You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SQUAD - November Friendlies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 61>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SQUAD - November Friendlies
    Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 10:06am
So what do we need to look at in November, I think both games need to be considered separately - the Norway game needs to be taken seriously and should comprise 7 or 8 of the first XI, so that we can see how the other 3 or 4 actually play in a first choice team. There is no need to experiment in the CB area, let the first choice CB's at it and see how they cope with Haaland if he plays. We shouldnt forget Norway are potential play off opponents, so we want a decent performance/result. We should be looking at options to improve the first XI given this is the last serious warm up game. Smallbone as one of the three in midfield and lets have a look at somebody other than Parrott to play alongside Obafemi (Connolly, Idah wont be fit, Robinson, Ogbene, Will Keane). We could maybe have a look at Manning as the LWB.

The Malta game is the one where we should be looking at players who could perhaps fill out the gaps in the squad - Wing Back cover - Sykes, Manning, Midfield - Coventry, Azaz.

20 of the 25 man squad look nailed on imo - 3 keepers, 2 RWBs, 2 LWBS, 5 CBs, 5 CMs and 3 Forwards look nailed on, so there are really only 5 spots up for grabs (1 DEF, 2 MID, 2 ATT). First team looks settled enough now, we still need to find an attacking midfielder and the spot alongside Obafemi is still up for grabs imo. It would be nice to find a more defensive minded LWB for away games vs top seeds also.

Last 2 warm up games before qualifying, I dont think we need to be overly experimental, thoughts?

Edited by John Nice - 03 Oct 2022 at 12:54pm
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 11:45am
needs to be questions answered by sk if he doesnt start manning in this window. seems mental that he didnt even make the squad for the last 2 games.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

needs to be questions answered by sk if he doesnt start manning in this window. seems mental that he didnt even make the squad for the last 2 games.

Yeah the ongoing treatment of Manning is a bit surprising on the bare face of it, but I guess they went Mc Clean and Brady (didnt let them down tbf) in the last window and O'Dowda (who played there a handful of times for Cardiff this season) was in the squad also. In any case, you couldnt be sure that Brady's injury problems are behind him and Mc Clean is 33 now, so dont see why Manning wouldnt be worth another look.

O'Dowda, Smallbone, Manning, Sykes, Ebosele, Ronan, Connolly, Coventry, maybe Azaz are the ones I'd suggest could/should get a look in. Idah and/or Kilkenny if match fit (unlikely).

Longer shots are Taylor (relegation to L1 works against him), Harness (also L1, but in form for Ipswich), Szmodics, Mandroiu, Jack Byrne!!

Wing Back positions, midfield and support striker look the areas where we are a bit short (or will be in the not too distant future). Dont think we really need to be looking at other GKs or CBs at this stage. (Dunne, Scales, Lenihan all a bit unlucky in this regard)

Edited by John Nice - 03 Oct 2022 at 12:57pm
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 1:04pm
Manning, Sykes and Coventry are probably the ones that might be worth a look, or another look in Manning's case - he seems to be in good form at club level. I don't think Coventry has done enough to be honest, but we need better cover for Cullen and Molumby and there's little else out there to fill the backup role in that position, so might as well take a look at him. Sykes covers right wing back and central midfield, and is playing regularly in the Championship, so deserves a friendly cap to show what he can do I think.

A left field call would be Joe Hodge. I wouldn't usually favour calling in a player without senior experience, but it's a position of weakness, it's just a friendly window and a couple of our neighbours would probably call him up in similar circumstances. So, if he's the best prospect in that position, why not take an early look?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 1:11pm
Their shouldn't be too many adjustments and Kenny will most likely put out a strong team to win.

The last thing he needs is another loss. (at home). 

He might call up a couple of those players mentioned and also Coventry and Smallbone from the u21's. But I wouldn't expect them to see any game time.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 1:15pm
To start, I don't see many new names in the November squad as I'd say SK will focus on what he has and it's not like we have many lads that can be aggrieved at not being in the last squad.

But if we want to dip our toe in, then midfield is where we need immediate cover, which was proven so blatantly versus Armenia.
With that in mind I'd have Smallbone straight into the squad.

Coventry or Kilkenny (if fit) - I am not sure as they have done so little in their senior careers but then as stated, it's not unusual for International managers to call up an inexperienced lad to take a look (Mick did it with Connell).
Sykes seems a solid call.
Szmodics could see some form and get a 2nd call.

And if we want to dip into L1 for youth, the aforementioned Connell would be one to watch, aswell as the newly-discovered Azaz.

Edited by Fozz - 03 Oct 2022 at 3:20pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Manning, Sykes and Coventry are probably the ones that might be worth a look, or another look in Manning's case - he seems to be in good form at club level. I don't think Coventry has done enough to be honest, but we need better cover for Cullen and Molumby and there's little else out there to fill the backup role in that position, so might as well take a look at him. Sykes covers right wing back and central midfield, and is playing regularly in the Championship, so deserves a friendly cap to show what he can do I think.

A left field call would be Joe Hodge. I wouldn't usually favour calling in a player without senior experience, but it's a position of weakness, it's just a friendly window and a couple of our neighbours would probably call him up in similar circumstances. So, if he's the best prospect in that position, why not take an early look?

Re Hodge, I wouldn't normally be in favour as I'd say he's a fair way off it yet, but he's a talent and it might be worth giving him minutes vs Malta as I am led to believe there is some doubt over his commitment long term. It will be interesting to see if a new manager at Wolves moves the dial for him or probably more importantly at this point in time, Ronan.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

To start, I don't see many new names in the November squad as I'd say SK will focus on what he has and it's not like we have many lads that can be aggrieved at not beingin the last squad.

But if we want to dip our toe in, then midfield is where we need immediate cover, which was proven so blatantly versus Armenia.
With that in mind I'd have Smallbone straight into the squad.

Coventry or Kilkenny (if fit) - I am not sure as they have done so little in their senior careers but then as stated, it's not unusual for International managers to call up an inexperienced lad to take a look (Mick did it with Connell).
Sykes seems a solid call.
Szmodics could see some form and get a 2nd call.

And if we want to dip into L1 for youth, the aforementioned Connell would be one to watch, aswell as the newly-discovered Azaz.

I think Ebosele, after his in/out, then down to U21s and barely used, is one we should be including and giving minutes vs Malta. It's unlikely I know, but come March he could be playing regularly at the top end of Serie A, even if mainly off the bench.

He's also the type of player who can give a team a lift off the bench. Any time I saw him come off the bench for Derby, he got the crowd up and was very direct. In a tight game, a 10 minute cameo could make a difference.

It would be a shame also to lose a talent like Festy, brought up in the Wexford Schoolboys League, to another association.
Idah Dream!
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 2:08pm
Having looked at u21s, I think Cashin, Smallbone and Coventry would be 3 who could be brought in for a closer look. 

Think the rest are not yet ready. Connolly has ability to get himself back up top if he gets a run together 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 2:20pm
Dont get yizzer hopes up for ay radical changes.

To quote David Sneyd from his one on one with Kenny over the weekend

He insisted that the friendlies with Norway and Malta next month will be used as a means to fine tune matters ahead of the Euro 2024 qualifiers in March, rather than an opportunity for further experimentation with new faces.

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 2:36pm
Be similar to March with Ronan and Sykes. Probably see a couple of new faces just training with the squad. Strongest XI against Norway and a few changes for the Malta game.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Be similar to March with Ronan and Sykes. Probably see a couple of new faces just training with the squad. Strongest XI against Norway and a few changes for the Malta game.

Is the strongest XI sorted at this point? I think there's still question marks at least over the midfield vs the lower seeds and the support striker for Obafemi. Last chance to have a look.

Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Having looked at u21s, I think Cashin, Smallbone and Coventry would be 3 who could be brought in for a closer look. 

Think the rest are not yet ready. Connolly has ability to get himself back up top if he gets a run together 

I like the look of Cashin also and he's having a very good season for Derby by all accounts (Top rated Irish player on WhoScored in League One). I just think he's going to have to bide his time, there's far too much quality ahead of him in the senior set up atm.

Agree re the others, but Coventry needs game time.
Idah Dream!
SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 3:18pm
Smallbone should just come in instead of Conor Hourihane. He's young and talented so has a major upside over that nothing footballer who is consistently awful in a green shirt.

As for others probably just see who hits form I don't see a huge amount of changes either.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I like the look of Cashin also and he's having a very good season for Derby by all accounts (Top rated Irish player on WhoScored in League One). I just think he's going to have to bide his time, there's far too much quality ahead of him in the senior set up atm.

Agree re the others, but Coventry needs game time.

Yep Cashin looks very assured young player. Too bad he is yet another CB! 

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 5:08pm
Id like to see Jack Byrne in the squad. Have to get some creative players in the squad. He looks fit again and was brilliant for Shams at the weekend.
I love beer gardens
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 5:33pm
Byrne is finished with Ireland.

Secondly kenny will make limited changes to the squad he h
a shown he is slow to change.

Barring a big injury list 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 5:39pm
He is not really slow to change in terms of squad selection or even team selection.

There is no media/fan darling being overlooked as there was under previous managers.

His slow to change critics are more about his in gane management 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 61>
  Share Topic