FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStan talks to FAI.ie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stan talks to FAI.ie
    Posted: 29 Aug 2007 at 6:27am
Republic of Ireland manager Stephen Staunton conveyed his thoughts on a number of topics around his selection to ww.fai.ie at today’s squad announcement.

On Shay Given’s recovery from a recent groin injury:

"Shay has been training since last Monday. He’s been doing very well and was on bench at the weekend so I don’t expect any problems but you never know. Hopefully he’ll come through the next week.

Whether he plays or not, that’s down to Sam Allardyce at Newcastle, but if he doesn’t there’s no harm done as long as he’s training.

His experience speaks volumes and Shay will have no problem if he hasn’t played a (club) game. He’ll be well worked when he’s with us."

On the call-up to the senior squad for uncapped Kevin Foley:

"Kevin has done well at Under-21 level and has just moved to Wolves. I was speaking to Mick (McCarthy) who tells me he’s settling in very well. He’s a good footballer with a football brain and also a good defender."

On the effects of last week’s 4-0 victory away to Denmark in a friendly:

"As long as the players don’t get carried away with it because we could have been 2-0 down inside the first 20 minutes of the game. From our point of view, we weren’t closing down properly, weren’t getting there quick enough but the defenders and the goalkeeper done their bit.

After that, I thought we played well and scored some very good goals. Then we got sloppy towards the end of game and gave the ball away cheaply. When we go away from home in competitive games, we can’t afford to do that."

On the goal-scoring form of strikers Shane Long and Robbie Keane against Denmark:

"I think if you look at Shane Long’s goals, his anticipation for the ball going in and the ‘keeper making a save were good. And then he had that great striker’s quality to follow it in with a lovely one-touch finish

The other one was sheer strength - he held off the defender before a cool finish.

Robbie was very brave for his second one to go in and score the header. The first was classic Robbie."

On the importance of these two fixtures to Ireland’s prospects of qualifying for the EURO 2008 Finals:

"I said at the start of the group that we always knew this September was vital and crucial because of the two away games. It’s proved to be that way because it’s nice and tight in the group.

We know what the Czechs are all about. We’ve had the Slovakians watched over the past 18 months and since they’ve changed their manager, they have a younger squad together which is very athletic and strong. We saw that in Dublin with how they could break away.

They’re a useful outfit and I’d say at this moment in time, they might be even better than the Czechs.

To stay on course (for qualification) we can’t afford to get beaten by the Slovakians because if we do, it puts them right back in there and it would put more pressure on us to beat the Czechs.

I think the worst case scenario is that we can’t afford to lose either game."

On his assessment of the performance and attitude of his squad since his first game in charge in March 2006:

"I’m delighted with all the players, even the ones on the sidelines.

Over the last 18 months, everybody’s put in a shift for us and it’s been noted by the staff and backroom staff. We know they’re desperate to stay in the squad; there’s a great atmosphere and they want top be part of it.

I’m just delighted we’ve been able to give the younger crew coming through some time on the park to gain experience.

We know there’s plenty of players out there. Not forgetting Clinton Morrison and Alan Lee doing very well and we’ve also got Joey O’Brien coming back, Steven Reid coming back and Duffer to come back. So it creates healthy competition and that’s all that I want."
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
Sponsored Links

erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2007 at 6:28am
Note how he rates the slovaks higher than the cheques at the moment
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
L.Y.A. View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2007 at 9:54am

Good  positive answers from Stan, and the Denmark result is treated and analysed properly. Robbie Keane gave similar answers for this issue of YBIG-It seems the players are really up for it-but more importantly they have a lot of respect for Staunton and really want to get a result for him as much as anything-

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic