You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stephen Kenny post Nations League poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>
Poll Question: Should Stephen Kenny be retained as Ireland manager?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
135 [79.41%]
35 [20.59%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

But that's it with sport. No one deserves results. If they don't come you suck it up and go again.

Right this moment I'm happy to see Kenny in charge for the Euro's but if he selects Hourihane for the squad again I officially apply to join the ABK crowd.

Hourihane is one of the worst players I have seen play for us in my lifetime. 

Hendrick, Hourihane, Brady should not be selected again imo. 

Brady I'd have back if he can stay fit and is playing well but he has been useless since 2016.  Just think we should cut our losses with him. 

Brady and Hendrick are playing regularly at Championship level and are a full year younger than Hourihane. Smallbone should replace Hourihane. I have no issue dispensing with Hendrick and Brady when others reach that level i.e. playing regular Championship football or equivalent. That is not yet the case, so dispensing with experienced 30yos just "because" seems foolish. 
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

But that's it with sport. No one deserves results. If they don't come you suck it up and go again.

Right this moment I'm happy to see Kenny in charge for the Euro's but if he selects Hourihane for the squad again I officially apply to join the ABK crowd.

Brady I'd have back if he can stay fit and is playing well but he has been useless since 2016.  Just think we should cut our losses with him. 

Brady and Hendrick are playing regularly at Championship level and are a full year younger than Hourihane. Smallbone should replace Hourihane. I have no issue dispensing with Hendrick and Brady when others reach that level i.e. playing regular Championship football or equivalent. That is not yet the case, so dispensing with experienced 30yos just "because" seems foolish. 

Their presence alone in the squad alarms me.   There's a smell of defeat off them.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 7:16pm

Their presence alone in the squad alarms me.   There's a smell of defeat off them.
To be honest they are probably good with the younger lads. But yeah, there’s something about the pair of them. Always seem far too relaxed and lacking urgency on the pitch.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 7:18pm

Yet they're about the only 2 in the squad to have experienced some degree of success and both were key players in Euro 2016, no? Smile

Idah Dream!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 7:20pm
Was Euro 2016 a success? Meh

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 7:26pm

Right. So all those top sides who are spending bundles on statistical analysts to figure out xG and xA etc are wasting their time and money?

See eg Brighton HA last season - finished 9th, but their xG/xA indicated it "should" have been 6th. While so far they're 4th, while their xG/xA is again rating them as 6th. This would suggest that their mean rating reflects where they "deserve" to be, though it will be interesting to see how this goes now Potter's at Chelsea:
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/premier-league/

Given a long enough period of results, teams eventually reflect their "true" form i.e. revert to the mean.

I don't know whether anyone is keeping the xG/xA stats for ROI under SK (or NI under Bara, for that matter), but they must both now be approaching enough rersults on their record to permit a tentative conclusion?

Edited by Territorial - 30 Sep 2022 at 7:28pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Right. So all those top sides who are spending bundles on statistical analysts to figure out xG and xA etc are wasting their time and money?

See eg Brighton HA last season - finished 9th, but their xG/xA indicated it "should" have been 6th. While so far they're 4th, while their xG/xA is again rating them as 6th. This would suggest that their mean rating reflects where they "deserve" to be, though it will be interesting to see how this goes now Potter's at Chelsea:

Given a long enough period of results, teams eventually reflect their "true" form i.e. revert to the mean.

I don't know whether anyone is keeping the xG/xA stats for ROI under SK (or NI under Bara, for that matter), but they must both now be approaching enough rersults on their record to permit a tentative conclusion?

We have Xd.  Expected depression levels for fans stat.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 7:30pm

Lolz, your expectations dont match the reality. Getting to Euro 24 would be an achievement, getting out of the Group - I'd imagine most would bite your hand off! If we could do that with this set of players given their age profile, it would be huge and we could start dreaming about a summer tour of North America in 2026.
Idah Dream!
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 7:31pm

Yet they're about the only 2 in the squad to have experienced some degree of success and both were key players in Euro 2016, no? Smile

And they've both been dining out on that since then,even Brady before his injuries. 

Having said that, I'd keep them as squad players at most as subs or back-up but Hourihane needs to be ditched,even before his disaster-class last Tuesday night. Too old, too languid, too much of a luxury player (even that's a stretch) which we can't afford. 
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

I'd imagine there has been way too much churn in the Kenny era to draw any real conclusions. I'm sure the theory probably holds better when assessing a club side over a season where there arent wholesale changes occurring.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

And they've both been dining out on that since then,even Brady before his injuries. 

Having said that, I'd keep them as squad players at most as subs or back-up but Hourihane needs to be ditched,even before his disaster-class last Tuesday night. Too old, too languid, too much of a luxury player (even that's a stretch) which we can't afford. 

Agreed - I think everyone agrees that Hourihane's time is up. The other two should be kept on as squad players until such time as decent options emerge to replace them.
Idah Dream!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 7:38pm

Lolz, your expectations dont match the reality. Getting to Euro 24 would be an achievement, getting out of the Group - I'd imagine most would bite your hand off! If we could do that with this set of players given their age profile, it would be huge and we could start dreaming about a summer tour of North America in 2026.

Just think it was overhyped as a success. We only beat Italy B who were resting their players for the knockout stages.  We only finished 3rd in the group.  TBH finishing 3rd in qualifying was also very underwhelming.

We only took the lead against France due to a peno.

I suppose my point is it was a feel good tournament to a degree but the criteria were so generous in qualifying and getting out of the group that it felt a bit hollow and not really deserved.

I wouldnt have 2016 anywhere near 1990,1994,2002 in terms of achievement

Edited by Trap junior - 30 Sep 2022 at 7:39pm

CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Does SK still have the worst win rate in our history, or has recent improvements meant that stat lies with Stan?

Kenny still has it by a good distance (based on competitive games) - he would have to win the next 7 games in a row if he wanted to have a better win rate than Stan (although he will have played a lot more games so more difficult).

Wow.

Can you back this up?

Sorry on recount it seems 6 wins in a row. 

Just quick maths so there is a chance I've made a balls of it, but Staunton seems to have had 11 competitive games and won 4, so 4÷11 = 36% win rate.

Kenny has had 21 competitive games and won 4, so 4÷21 = 19% win rate. 6 wins in a row would make it 10 from 27, which would be a 37% win rate. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 7:45pm

Just think it was overhyped as a success. We only beat Italy B who were resting their players for the knockout stages.  We only finished 3rd in the group.  TBH finishing 3rd in qualifying was also very underwhelming.

We only took the lead against France due to a peno.

I suppose my point is it was a feel good tournament to a degree but the criteria were so generous in qualifying and getting out of the group that it felt a bit hollow and not really deserved.

I wouldnt have 2016 anywhere near 1990,1994,2002 in terms of achievement

Nobody will disagree with you there, those World Cups were magical, but we are in a different place now and Euro 2016 gave a new generation a little taste of what went before - I'm in my 50s, so I got to enjoy those World Cup campaigns to the fullest. Tbh we have been on a steady decline since 2002, 2021 felt like rock bottom and I definitely see green shoots, good underage sides, young players gradually progressing in their club careers - maybe, just maybe we can experience those highs again in the next 10 years. Qualifying for Euro24 would be a great starting point.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 7:48pm

Does SK still have the worst win rate in our history, or has recent improvements meant that stat lies with Stan?

Kenny still has it by a good distance (based on competitive games) - he would have to win the next 7 games in a row if he wanted to have a better win rate than Stan (although he will have played a lot more games so more difficult).

Wow.

Can you back this up?

Just quick maths so there is a chance I've made a balls of it, but Staunton seems to have had 11 competitive games and won 4, so 4÷11 = 36% win rate.

Kenny has had 21 competitive games and won 4, so 4÷21 = 19% win rate. 6 wins in a row would make it 10 from 27, which would be a 37% win rate. 

Kenny had had 4 in 9 in the last year!
Idah Dream!
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 7:52pm

Wow.

Can you back this up?

Kenny had had 4 in 9 in the last year!

Correct, and I don't think the stat paints a fair picture. But the poster asked if he still had a worse win rate than Staunton. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 8:34pm
What's the issue with Brady? Think against sides where we have more possession he is a really good player to have for his set plays and also his crosses from deep. He got a goal and assist the last day 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

What's the issue with Brady? Think against sides where we have more possession he is a really good player to have for his set plays and also his crosses from deep. He got a goal and assist the last day 

Defensive responsibility and ability. He's just got that bit slower and he doesnt seem keen on the defensive side of the game. Might be useful vs the really weak teams, but a big risk vs decent opposition in that LWB role. Others may disagree!
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>
  Share Topic