You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stephen Kenny post Nations League poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161718
Poll Question: Should Stephen Kenny be retained as Ireland manager?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
135 [79.41%]
35 [20.59%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 1:24am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Was Euro 2016 a success? Meh

Lolz, your expectations dont match the reality. Getting to Euro 24 would be an achievement, getting out of the Group - I'd imagine most would bite your hand off! If we could do that with this set of players given their age profile, it would be huge and we could start dreaming about a summer tour of North America in 2026.

Just think it was overhyped as a success. We only beat Italy B who were resting their players for the knockout stages.  We only finished 3rd in the group.  TBH finishing 3rd in qualifying was also very underwhelming.

We only took the lead against France due to a peno.

I suppose my point is it was a feel good tournament to a degree but the criteria were so generous in qualifying and getting out of the group that it felt a bit hollow and not really deserved.

I wouldnt have 2016 anywhere near 1990,1994,2002 in terms of achievement
Hate this narrative. It wasn't Italy's starting XI, but at the time, that team consisted of
Salvatore Sirigu
Four french titles, two French Cups, three French League Cups,

Andrea Barzagli
1 Bundesliga title, 5 Serie A, 2 Italian Cups. World Cup,

Leonardo Bonucci
6 Serie A titles, 2 Italian Cups

Angelo Ogbonna
2 Serie A titles, 1 Italian Cup

Thiago Motta
2 La Liga titles, 2 Champions Leagues, 1 Club World Cup, 1 Serie A title, 4 Ligue Un titles, 3 French Cups, 3 French League Cups

Stefano Sturaro
2 Serie A titles, 2 Italian Cups

Simone Zaza
1 Serie A title, 1 Italian Cup

plus various super cups and personal titles

Ciro Immobile, Alessandro Florenzi, and Mattia De Sciglio had no major titles at the time, but would go on to win multiple Serie A and Ligue Un titles, as well as the European Championship in 2020

But tell me more about how weak a team it was.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 2:04am
Just one more yes to hit the 80% mark, then I think we can safely close the poll. He's going to lead us in to the next campaign, no amount of chatter on here is going to change that. It's hard to get 80% of any group of people to agree on anything these days, so I'm quite surprised tbh. Anyway, onwards and upwards!
Idah Dream!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Lolz, your expectations dont match the reality. Getting to Euro 24 would be an achievement, getting out of the Group - I'd imagine most would bite your hand off! If we could do that with this set of players given their age profile, it would be huge and we could start dreaming about a summer tour of North America in 2026.

Just think it was overhyped as a success. We only beat Italy B who were resting their players for the knockout stages.  We only finished 3rd in the group.  TBH finishing 3rd in qualifying was also very underwhelming.

I suppose my point is it was a feel good tournament to a degree but the criteria were so generous in qualifying and getting out of the group that it felt a bit hollow and not really deserved.

Hate this narrative. It wasn't Italy's starting XI, but at the time, that team consisted of
Salvatore Sirigu

Andrea Barzagli

Leonardo Bonucci

Angelo Ogbonna

Thiago Motta
2 La Liga titles, 2 Champions Leagues, 1 Club World Cup, 1 Serie A title, 4 Ligue Un titles, 3 French Cups, 3 French League Cups

Stefano Sturaro

Simone Zaza

Ciro Immobile, Alessandro Florenzi, and Mattia De Sciglio had no major titles at the time, but would go on to win multiple Serie A and Ligue Un titles, as well as the European Championship in 2020

While it may not have been 'weak' it was their weakest team they fielded and Italy had nothing to play for.  So it will never be up there for me.

The new Euro format is crap imo and is totally unfair.  It should be 16 teams.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 12:50pm

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Salvatore Sirigu

Andrea Barzagli

Leonardo Bonucci

Angelo Ogbonna

Thiago Motta

Stefano Sturaro

Simone Zaza

While it may not have been 'weak' it was their weakest team they fielded and Italy had nothing to play for.  So it will never be up there for me.

The new Euro format is crap imo and is totally unfair.  It should be 16 teams.

I personally agree, I dont like 4 team groups in a final stage, where best 3rd placed teams get to go through. Far too convoluted a process just to whittle the total down from 24 to 16 and its unfair on the worst 3rd placed teams. I'd actually prefer a 32 team tournament rather than 24. 16 just gives too few Euro Nations a chance to participate in a major finals, we'd end up just watching the same 11 or 12 qualify every time. It's already difficult enough for Euro teams to qualify for the WC (13 spots).

A 32 team Euro. 8 groups of 4, Top 2 progress to knockouts, Bottom 2 go into a knock out shield competition.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161718
  Share Topic