You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD - November Friendlies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 61>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 3:21pm
Picking a hypothetical 26-man Ireland squad for the Qatar World Cup - Pundit Arena

Agree with most of this tbh - not sure I'd take Ferguson though, Connolly for me and I'd probably take a 5th wing back Smile
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Picking a hypothetical 26-man Ireland squad for the Qatar World Cup - Pundit Arena

Agree with most of this tbh - not sure I'd take Ferguson though, Connolly for me and I'd probably take a 5th wing back Smile

How did that article get published
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

It’s Pundit Arena, journalistic standards don’t get much lower in the sports world
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

It’s Pundit Arena, journalistic standards don’t get much lower in the sports world

Surprised they haven't created a quiz yet to see which Irish player would you be.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Agree with most of this tbh - not sure I'd take Ferguson though, Connolly for me and I'd probab

ly take a 5th wing back Smile

Surprised they haven't created a quiz yet to see which Irish player would you be.
Jeez lads, it's just a bit of craic, a hypothetical. Sure aren't we discussing Collins as a Central Midfielder on here! Smile
Idah Dream!
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 12:21am
I was thinking about that match where Georgia played like Pep's Barcelona against us in Tbilisi. Now they have that Kvartshalwhatever guy playing for Napoli who's supposed to be the next Maradona. 
Are we gonna get another world class player any time soon? I mean we haven't had one since Roy. 
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 3:28am
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

I was thinking about that match where Georgia played like Pep's Barcelona against us in Tbilisi. Now they have that Kvartshalwhatever guy playing for Napoli who's supposed to be the next Maradona. 
Are we gonna get another world class player any time soon? I mean we haven't had one since Roy. 

In fairness to Georgia they are an up and coming team who have taken scalps off better teams than us. I don’t think the result was the reason for the backlash O’Neill got but it was more the performance against them. Like Denmark were miles better than us but the media coverage was farcical in the build up to that game. It was made out that eriksen was the only difference between the teams. Obviously losing 5-1 was not acceptable but look at ours and Denmark’s trajectory since that game.  Denmark went out on penalties to World Cup finalists and got to Euro semifinal.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 10:48am

Tbf we have a few okay talents one who many outlets have already dubbed the best U21 goalkeeping prospect on the planet for a start. Youngest goalkeeper ever to play the first 8 games with a PL side astonishing considering the era of money and big spending in the English game at the moment. 
The fact he's only playing for Southampton might temper your enthusiasm a bit on him.

That young lad at Georgia is flying but is more so a breakout prospect than a world class talent at this stage. Give that Georgian kid a chance too. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 10:50am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Tbf we have a few okay talents one who many outlets have already dubbed the best U21 goalkeeping prospect on the planet for a start. Youngest goalkeeper ever to play the first 8 games with a PL side astonishing considering the era of money and big spending in the English game at the moment. 
The fact he's only playing for Southampton might temper your enthusiasm a bit on him.

That young lad at Georgia is flying but is more so a breakout prospect than a world class talent at this stage. Give that Georgian kid a chance too. 

He most definitely is a world class talent! 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 10:57am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

No sh*t!
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 11:41am
Our two stand out underage internationals have gone on to play for England in Rice and Grealish.

All the rest of our top guys have been mid table premier league clubs Coleman the exception.

I’m not including Duff, Robbie, O Shea etc as they were Roy’s time.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 11:42am

And funnily enough, one who would have been written off a couple of years ago if he were Irish.

Just the 3 goals in 18 games for Rustavi in Georgia a few years ago, followed by 1 in 7 for Lomomotiv Moscow, and then 9 in 69 for Rubin Kazan.

Fortunately for him, he wasn't thrown onto the scrapheap and he's really taken off over the last 6 months. It can take a little while to hit the heights...
We're decent enough..
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 11:49am
Presumably he didn't look absolutely hopeless in his overall play, though.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 11:57am

Kvaratskheila looks the business and a young attacking player we could only dream of developing here. Could see Georgia pulling a North Macedonia if they get a handy enough draw and sneaking second.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Kvaratskheila looks the business and a young attacking player we could only dream of developing here. Could see Georgia pulling a North Macedonia if they get a handy enough draw and sneaking second.

Clearly a team on the up after a good NL campaign albeit at Group C level against Nth Macedonia and Bulgaria (both in decline) and Gibralter. Last WCQ campaign, they lost at home to both Kosovo and Greece, lost 5 and drew 1 of their first 6 games before winning the last 2, away to Kosovo and home to Sweden. I wouldnt overly fear them, there are tougher fourth seeds imo (Turkey/Greece)
Idah Dream!
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 8:27pm
The squad pretty much as it stands:

Parrott(20)                 Obafemi(22, IP)                    
                         Robinson(27)                 Ogbene(25)                         
                              Keane(29)                 Hogan(30)
                            Idah(21, IP)                 Connolly(22, IP)        

Knight(21)
                                                Browne(27)
                                              Hourihane (32)

McClean(33, IP)                                Molumby(23)         Doherty(30)
    Brady(30, IP)              Cullen(26)      Hendrick (30)         Coleman(34, IP)
    Manning(26)                 ??????                                        Christie(30)
    O'Dowda(27, IP)                               
    Stevens(32, IP)     
                                  O'Shea(23)  Egan(30)  Collins(21)                      
                                Lenihan(28)  Duffy(30)  Omobamidele(20)

Bazunu(20)
                                                  Kelleher(23)
                                                  Travers(23)

*IP = Injury Prone
**Players in yellow have issues with age and/or injury.
***Players in red are most likely done.

As everyone else has said, midfield & wingback areas are a real concern.

5 midfielders is not enough to get us through a qualification campaign. Need to add 4 or 5 names there. Replacement for Hourihane (Smallbone), backup for Cullen (Coventry), a couple of creatives (Byrne, McGrath, Ronan), and maybe have a look at Hodge or Noss (even just to train with the squad).

We have a lot of injury prone or aging wingbacks, it's entirely possible we go into a double-header missing Coleman, McClean, Brady, O'Dowda & Stevens all at the same time.
Getting a game into Manning I would say is important, and getting Ebosele capped also. Ebosele could be a real asset off the bench vs France & Netherlands (on either flank). If we're chasing a goal I rather see him coming off the bench than Coleman.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 8:46pm
Smallbone, McGrath, Manning, Skyes and one of Coventry/Hodge need to be called up.

We can't ignore Will Keane's form either.

Ebosele need a loan. Coventry needs to leave West Ham permanently in January. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 11:30am
Kenny says he will not use the November matches to experiment. 

“I’m not going to experiment greatly. There are one or two players who are close enough and so forth, from the U21s, but you need an element of continuity now. You don’t want to be just throwing out new caps unless someone has been really outstanding and are the best player for the job. We will consider November in relation to one or two but we want to have that element of continuity for sure.” 

Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 61>
  Share Topic