You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stephen Kenny post Nations League poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
Poll Question: Should Stephen Kenny be retained as Ireland manager?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
135 [79.41%]
35 [20.59%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:06pm
No, if you put Conor Hourihane on the pitch then your judgement is badly impaired. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Sponsored Links

Rustybedsprings View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rustybedsprings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:08pm
Not a fan but said to keep him. Basically its gonna be the same 20 out of a  23-25 squad called up no matter who is in charge. We dont have the players and wont make this euros regardless. There is no reason to hope. The next manager will need min 4 year deal though as we wont make a world cup anyway, so itll be 2028 euros.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:09pm
I like Kenny but he needs to be more honest when he speaks to the media moving forward.

He often makes excuses or tries to deflect. He doesn't like difficult questions. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:11pm
Stick, but I acknowledge that the Nations League leaves him with little credit in the bank to leverage if the early games in the Euro qualifiers go south. And sadly, tonight just raises another question about the ability to handle leads, and not drop points to teams that you’d hope to beat, and tonight we’re in pole position to beat fairly handily. 

I’m not sure how many positives I’d pick if we were to replicate this tournament in the Euros. It’s nice and all to believe we’re building, but at a certain point that build needs to yield something.
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:12pm
Thanks for blooding players but now is the time for a real manager to take over (if one can be found).
The only way is up
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Thanks for blooding players but now is the time for a real manager to take over (if one can be found).
Yep...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:16pm
Was a huge fan of his appointment and have been extremely pro Kenny but at this stage I'm saying twist. Regardless of the group we get, it feels like we could drop points against anyone home or away in our first game and it's campaign over from day one. I appreciate what he is trying to do, there is still a chance it could come good. I also think we will be better off in the future for the work he has done and that there is no obvious candidate to replace him.

But despite that, I currently feel like we will not qualify for the euros if he stays on. Deflated after tonight. 
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Stay but no fall back from now on. He gets the Euros campaign and we need to perform, he has been given 3 years to transition the team now

It was two mins of madness that nearly caught us tonight, can't blame Kenny for Hourihane's mistake (can blame him for picking him but midfield options are bare with the u21s having a big game)

2 years in the job. 

Appointed April 2020 so he will have had 3 years prior to Euros campaign kicking off was point I was trying to make

His first game was September 2020
And we are now 2022 so he has been 2 years managing Ireland. 

Y

So were he not paying him for the first 6 months? I am assuming he was working.

Regardless, even if we discount that period, he will have had 2.5 years in charge at time of the Euros campaign. I've been a backer of him but he can be judged on results and results alone in next campaign
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:20pm
It boils down to this. 2 years in and we've reaches a point where an Ireland team may turn up and smash Scotland or lose to Armenia. There's something seriously wrong there. 

A shocking draw for the Euros and it good be curtains early.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:22pm
I don’t think we’ll qualify for euro 2024 under Kenny
But don’t think we will under any possible manager either 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Which begs the question, given the choice, would we all rather little chance under Kenny or potentially some chance under "insert manager here"? We know where we're at with Kenny. There's always hope with change. The whole thing is so grim. 

Edited by Banjaxed - 27 Sep 2022 at 10:27pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Which begs the question, given the choice, would we all rather little chance under Kenny or potentially some chance under "insert manager here"? We know where we're at with Kenny. There's always hope with change. The whole thing is so grim. 

I haven’t given up hope on Kenny just get 

He deserves this next campaign

He’s partway through attempting to build something, don’t see the point in scrapping that at this stage.
It’s not like we have a star studded panel that another manager would turn around instantly  
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:29pm
The majority of people who have commented as voting stay have acknowledged they do not believe he can get us to the Euros.

What is even the point then. All that can happen with another manager is we also dont qualify. But maybe we might.

Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:33pm

Stay but no fall back from now on. He gets the Euros campaign and we need to perform, he has been given 3 years to transition the team now

It was two mins of madness that nearly caught us tonight, can't blame Kenny for Hourihane's mistake (can blame him for picking him but midfield options are bare with the u21s having a big game)
wont have that excuse in November - if Hourihane is near the squad I’ll go from being stick to time to move on. He has too many blind spots.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:34pm

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I haven’t given up hope on Kenny just get 

He deserves this next campaign

He’s partway through attempting to build something, don’t see the point in scrapping that at this stage.
It’s not like we have a star studded panel that another manager would turn around instantly  

I just don't know what the barometer/metric/litmus test for building something is anymore. I'm not blind. I see loads of improvement. I'm not worried as much by results. I'm worried by the manner of results. I'm worried by repeating mistakes. I'm worried by Conor Hourihane still being picked when it's been obvious for 18 months he's a liability. It's smaller sh!te that worries me about Kenny.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:38pm

Agree with that. But if we don't qualify for the Euros then you'd have to say Kenny deserves to go, so it feels a bit like what is to gain from him staying on. I think he will stay on and we will miss out on qualifying then he's gone. 
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:39pm
I have not felt deflated about the team for a while. At times it felt like Kenny was onto something and we moved one step forward but then we go two steps back almost as soon as we gain some hope. We can't seem to build momentum- we look defensively suspect and soft whilst we can't hold onto leads. I am sick of hearing the mantra we don't have the players. If we don't have the fecking players then play to our strengths. Defensively sound and tough to beat. But no that's boring hoofball. We should play open football with players not capable. Great idea.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:46pm
If he stays on todo himself any favours he should do a load of media training.
He couldn’t even finish some of his sentences with Tony
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
  Share Topic