

Two things for sure 

Cult Kenny, would you ever get a life.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 11:29am
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Two things for sure 

LOLLOLLOL
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 11:35am
I've been happy to give him time to rebuild up until now. Next campaign we need to see results though. Happy to give the benefit of the doubt up until now but next campaign we need to be competitive right up until the end. If we get the playoff then there's no excuse for not qualifying even if we get an England or France in the group. If we are out of contention early again then it's time to go. I always believed the next manager will be the one that benefits from the work done in the last few years
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Deco79 Deco79 wrote:

I voted Yes in the Poll but I've lost a little faith due to the performances against the likes of Luxembourg losing at home, Drawing with Qatar, Drawing with Azerbaijan at home, Losing to Armenia away, and last nights performance.
But then there's been positive performances against the likes of Serbia, Portugal, Belgium and Ukraine away but he really shouldn't be relying on the likes of Hourihane, Hendrick (two players in decline and that's proven by the level they're playing at now at club level) who'll probably cost him his job. 
If we get two top seeds in the Euro 2024 Qualifiers it probably wouldn't make a difference whose in charge but if we get a second seed that's around our level and the results against the likes of them and lower seeds aren't wins/draws at least then he'll have to go because it's results that'll matter and us not being nice to watch and being unlucky which he has been in certain games.  

Just to clarify re Hendrick, he is playing at the same level as Cullen, Browne and Molumby, more regularly than some of those also, and at a higher level than Knight. His team sit 3rd in the Championship table after 10 games. I think it's unfair to simply lump Hendrick in with Hourihane, who is a year older and now playing in L1, I agree that Hourihane should now be jettisoned. 

Brady on RTE very unfairly imo blamed the first goal on Jeff last night. While he didnt cover himself in glory, you could point the finger at, at least 4 other players who were more/equally culpable.
Idah Dream!
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 11:39am

Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Two things for sure 

LOLLOLLOL
Between the poll here and on OTB you’ve a sample size of around 700 and 65/70%ish want him to stay. 
Are you maintaining the majority are the cult and the loud minority isn’t LOL
And this is the 3rd or 4th version of this vote too 

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 11:49am
The majority want him to stay but a good percentage of that majority are saying if he doesn’t qualify is for the euros he should then go.

When all the evidence thus far points at him not being able to qualify us for the euros.

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

The majority want him to stay but a good percentage of that majority are saying if he doesn’t qualify is for the euros he should then go.

When all the evidence thus far points at him not being able to qualify us for the euros.

I think its more give him a proper shot at qualifying for a tournament that Ireland should ideally be qualifying for given that its 24 teams. He hasn't had a shot yet (excluding the Slovakia penalty shootout loss).
He has had mixed to poor campaigns yes but most are willing to give it one last shot as we do still have a chance if we can cut out the mistakes (that yes are too prevalent at the moment).

A new manager you wouldn't know what it could bring. In most reality it will be a campaign where it reads out at the end that it was also mixed, we don't qualify and the new man also needs time to build

Edited by t_rAndy - 28 Sep 2022 at 11:59am
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 11:59am

Not all of the evidence no, last 4 games vs Scotland H & A, Ukraine A, Armenia H, we have in the main played well, bar an inexplicable 10 minute spell last night, we have picked up 7 points from the 12 on offer and young lads have continued to gain valuable experience.

We are on the right road and Kenny has done a good job bringing lads through. IMO he deserves the chance, on the back of the last 4 games, to now go and prove that he has what it takes to bring this squad to the next level. If he fails, so be it, somebody else will come in and we will go again - I dont think he has done poorly enough given the circumstances to terminate his contract at this point and I look forward to the Euros with a mixture of trepidation and optimism. A poor start in March and he's in trouble.
Idah Dream!
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

I've been happy to give him time to rebuild up until now. Next campaign we need to see results though. Happy to give the benefit of the doubt up until now but next campaign we need to be competitive right up until the end. If we get the playoff then there's no excuse for not qualifying even if we get an England or France in the group. If we are out of contention early again then it's time to go. I always believed the next manager will be the one that benefits from the work done in the last few years

This more or less sums it up for me. The Euros campaign has basically been the aim since Kenny took over and if he doesn't get results that I don't think there will be a debate as to what needs to happen.
The friendlies in November are going to be especially important in blooding the likes of Smallbone etc

Some mad posts on this thread though. Kenny cult?!?!?!?
Sack the manager - But I won't give a realistic alternative who would do a better job.
Kenny's fault for picking Hourihane - Who are you replacing him with in the squad last night???

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

In for me.

He's taken this group on players from U21 to now essentially a U23/24 team, he's had plenty of games to get a system bed in, which is lovely on the eye. Need to give him a proper go now at a qualifying campaign. 

Bear in mind most players don't peak till mid/late 20's, I think he deserves to be in charge when the current defenders/strikers are a bit more mature.
Thats all well and good but the FAI need the massive revenue accrued from tournament participation to invest in development at all levels in the country. Can the FAi wait until Euro 28 to qualify? So its a bit of catch 22 scenario and they are going all in with Kenny. 

So we’ll definitely qualify if we change manager. Good to know.
Do you think so ? I don't think so but think we will have a better chance if we have a decent manager, not a development coach.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I wonder if people are miscalculating the position for the FAI here? Their stated goal (separate to Kenny's goal) is to make the decisions that see us qualify for every second finals tournament. A lot of people here saying "we won't qualify but he should be given the groups" or "he won't be replaced so we have to back him".

They were already very slow to give him this contract and the mid-contract break clause was specifically put in against his wishes so that, if the consensus in the organisation at this point was that he wasn't going to get us to Germany, he could be let go at little or no cost.

I don't know what they'll do now obviously but I don't think him being kept on is anything like the formality many on here seem to think it is.

We are at a point where keeping him does damage. Actual damage.

Players will be disheartened. 

This clown is now speaking on behalf of the players.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:08pm
I think he should see out his contract. Have always backed him but I can't say I don't have concerns. 

We're maddeningly inconsistent under him. It's very rare that we see a solid 90 minute performance. Can have a great first half like last Saturday but can't sustain it. Even against poor opposition we're prone to spells of madness like yesterday that unravels what had been a positive 70 minutes.

We also struggle to hold onto leads when we get them, we seem weak mentally and that's a concern and something that really needs to be worked on. He needs to get another coach in to replace Eustace and hopefully manage to hold onto this one. You'd hope that the additional experience the young players have got will stand to them in the Euro qualifiers but it's last chance saloon and Kenny will be praying for a decent draw. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:09pm

Spain, France pot 1 and 2 and we can wave bye bye to the Euros regardless who is managing us LOL

It is frustrating because we seem to take steps backwards every time it appears we have improved. Let us just hope for a draw that leaves us some sort of opportunity. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:12pm
The polling and general public sentiment is fairly unequivocal, most supporters want him to stay on. A small example of that from after the game last night - I saw some drunken eeijit walking around roaring that we were "44,000 sheep" and that Kenny would be "sacked in the morning", needless to say he was laughed out of the stadium. I expect he had an antivax group meeting to attend in any case.
We're decent enough..
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

The polling and general public sentiment is fairly unequivocal, most supporters want him to stay on. A small example of that from after the game last night - I saw some drunken eeijit walking around roaring that we were "44,000 sheep" and that Kenny would be "sacked in the morning", needless to say he was laughed out of the stadium. I expect he had an antivax group meeting to attend in any case.

That was TJ.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 18>
  Share Topic